Options

Engine Hard To Turn Over

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
I noticed that my port engine was having trouble turning over, it did start and we went on our way and anchored. Wen we went to leave, same issue, was tough to crank over than it started and we went back to the dock. At the dock I shut down and 10 minutes later I wanted to see if it would crank over, same thing but this time I couldn’t get it to crank over to start. I tried the emergency start switch just to make sure it wasn’t the battery and same thing, struggling to turn the engine over. I smelt something and opened the hatch, it was an electrical smell. The starter was blazing hot. Before I ordered a starter, I want to make sure I get the correct one. My engine serial number is 1A316620 and this is the Quicksilver # I came up with, is this the right one? Quicksilver PN: 863007A1 
2008 330EC
Post edited by aero3113 on

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    My dad has had very good luck with his DB electrical starter.  They are located in tennesee so shipping is quick if in stock and price/warranty is great. 

You can call them Monday with the serial to get the right starter.  Id also do what my dad did and have the original rebuilt as a spare.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m very happy with my DB alternators. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Any reason to go with DB over Quicksilver besides price?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price difference on the alternators was significant (1/2 price of OEM) and one year warranty from DB. What is the warranty on the genuine Mercury part?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    1 year also, only if bought from a authorized dealer. It is double the price though, so curious if there is a major difference between the two brands.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can order a OEM for $70 off amazon... i did not long ago... i'd broke the post off the other one by torquing down the nut too hard...... i didn't need the starter so much as just the rider kit.... that kit? $45... go figure... 

however................ 

make sure you don't have leaking manifold and the starter is (was?) fine... i'll wager that is just as common as starters failing. 
  • Options
    @212rowboat , I have dry joint manifolds not wet joint so don’t think that can be an issue on my engines. What do you think?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    you can still have rust on the inner pipes allowing intrusion... or, as i encountered, you could have water dripping back down the elbow through the exhaust passage and resting on a valve.. 

the reason i offer this is- USUALLY - starters just get weak and then fail- they usually don't burn up windings and insulators unless there is a LOT being demanded of them.  the smell you reported is unique, it's obviously electric, but has a quality to it unlike wires being melted... that demonstrates a starter working too hard... another way to identify if this is the case is to grab the battery wire that feeds the starter... if it's hot? it's drawing too much amperage, and because it's working too hard.  it's most often working too hard because it is trying to compress liquid.  THIS is the way, it's been my experience, people FIRST discover issues with water intrusion in their engines.  

hopefully this isn't the case with you... hopefully you've simply got a bad starter... but... this is your warning and opportunity to investigate for a leak.  fixing a leak now is easy... fixing it after it worsens and causes internal engine damage? not so easy (or cheap). 
  • Options
    What’s the best way to check for a manifold leak? I do know my manifolds and risers are on year 6, I  was planning on replacing them over the winter. Would the engine run fine once started? I guess I can test the starter tomorrow since it will be cooled down and see what it does?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Check your crank case first for water.... next, pull your plugs out and turn the engine amd see if water flies. 
  • Options
    Okay, I was thinking the same. 
    It labored when I tried to start it at the dock the other day, was thinking it was the battery. It started and I shut her down, started again and no issue. Then today. So it’s not like it was sudden.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Be careful buying oem parts online from eBay and Amazon.  Only use reputable sellers with good reviews and ratings.

We had an issue recently where Oregon chainsaw chains were being sold by an online retailer and they were being shipped cheaper rotary manufactured chain.  It happens with wheel bearings a lot too.  

• Options
    aero3113 said:
    It labored when I tried to start it at the dock the other day, was thinking it was the battery. It started and I shut her down, started again and no issue. Then today. So it’s not like it was sudden.
    And that is precisely how ingested water will behave.... water rests on valve, gets sucked in and cant rotate freely... omce its pushed out youre good.... until it happens again... a seeping marrying surface will do that as the metal contracts as it cools at different rates. 

Starters don't go bad, generally, by becoming too weak to turn the engine... the stator not engaging is the way they go 95+% of the time. 

You said 6 years?  Theyre gone, man... time to swap.  Do it now... can be done in a two or three hours in the slip.  Yeah, not cheap.  Dry joints are pricey.  They aren't are expensive as a rebuild, though.  
  • Options
    @212rowboat , hopefully I can look into it more today. If I do get some water out of the plug holes, once cleared should I spray some lube in there till I get everything back together? WD40? You have me thinking that this might be the issue...
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I also did notice that the exhaust note seemed to sound different on the port side at idle. Would this be an indication also?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    And that is precisely how ingested water will behave.... water rests on valve, gets sucked in and cant rotate freely... omce its pushed out youre good.... until it happens again... a seeping marrying surface will do that as the metal contracts as it cools at different rates. 

Starters don't go bad, generally, by becoming too weak to turn the engine... the stator not engaging is the way they go 95+% of the time. 

You said 6 years?  Theyre gone, man... time to swap.  Do it now... can be done in a two or three hours in the slip.  Yeah, not cheap.  Dry joints are pricey.  They aren't are expensive as a rebuild, though.  
    Is dry joint different than closed cooling? When I was deciding on which motor to go with the tech sold me on Closed cooling saying only the risers would need to be replaced.. is that not true? I'm on year 3.5 with the risers and am doing it when it comes out this next time. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @aero3113 has closed loop cooling. He has antifreeze inside his manifolds and raw water in his risers.

While its possible the riser is faulty and allowing water intrusion it would be an easy in the water check so long as he has a new gasket and a little bellow glue on hand to pull/inspect or even replace the riser.  

If he was losing coolant from the manifold id think he he would notice a level drop in his coolant reservoir.  

The coolant system should be able to be pressurized to verify no leaks like on a vehicle. This won't help with testing the riser.

Is your riser cast or stainless?    If cast you are well past due for a change.  Stainless I thought lived substantially longer but I'm not 100% sure, would be a Google question.

• Options
    @PickleRick I don’t have closed loop I’m raw water. But I have the newer style dry joint manifolds which are supposed to prevent water intrusion to the engine. You usually only need to replace them once you start seeing a rise in temperature, meaning there starting to get plugged up. Hopefully I’m just dealing with a starter, will find out more in a little bit.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That huge boat is raw water cooled?  If that's the case you are over 2 years past due on manifolds and 3 past risers. Has it always been used in fresh water?

Makes sense now you got the threaded guide rods from me.
  • Options
    @PickleRick .... i have closed cooling... i still had inversion.  My issue was running water through transom connection with engine not running... i forgot and left it on... 

Dry joint or not the pipes inside the manifold can leak, or it can drip straight back down the exhaust pipe from the elbow.  

Starters don't generally die the way he's described... and I've been through what he describes several times.  It's worth investigating.  
  • Options
    I never had water take out a starter but i did have water get into the motor while sitting.  When i hit the key a starter bolt broke.

Mine was from faulty exhaust flappers.  

Luckily I'm in fresh water and i took care of it immediately so no engine damage.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very surprising that you are not closed loop. If that's the case do you have a way to flush the system while in the water? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @PickleRick always salt

@Aqua_Aura no way to flush. My 242 was the same way also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old 270 is raw water cooled but freshwater. Far as I know the risers and manifolds and everything else are original. Asked my mechanic if being 20 years old we should change anything. He asked " Is the boat showing high temps? No. Running ok? Yes.   Leave it alone.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    In our areas 20 yr old raw water manifolds and risers are the norm.  So are cheap 10 to 15 yr old boats with bad motors!!!  
  • Options
    rule of thumb in saltwater is five years... less if you don't/can't flush, more if you do it religiously... 

there is a stern flush on most rigs, and if there isn't you can install one, that allows you to flush at the docks.  it's a handy thing BUT don't do like i did and run the water without the engine running.  the 'inversion' happened on the elbow in my case... without exhaust pulses pushing it out through the 'ring' of the elbow, it pooled and ran back down the exhaust pipe onto the exhaust valves- some were open, some were closed- before it was over ALL of them had water in them.  

yes- pull plugs and spray the cylinders with a little wd40 and turn the engine over with the plugs still out if there is water present... so long as you catch it quickly there is usually zero damage other than having to change oil a couple times just hours apart.  

with closed cooling all that has to be replaced is the riser and elbow... you can even use wet joint manifolds and with the stainless blocking plate to save substantial dollars... dry joint manifolds and risers aren't cheap where wet joints are... i have a complete set in my barn of wet joint, and i don't think i paid over $100 for the whole set.  

with dry joint raw water, the entire set should be swapped.  I lost an engine to leaking manifolds- raw water- that never showed a sign of leakage EXCEPT for the 'hard initial turn' on the starter.. the engine had a coat of enamel on it i should have been suspicious of that hid the tells. 

• Options
    I never had water take out a starter but i did have water get into the motor while sitting.  When i hit the key a starter bolt broke.

Mine was from faulty exhaust flappers.  

Luckily I'm in fresh water and i took care of it immediately so no engine damage.
    if that cylinder has substantial water, it won't crank... and something has to give.  in the case of a slight leak- less than a teaspoon is in there, allowing it to flood the combustion chamber (fit in there, better said) and allows the engine to turn, albeit under stress... the 'tell' is the struggle of the starter on a cold engine... after the engine has been 'cleared', it starts normally... the best way to 'quickly' tell if the starter is good and it's the engine is to grab the battery cable running to that starter... if it's hot it's drawing some serious amperage in attempt to operate, and 99% of the time it's because water is in the (at least 'a') cylinder...  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Another good way to check for water entering is the spark plugs.  They should have enough hours on them for some carbon build up. If you have some really clean ones compared to the others there is your proof of water.
  • Options
    @212rowboat was right, water in the exhaust manifold. When I went to the boat I checked the oil and the dipstick looked as clean as can be with no moisture whatsoever. There was a little condensation on the oil fill cap and some white sludge on the filler tube, I cleaned both of them up. I tried to crank her over since everything was cool, had the same issue and then it did start, sounded as smooth as could be. I shut her down and decided to pull a plug on the starboard side of the engine and water came out with it, but the plug wasn’t white like I thought it would be. I pulled the risers on the starboard side and there was water sitting in the exhaust manifold. I also saw that half of the exhaust flapper was missing on the starboard side, coincidence or is this the issue? I thought they only prevent water ingestion if water was to rush in? I have everything apart now and will hopefully have the new manifolds and risers tomorrow. What’s strange to me is that there seems to be no water in the pan? Is it possible that it was just getting burned off and never made it down?

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Also my magnet came in handy! I went to shake out the blanket I was using and didn’t realize a socket was still on it, went right in the water!!

2008 330EC