Options

Can't trim down.

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Took the boat out for a spin today and the trim started acting up. It wouldn't trim down for some reason. I pressed the button and either the pump didn't run or I could hear it running but the drive didn't trim down. Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes they stick. Have your heaviest buddy stand or apply their weight to it while you bump the trim button up and down. Don't hold it in either direction just quick bump up and bump down several times 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a solenoid. You can jump across it and see if it works. 
  • Options
      The part of your description is a little fuzzy. "either the pump didn't run or I could hear it running"

I have to agree with the other guys if you're not hearing it run.  

• Options
      The part of your description is a little fuzzy. "either the pump didn't run or I could hear it running"

I have to agree with the other guys if you're not hearing it run.  

What I meant is I push the trim down button and sometimes the pump doesn't run. Other times the pump runs but it still doesn't go down. Maybe a failing solenoid and it's stuck?
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Most likely the solenoid, try jumping it by touching both bolts with a screwdriver as fastback said. If it works then it’s your solenoid. They are only about $15 to replace. 
    Thanks. I will try that the next time I am at the marina. Do you know where the solenoid is located on a 232? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It is possible it could be both.  

It won't be far from the back of the engine on either side.  Usually between the batteries and the transom.  

If it is stuck it will be easier for a heavy friend to push on it after you swap it out.  Will be hard to bump it up and down quickly from a crouched army crawl position, possible but not comfortable.  

Just like any solenoid with a constant hot make sure the power is cut before removing to avoid fun sparks. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. If I can't solve it on the water in the next two weekends I will have all winter to figure it out. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    As another member on here said before buy two so you have a spare.  It's the same solenoid as the one in top front starboard of motor.  

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Most likely the solenoid, try jumping it by touching both bolts with a screwdriver as fastback said. If it works then it’s your solenoid. They are only about $15 to replace. 
    Thanks. I will try that the next time I am at the marina. Do you know where the solenoid is located on a 232? 
    Behind the fresh water tank. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ouch...if its like the 235 there is much more room on the battery side as you can take out the batteries for better room to access the pump.  There wasn't room for much of anything on the water tank side.  

• Options
    Water tank and batteries are in the same side. 
  • Options
    What do they do with the other side?  My 235 had a small hot water heater and batteries. Port side.  This left plenty of room for the trim pump.

The water tank side sat starboard and needed to be kept half full to counter the weight on the port side
  • Options
    Nothing is on the other side 
  • Options
    Sounds like there is plenty of room on that side to add enough batteries for a nice sound system!  
  • Options
    Sounds like there is plenty of room on that side to add enough batteries for a nice sound system!  
    I have 3 Rubbermaid tubs in mine, for storage of items.