Options

Winter Storage

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
What is the norm for fuel tank levels when you remove your boat for storage? Fill it? 3/4 full? 1/2 full? also a good marine stabilizer??
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Add stabilizer and fill it. I use sta-bil marine some others use star-tron. Both very similar if not the same. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t like all that weight on my boat on jack stands so I put it away around 1/4 full. I only use valv tec fuel which is stabilized so I don’t add any more for winter 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Marine Sta-Bil & fuel level low as possible for me.
    Lots of opinions on full or empty for storage.

Fuel expands a lot on warm days & pukes excess out of the vents.
    Huge fire up our way at a boat storage facility in late 2011.

$40M in damages, 75 boats & some antique cars.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Actually I forgot about all the different situations. Indoor and temp controller then low fuel. Outdoor full enough not allow too much expansion. Fuel stabilizer no matter what though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Another one of those questions with many opinions. I leave low, about 1/4 and with stabilizer added. Mechanics suggestion and true, low fuel means more fumes that means more volatility but I am inside and up here it’s much warmer once I am out. Reality - if something blows in there we’re all toast anyway.. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    So, safe to say: inside low level, outside high level then? Still confused
  • Options
    Let's start here. Where is your boat stored indoors or outdoors? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    A friend sent me this link this morning on this subject. I hope this works.....lol

https://youtu.be/pskTjakcyb0

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    More importantly, in either case use non-ethanol fuel!
    I still prefer 1/4 tank or less. If the fuel does get contaminated - much less to deal with. Add a bunch of fresh in the spring.
    Also easier on the wallet.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    CnC said:
    So, safe to say: inside low level, outside high level then? Still confused
    I was told keep the level low irrespective. In theory lower temperatures means potentially lower fumes in the tank where as higher temperatures outside as it warms up under the wrap may create more fumes thereby not as safe, so again in theory a full tank is better - less gap for fumes to build up. But then it will vent out and if vent covered by shrink then it's will go back into cockpit/cabin. The temperature fluctuation outside may also create more condensation in tank especially if non non-ethanol.

So as @Aqua_Aura asked, more info where you are and the storage plan would help to reduce the number of opinions but you won't get a straight answer!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Storing outside, shrink wrapped
  • Options
    Oh sorry, forgot to add. In Ontario Canada
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full tanks here minus whatever I burned on a 45 minute run to mix in the fuel stabilizer. Outside in Ontario. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Full tanks with enough stabilizer it is then. Thanks YYRC!
  • Options
    Where are you moored?  I'm at Bay Port in Midland.
  • Options
    In Kingston at a smaller downtown marina just north of Confederation Basin. Nice little spot
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Jealous! I would love to trailer the boat out that way and spend a month exploring the area, and then boat back up the Trent. Maybe next year if C19 is still a thing and I can “work from home”!
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    I try and leave my tanks close to empty for storage. Water levels are always hit or miss in the spring so don't want to be extremely heavy. It also would take me a good month or two to burn through a full tank of fuel and don't want to be running last years gas in July. 
  • Options
    With the storage issue out of the way I'm wondering if anyone can answer another question(s) for me? Info: 2001 Rinker 340. 235 gallons. 2 tanks I think? or one big one with a baffle? It has a gas filler spout on both sides as well as 3 valves in the line running on the firewall. The starboard side valves are both open and engines as well as the generator run from these. The starboard side valve is off. Both fuel gauges were sitting at 3/4 full when we brought the boat home and both are now sitting at just above the 1/4? If these tanks are in fact separate shouldn't these gauges have different readings? Not understanding this? If both engines have been running off the starboard tank this doesn't make sense to me. It does however list a little to the port side which could mean that the port tank is more full???
    Any suggestions would be welcome. Taking the boat out Friday
  • Options
    Someone just recently posted a chart of the fuel system and valves. I can't remember where it was posted but maybe you can find it in a search. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    That was easy but I knew what I was looking for. Does this help?

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/11662/gas-tank-valves
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks so much. So do both fuel gauges read from only one tank then? And judging by this diagram on the link I should be feeding the port engine from the port tank, with the middle valve closed and the starboard and generator (genny is on the starboard side) then??
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Each tank should read separately.

Yes, you should feed port tank to port engine and starboard tank to starboard engine (with the genny thrown in also).

If you have it configured like the drawing - and use your engines about equally (no genny running) they should use about the same amount of fuel per hour.

Running the genny is about the only thing that would throw off your levels.
  • Options
  • Options
    To drain the fresh water holding tank, pump it out or does it have its own drain someplace in the engine bay perhaps?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disconnected the line to the pump from the tank and let it drain into the bilge.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    You can disconnect it from the pump and it should drain that way. Also there is a strainer on the pump in that same area that could probably use some cleaning as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    To empty the fresh water holding tank you just turn on your faucets and let it drain overboard until empty. There will always be some water left, that's why you also pour in anti-freeze and run that through the system until it comes out of your faucets (all of them). Make sure you use a non-toxic formula made for fresh water tanks.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t like to put antifreeze in the tank, it takes half the season to get it out. If there’s a little water left in the tank it’s ok, it won’t hurt anything. I’ve been doing it for years. You need to pump antifreeze through without using the tank. Make a line from the pump and use it to suck antifreeze direct from the jugs.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Of course you @aero3113 have pictures. You need to just put this all together and make a boating how to manual. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988