Options

Toys when you were a kid.

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
I was talking to my teenage son about the toys I had when I was a kid. It got me thinking about some of my favorites. Do you remember these?

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one that I always seem to remember from my younger days. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Nerf was also really big and super soaker water guns. I think those both came out or just got really popular around my time. I was born in '82. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Nerf was also really big and super soaker water guns. I think those both came out or just got really popular around my time. I was born in '82. 
    Yes I remember that, I was born born in 83
    There is probably a wide age range between the members here resulting in a wide range of favorites. People in their 50's and 60's would probably remember the ones I listed
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the GI Joe and the Evel Kneivel stunt cycle. My brothers had those. Way too poor for the bike. Had a chopper style bike but no speeds or fancy brakes.
    Hey, when I was young we were so poor my mother cut the bottoms out of my pockets just so I had something to play with......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GI Joe Aircraft Carrier. Still have it! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @RiverRat232 - There was a smell to those western figures that's embedded in my brain. Loved that and also the smell from the creepy crawler heater. Good stuff.

I also had Lincoln Logs and Erector sets -- and Estes model rockets.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Estes model rockets were a blast!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Anyone remember pogs
    Yes! I still have my OJ Simpson slammer! LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Anyone remember pogs
    Wow I completely forgot about those. What a massive hit those were for about 6 months. The pog tubes for storage and the slammers. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Must have been made by the gaming commission of Nevada. 

After I made that first post I was actually thinking the same thing. That game was gambling as we did pay money for the "chips" and would bet them. No question about it. 🤣
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Must have been made by the gaming commission of Nevada. 
    LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Some great kids candies from back in the day. 😯 I loved the shredded beef jerky. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I spent my childhood in England. So my dream Christmas gift list included Scalextric slot car sets, Meccano erector sets, Action Man (GI Joe basically,) Airfix model kits, Dinky  and Matchbook cars, the Johnny Seven gun, and anything related to the Thunderbirds TV show. Andy 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    andyd said:
    I spent my childhood in England. So my dream Christmas gift list included Scalextric slot car sets, Meccano erector sets, Action Man (GI Joe basically,) Airfix model kits, Dinky  and Matchbook cars, the Johnny Seven gun, and anything related to the Thunderbirds TV show. Andy 
    This takes me back. I waited in vain for a Johnny Seven Gun. Never got one.
    All the other posts on this page are a mystery to me. I don't know what it's like over there, but here in the UK, old toys in good condition are stupid money.
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    @RiverRat232 - There was a smell to those western figures that's embedded in my brain. Loved that and also the smell from the creepy crawler heater. Good stuff.

I also had Lincoln Logs and Erector sets -- and Estes model rockets.
    I started remembering the details of the Jonny West dolls. Sam Cobra was the bad guy dressed in black and he had a derringer in his belt buckle. Jonny West was made to look like John Wayne. It wasn't just the dolls. It was all of the accessories. Wish I still had those. They are probably worth a fortune.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Another "toy" I loved was my chemistry set. Had great stuff in it like mercury, sulphur, etc. Everything that's bad and banned nowadays.

I remember trying to make some homemade fireworks in the basement and some burning sulpher fell on the floor and started melting the linoleum. Inhaling sulpher smoke is not fun - not to mention my mom was not pleased. 
  • Options
    My Mother still maintains my mental state is a direct result of breathing in my various chemistry experiments 😂. Used to be able to go to the local pharmacy and buy  saltpeter and sulphur etc in large cans and make our own fireworks.
  • Options
    This thread is making me remember some toys I forgot about, I had one of these at some point   

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    This thread is making me remember some toys I forgot about, I had one of these at some point   

Did you have Radio Shack stores where you live? They had an electronics kit like that. Also kits to build your own radios. Fun and educational. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like the beginning of vessel view.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I don't remember where I got the kit but we did have radioshack. I loved taking electronics apart and messing with things. Not always a successful venture but it was fun. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Do recall our parents getting us something similar one year. Didn't have the patience for it and after my Dad stepped on one too many diodes or whatever it all went into the garbage. Too bad. I could have become an electronics whiz and be rich by now.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    How about Zeroids?
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    I still have this one as well as several other Tonka's.
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    And this one too......
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Or this one.....Anyone remember Major Matt Mason and the Space Crawler?

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Talking GI Joe astronaut.  Pull the cord and hear him speak.  Depending on how far out you pulled the cord, he would say different things.  First one was "Ten seconds to liftoff and counting."
    2019 MTX20 Extreme