Options

Dimension and thruster advice/help 340 Fiesta Vee

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Hey guys,
Our 2001 340 Fiesta Vee is presently wrapped up tighter than egyptian mummy in storage and I have no way of gathering this info so I'm hoping someone in a warmer place with theirs still at a dock (or has access to theirs in a heated enclosure and its not too much of a pain?) can help us out with a couple dimensions. This is our first boat that we acquired at seasons end and sadly only had a month or so on the water before setting it up for a winter rest :(  We love the boat but did see that a couple changes would make things better for us. I aleady stripped the wooden table that was inside back to a natural finish (I think its maple?) and would like to remove the carpeted stairs and replace them with nice solid maple instead in the same natural finish as the table will now be. My dilemma is their exact dimensions. We also plan to add/replace the cabin carpet flooring in the same style with an appropriately sealed maple to eliminate the carpet flooring. Thirdly (again in maple) I'd like to make a table with fold down sides to give us a little more eating space and my huge elbows for dinner at the long bench seat at the back of the boat. Does anyone know how or where I can find out these exact dimensions so I can have a good portion of this ready for this coming season and  make my wife happy? Finally, being very inexperienced when it comes to docking I tried relentlessly for the entire month or so that the boat was in the water to get a grasp on docking it with the dual engines. I can't see performing brain surgery being any more difficult. When there is absolute calm I can dock it like a champ but add so much as the draft from a butterflies wings passing by the bow and I'm screwed. I know that it might be frowned upon by some but this is supposed to be fun and I really don't want to waste an entire season (or longer?) practicing bumper boats so I'm going to install a thruster. I have 2 in mind, Sideshift and a jet thruster out of the Netherlands (I think?). Aside from cosmetics and my lack of experience and how I really should have started out with a smaller boat until I got my feet wet (which I'm completely aware of) any advice would be appreciated. Truth is the older I get the more I realize its all about making life easier isn't it?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree on the thruster. Lots of naysayers and critics but it was by far the best money I spent on my 330 and I believe it is one of very few boat mods that add resale value. 

I was able to get some photos of a factory installed thruster on the 330 which I provided to the marina to use as a reference. I am sure there is someone here who can do the same. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the pictures!
  • Options
    I went with Side Power brand. SE-50 with 50kg thrust and 5.5” tunnel. Seems more than sufficient and it’s bigger than the Lewmar that was factory spec on the 330 (as in the photos above). 

Parts (thruster, battery, cables, charger, etc) were about $4000 CAD. Boat was pre-wired with 120v to the bow for the charger. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Have you checked with @diggin2day1 on the stairs and table?  He might already have dimensions for your boat.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    If I were going to add a bow thruster to my previous 342, I would add one of the external ones. Sure it is not as pretty when on plane but it works the same and is a huge savings. While I never considered adding one to the 342, I’ll admit that it has been a game changer on my current 390, I’ve put that boat in crazy spots that I never would have put the 342. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I looked at the price of a Sideshift external mount and it was a bit more money for the parts but totally DIY install. Obviously a big factor to consider. 

I went with an integrated thruster because I knew I would never buy a boat with an external bow thruster, so the idea of trying to sell my boat in the future with one wasn’t appealing. 
  • Options
    Agree on your newer boat (by my definition). I see this both ways. I would not buy a "newer" boat with an external thruster. The definition of "newer" is really personal preference. Here in freshwater where boats are stored 50% of the time, 15 year old boats I still consider "newer". But that said on a boat that is not newer and is thus more affordable, I'd buy a boat with a properly installed external thruster vs no thruster at all. 

• Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback so far, greatly appreciated. Curb appeal doesn't factor in here since my goal is to simply get the thing parked when I want it parked and not be looking for a divorce lawyer every time my wife is my docking mate. Besides, some of these boats look pubic transit buses in third world countries. Their paddleboards, BBQ's, dinghies, bicycles, buoy cradles with multiple floats etc, etc aren't the prettiest. An addition of a thruster that is really only visible on plane that I can't see myself from the wheel is of no concern to me. Like I've already mentioned it's about making life easier. No intrusion below the waterline looks pretty inviting. @Liberty44140the SideShift is my present consideration but I did hear about a jet thruster ( this one out of the Netherlands maybe?) that I was hoping someone may have already installed for their opinion..
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is what you’re talking about, seems like such a simple installation.

https://www.jetthruster.com/
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    aero3113 said:
    If this is what you’re talking about, seems like such a simple installation.

https://www.jetthruster.com/
    Looks like a great alternative, especially for the DIYer!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    The first year i had my 342 i was asking all the same questions.  Researching all the same options.  Don't forget that whatever you choose it will mean extra batteries, and potentially a new charger or additional one. I kept reading reviews about the external ones and kept looking and ended up deciding that if i was going to do it that there were mobile installers down here that litterally would put them in your boat in a day.  The drill they have to put in the hole is nuts.  Now with that being said what i did was take my boat out about a half a dozen tiemes by myself.  That was really the only thing that let me practice for different situations.  I also learned that i cant motor it in all the time.  Some times i just have to get close and throw a line if i am fighting the wind.  Now i feel like a pro.  I still have times that are challenging but let me tell you when you can swing it into a tight spot with people watching it is an awesome feeling.  I was docking at Pussers in Annapolis and the guy in the boat in front of me told his friend "  That i cheated cause i had thrusters".  Kind of smiled.  Looked at him and said nope.  Just two engines.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    This is my first cabin cruiser and also still on my first marriage. I'm too old now to replace either so a thruster is definitely a must for me. I've spent well over a quarter century in prison babysitting convicts and quite numb now to others remarks (also getting ready to retire) so not a chance I'll be  having my feelings hurt by boaters opinions in marinas. I have 3 goals in mind. 1. Get it backed in and tied up without crashing mine or into someone else's
    2. Not getting smacked up side the head by my wife for screaming at her while trying to make 34' of fiberglass go in one direction while the wind and current have something else in mind. All those years working in a prison with some pretty nasty dudes and she still scares me more
    Thanks again for all the help guys, really😁
  • Options
    Oh, and goal 3? To survive if she ever decides to join the forum and read any of this
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I've driven  many boats up to 70' in length, sail and power, but this is my first I/O boat and have had major problems backing up this  342. It's not in my budget this year and will probably look at it next winter. From looking in  the forward bilge area it is occupied with the A/C unit and I'm not about to move it. Guys in the shop say an  external thruster is a much easier installation. It is not pretty but as @CnC says if it saves a slap on the head it is worth it.

Here is a photo of a SeaRay 420 in the shop with a Sideshift unit

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @Grahamu ,When I moved up to twin I/O I hired a certified instructor for close quarter instructions. 3 hour lesson for myself and my two adult sons.  SOOO worth every penny. I can back in my 310 solo no problem now. I highly recommend  a $300 lesson before tearing your boat apart to install thruster, batteries and chargers.
  • Options
    @Pat310 I will definitely invest the money for a lesson like that and its already in my budget but the thruster thing is still going to happen for me. The unit above is such an easy install that a monkey with a drill bit could do it. Which I think is a good thing because some days I feel like some decisions I make would have better outcomes if I had consulted with an orangutan
  • Options
    @Pat310 I hear you, I have a whole season to practice and I was getting better after a month and a half of owning the 342. I'm not one to give up easily. Moving to a new marina this year which is more protected, I have lots of time. I know enough that when conditions are not right to drive the boat into the slip and move it later.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry Graham as well
  • Options
    In my last boat I had a Xantrec Echo Charger installed in the engine room connected to the thruster battery(s) in the bow. I never had a problem with the batteries not being fully charged as most of the time it is only short bursts when using the thruster and at the dock or underway the house battery bank will supply a charge if needed. You just need the right size wire to carry 15 amps to the bow and back. Much simpler than running a 110VAC supply to a charger in the bow

Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex

• Options
    If your boat has a bow thruster breaker, there is probably already 110v at the bow. Mine was prewired. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    My thruster has a separate charger in my engine room, the thruster battery is in the bow a few feet from the thruster itself. It’s a group 24 1000mca battery from west marine. Everything works great and since I have it, I use it! I do run my genny whenever not at the dock so it’s always charging. 

Pics below are the battery inside it’s white box, fully enclosed with its own switch next to the box. Also the thruster itself, side power sp75. Again, single 1000 mca is all it needs. Works well for 39’ 22,000 lb boat. 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    That box should be ventilated if its a lead acid battery
  • Options
    It is on the bottom of the sides 

• Options
    ... since I have it, I use it! 
    It's probably like any other electric motor or generator:  use it or lose it!  I try to remember to give mine at least a few taps whenever I get underway. 
  • Options
    A lead acid battery is not allowed in the vee birth or any living area
  • Options
    @Liberty44140 everyone has different operating procedures, I never run my Genny after leaving the dock except to maybe to make a coffee or heat something up. With the Echo Charger the alternators are charging underway. The thruster is really no different to a starter motor, it's short bursts with the engines running and charging if required. At anchor I normally run the Genny for an hour in the morning and also an hour at dinner time. As long as you have a good cranking AGM battery all should be well and also it is highly unlikely that the thruster is being used without the engines running. The Echo Charger was for me was the best solution and less expensive.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Grahamu said:
    A lead acid battery is not allowed in the vee birth or any living area
    Maybe "should not be allowed" ... my 370 has the thruster battery and charger under the v-berth.  I agree it's not the best setup.  A couple years ago, the battery shorted and overheated, venting gas into the cabin.  

Oh, wait -- maybe it was an AGM, not lead acid.
  • Options
    @LaRea if it was factory installed it would have been an AGM as per ABYC regs