Options

Anchor Snubber/bridal

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’m thinking about buying a snubber/bridal for when anchoring out. I normally put out the 30’ of chain, then another 10’ of rode (I’m normally in 5’ of water when anchoring). Do you think 20’ is over kill or 15’ or even 10’ would be fine? Also what are your thoughts on using one of these?

https://dbropes.com/products/5-8-x-20-three-strand-anchor-snubber?variant=28590732869737&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-03-27&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiA6aSABhApEiwA6Cbm_00JVim8hMEW5IXI03h736k_hTUkB0F1f43Oddii2OXfXd9KA9nAUhoC1PgQAvD_BwE

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the purpose? To relieve stress on the windlass?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yes, and less swaying and noise through the day/night.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I think you would be fine with a 1/2" x 12'. You also need to think about how you are going to attach it to the chain and also taking it off if the wind picks up
  • Options
    Finding a hook/clasp I don’t think will be an issue but I also thought about the wind. Having the foot pedals up at the bow will hopefully help with that.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    1/2 " spring hook will work if it goes through the chain
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Try a Prusik knot.  Once you do, you'll be hooked!  really simple to put on each time.  I keep a dedicated line for it since it can get a little wet depending on how long and far down you let it go.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn , do you happen to have any pics of it in use? Do you tie it to the cleat in the locker or a cleat off the bow?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Last year while anchored in Block Island for a week I made a bridle and used a Prusik knot to attach to my anchor rode... ends of the bridle went to the forward cleats. Made a huge difference in swaying and a huge noise reduction(regular rode would make noise while swaying against the pulpit). If you have enough chain and your in shallow water(GSB) then I think that bridle you’re looking at will be perfect(prusik knot was a little time consuming, but a stainless clip for the chain would’ve been easy). I think 20’ is a bit long... for my fv270 I used a 20’ dock line as my make-shift bridle... that would put it at about 9’ including the prusik knot. 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 I have 30’ of chain and mostly anchor in the Connetquot River. What length do you think would be good? Obviously I anchor at other areas also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    10' is generally fine for most boats, Rope diameter is more important, 1/2" for boats up to 35'. As diggin2day1 says you put the looped ends over your forward cleats, then the other end you have to bring up through the anchor platform and attach to the chain, then let out the anchor chain until the bridle takes the strain of the anchor. Stops swaying, reduces noise and strain on the windlass.
  • Options
    Thanks @Grahamu , good video!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    I'll have to try that chain clip.  I have used a Prusik knot bridle, and it works.  But with my boat's anchor pulpit, setting and removing a Prusik knot requires acrobatic work.  Most people would call me fit and agile, but sometimes I don't want that sort of workout on a Sunday morning.  
  • Options
    I think it would be a lot easier to decide on length if I had all chain. I’m worried that I won’t be able to but out enough length once all of the chain is out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Your first post said you normally anchor in 5' depths. So 5' + 3' to the anchor pulpit equals 8' x 5 or 40' of rode in normal conditions. You have 30' of chain plus 12' of bridle equals 42' of rode. If you have a 20' bridle you can anchor in 6 to 7' normal conditions. Any greater depth and you would need to secure to the anchor rope and there are options for that.
  • Options
    Thank you @Grahamu makes complete sense.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I agree exactly with what Grahamu just said.

Now, for those that are having issues doing the Prusik, well, LaRea, you just need to practice.  I  can usually throw it on in 5 seconds and nothing acrobatic.  You do realize you put in and then drop the rode out a bit more?  I have had concern if I had to pull anchor immediately. I can take it off quick, but is still a little concern for me. If I'm rafted, my prusik line is under the lines holding other boats as well.  I guess in an emergency I can at least start motors to keep from moving.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Aero, with what a handy guy you are you could make that bridle yourself and save $100.00. Splicing three strand is easy. When I bought my 310 and needed to save money on all the big boat needs, I bought 150 ft of 5/8 three strand and spliced the eyes myself to make a set of dock lines.They are still going strong, I used it on the 390 this summer. You can do it! (Thanks to YouTube)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks @Liberty44140 ! Could be a fun project!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    There is a post I think in 2017 on this subject showing how to tie this knot. I will try and find it. 
  • Options
    It's called " Anchoring - Bridle or not.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    @Dream_Inn here's the part I don't get.  If your anchor rode is hanging straight down, how do you reach it to attach the Prusik knot?  Do you belly-crawl onto the pulpit?  Otherwise, you'd need monkey-long arms to reach down from above the rail.  (I am not equipped with monkey-long arms!)  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way in picture it, you attach the prusik inside the bow pulpit roller while it’s right in front of you and then let more Rhode out while holding the ends of the prusik. I’ve only ever done a snubber with all chain though so that may be wrong, I’m sure dream will share the technique :)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have to feed the prusik under the bow roller “hoop” first, I assume?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I typically do reach out and grab the line after the roller/pulpit, but I have also connected it right outside the windlass when it's tight from high wind, then let it go over the roller.  You could also use a hook to grab it too.  One end of my line has a loop in it already, so I make that side slightly shorter to adjust for the amount I'll need on other end to tie to clear.  I thought about making a loop on other end as well.