Advice on first dinghy - second question where do you store the motor and fuel?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
I’m looking for a dinghy suitable for my 270 Fiesta Vee. Itt try will be my first dinghy. It will be set up on my swim platform davits. It’s just to get to shore for my wife and I or short harbor cruising when on anchor. Weight is an issue so I’d like something light. I’ve decided on an air floor 8 to 9 foot dinghy, but not sure on the brand. I’ve decided on the motor, a Suzuki 2.5 hp or 4 hp. Any thoughts?  What do you have? 
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I have had both an inflatable keel (aluminum panel floor) and now have a RIB. The inflatable keel was perfect for flipping up on davits with motor removed. Air floor dinghys feel unstable to me but they are priced well. 

Gala F240: http://www.galaboats.com/en/products/81/gala-foldable-tenders.html

I would recommend a dinghy length of less than your beam. My old boat’s beam was 8.5’ and the 7’10” dinghy was perfect. 

I like the look and the smaller tube diameter that the Gala dinghys offer. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    my beam is 9 feet 2 inches so a 9 footer will work.  I’ll check out the gala dinghies. Never heard of the brand! Thanks. 
    The Gala 270 would be the right size for me but it’s too heavy at 88 lbs
    Take a look at the slatted deck. Good compromise between air deck and panel floor. You don’t need the inflatable keel with such a small motor. 

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a price list somewhere for the Gala boats?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    http://www.galaboats.com/gala-contacts/67.html

Maybe one of the dealer websites has pricing?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    West Marine brand is also decent for first dinghy (actually that is what I have now as my 2nd dinghy since 2007).  I'd recommend 8'6" for the length.  You want a couple inches to spare compared to your beam.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I’ve been thinking about getting a dinghy this season. Probably just go with West Marine. What are the collective thoughts on davits? I don’t like the idea of a flip up. Looking for a slide on, I think.
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    I have a cheap one from west marine from the last 6 year and it is being great so far, plus a 4hp small Mercruiser engine. 
    edited February 2021
    @oscar1 What are those 4 flat pieces on the sides?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    oscar1 said:

That would make a fun kids bed!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of a gala, looks like a very nice dinghy 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    The four  pieces on top are like soft foam material to keep the dingy in upside down at the bow without scratching the gelcoat and to worry about any rain.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ponder Hypalon over PVC for the material too. Worth the upgrade IMO. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    oscar1 said:
    The four  pieces on top are like soft foam material to keep the dingy in upside down at the bow without scratching the gelcoat and to worry about any rain.
    Ok that's cool. That's the worst when you see dinghy's filled with gross water and debris. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Ponder Hypalon over PVC for the material too. Worth the upgrade IMO. 
    I would invest the extra $$ for Hypalon on a center console dinghy but not on a tiller steer. 
    An 8'6" West Marine dinghy with a 3.3hp 2stroke Merc is what I have.  I think it is perfect for what most boaters would need as a dinghy.  The motor is 28lbs.  I use the weaver davits and use the leverage of the bar on the transom with a line to pull the dinghy up.  Works very well and is very easy.  I've had 5 year olds easily pull it up.

I have an 8hp 2 stroke Evinrude that I really love and thought the kids would use more often, but just haven't.  She is 56lbs and just a bit much for my current dinghy.  I should sell it, but it starts on the first pull and idles and runs so nice.  My dock neighbor almost bought it but then decided he wanted to go electric.

I’ve been thinking about getting a dinghy this season. Probably just go with West Marine. What are the collective thoughts on davits? I don’t like the idea of a flip up. Looking for a slide on, I think.
    Slide on is much easier to deal with, I think the Hurley H3O is the best option on the market right now for that. I have the H2O and I’m happy with them. 

I was seriously considering the west marine PRU 3, they were on sale for only $699 around Black Friday. Then I read the reviews and some people that were disparaging the quality. Probably should’ve reconsidered and bought it at that price. 
    Going to take a look at the Suzuki 2.5 hp and the Suzuki 4 hp today. I want to get a feel for the weight difference
    Found a pic of my old boat/dinghy setup. I never liked the Weaver glue-on pads so I used brackets that mount to the transom and floor instead. 

The Hurley H3O davit is awesome!

The downside to PVC is eventually the sun kills it. So a lot depends where you boat at and the sun exposure. Generally 10 or so years in moderate sun exposure, far less in say FL.  Being covered helps too.  The Hypalon is a definate cost adder though. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    10 years for PVC? I could probably get 20 years out of it here. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Yeah, I just can't see paying the extra cost for a hypalon or expensive dinghy.  We use ours a lot, like a lot, and I still wouldn't spend a ton on it.  What makes a huge difference is really deep cleaning at least one a year.  I get it like new over each winter.  Spray a UV protectant on it once a while and you'll be good to go.

• benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    On the stbd side of my swim platform are two white covers I thought were for davit mounts. All the pics I’ve seen for slide-ons are spread wider across platform. Anyone use these for your davits?
    When my 270 Airdeck died (PVC sun exposure broke down the in internal bladder dividers glue) I went with the AB9.5AL, was not cheap but way more capable with 4 adults, the 270 would near sink with 3 adults 😆😆. While the AB9.5 is bigger in all regards to the 270, it is actually near 10# lighter!  Add in the deep-v AL hull and it skips right along, you stay dry too. 👍🏻  Plus no worries when beaching it. 

Lots of options out there to suit any budget!  All these outboard motor cruiser types coming out you totally lose the dinghy option. 🤷🏻‍♂️  Deal breaker for me!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I have a Zodiac Aero 7'7" which is small and light, fits exactly on the swim platform without overhang. I am able to store it in the slip floating next to the bow of my Rinker. Power is a Honda 2hp outboard, air cooled and rather loud, but it is simple, powerful enough and always starts. My only real criticism of this Zodiac is the bailing drain valve, photo below, which fell apart. I replaced it with a simple tethered plug which works great. Otherwise, Zodiac invented the category and even though China-sourced is good quality. Andy

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I store my Honda on a wood bracket I built that clamps to the wet bar hand rail. Cover is from Ocean South. The only fuel I used in all my small gasoline engines is TruFuel in 32 oz cans. I store it in a spare cup holder. 93 octane, no dreaded ethanol and a two year shelf life! The Honda sips fuel, so a can lasts a long time. Andy.

edited February 2021
    My motor stays on the dinghy. Gas in can in the dinghy bow locker. 
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited February 2021
    My boat is just a 270.  I don’t think I could use that sort of dinghy storage system with the engine and dinghy all the way back there on my swim platform, just too much weight for the boat with my single engine.