Moving To FLA- Need Boat Recommendations

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
We are nearly locked into a home in Bradenton / Lakewood Ranch. Now, I have to figure out my boat situation. Keep or sell my 99 Rinker.  Likely sell, then find a center console to rack and trailer?  I will fish a lot, family likes to do a full day at the sandbar / beach.  Would want some creature comforts.  Would like to take to other parts of FLA. 

Thought I'd get recos from here, you guys seem to know a thing or two about boats ;).

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exciting!  Ok, for starters, how much do you trust your boat?  That will determine how far offshore you can go to fish.  
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Ft Myers FloridaMember Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 2 motors and 24 minimum to go off shore. CC with a porta potty is a must. There is a CC hybrid with a front cuddy. I like that concept. Yamaha or Suzuki out boards are doing really well here. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    2 motors are over rated for the average person, contrary to what the consensus on thehulltruth says.  The only thing i like with an outboard vs i/o out on the sand bars is if you make a bone head move and anchor where the tide leaves you beached your outdrive can be lifted where your stern drive can't.  

If you like the 270 and you can fish comforably off her she will be great for the family.   Dont force a trip out if the weather/waves are worse than forecasted.  Change your plans to some protected fishing spots instead.  Your family will thank you. 

I wouldnt hesitate to run my single screw to the Bahamas and back if i had the time and weather was right.  

I rent some pretty beat up single motor 20 to 22 footers every summer and fish from 100 yds off shore to 10 miles off shore. 

• MarkBMarkB OntarioMember Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Center console with hardtop and 2 outboards.  

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• randy56randy56 Newburgh INMember Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey congratulations. first you have to decide inshore or off, there is not a boat for both. skinny water is the reason. Great catching in both waters. tons of great inshore, skeeter, Key West and more. Look at Cape Horn for offshore. you may want to come on down first. Go on a couple guided trips. then decide. 
    Boat Name : 

• RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    We stay a friends place in Cortez and we rent boats from Cannon's Marina. I would suggest renting different boats to find out what you like.
    https://cannons.com/boat-rentals-sarasota/
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Great idea for the rental!  My boat is in good shape but I need a reason to upgrade. I am hearing for inshore and offshore fishing, I need 2 boats.  
    Great idea for the rental!  My boat is in good shape but I need a reason to upgrade. I am hearing for inshore and offshore fishing, I need 2 boats.  
    It depends what you want to catch
    Right now in Florida you can’t keep very much inshore fish so you have to go off shore to catch fish you can keep and eat
    Right now in Florida you can’t keep very much inshore fish so you have to go off shore to catch fish you can keep and eat
    Is that recent?   Based on location?  We were legally catching snapper just yards off shore in June, got a few keeper mangrove in the canal.  
    10 inch min size to keep mangrove right now. FL fishing rules change a lot. compared to Other states. Always keep up on current rules.
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    I was dumb and brought my I/O to Florida. Don't be dumb like me! Although, it is nice waking up on it on the weekends!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Member Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we move to FL, will be going with a 28-32 ft twin outboard center console. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Not sure of the water ways in  Bradenton, you probably will get more bang for your buck selling your Rinker at home. Then make the change after coming down here.
    Boat Name : 

• rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Boats are a premium here in northern IL, it's in good shape and well taken care of, I'll probably get more than I paid for it- bought during the '08 crisis from a mortgage broker.

I'm hunting for a 26+ twin 250 CC, just add it to my mortgage.  WTH is up w home insurance prices in FLA, dam!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hunting for a 26+ twin 250 CC, just add it to my mortgage.  WTH is up w home insurance prices in FLA, dam!
    Hurricanes and sinkholes. And in about 50 years a lot of properties will be under water as sea levels rise.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    randy56 said:
    10 inch min size to keep mangrove right now. FL fishing rules change a lot. compared to Other states. Always keep up on current rules.
    I pay for a fishing app, you snap a pic and it identifies the fish and gives you size/catch limits.   The mangrove is also different from the Atlantic side to the bay(gulf) side.  I caught way more mangrove this past year than i did lane or yellow, normally it's more lane and yellow.    Once I identify said fish I double check it with the fwc online to make sure it's updated.   As far as i know the snapper are free game shore to 3miles off shore.