Moving To FLA- Need Boat Recommendations

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
We are nearly locked into a home in Bradenton / Lakewood Ranch. Now, I have to figure out my boat situation. Keep or sell my 99 Rinker.  Likely sell, then find a center console to rack and trailer?  I will fish a lot, family likes to do a full day at the sandbar / beach.  Would want some creature comforts.  Would like to take to other parts of FLA. 

Thought I'd get recos from here, you guys seem to know a thing or two about boats ;).

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exciting!  Ok, for starters, how much do you trust your boat?  That will determine how far offshore you can go to fish.  
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 2 motors and 24 minimum to go off shore. CC with a porta potty is a must. There is a CC hybrid with a front cuddy. I like that concept. Yamaha or Suzuki out boards are doing really well here. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    2 motors are over rated for the average person, contrary to what the consensus on thehulltruth says.  The only thing i like with an outboard vs i/o out on the sand bars is if you make a bone head move and anchor where the tide leaves you beached your outdrive can be lifted where your stern drive can't.  

If you like the 270 and you can fish comforably off her she will be great for the family.   Dont force a trip out if the weather/waves are worse than forecasted.  Change your plans to some protected fishing spots instead.  Your family will thank you. 

I wouldnt hesitate to run my single screw to the Bahamas and back if i had the time and weather was right.  

I rent some pretty beat up single motor 20 to 22 footers every summer and fish from 100 yds off shore to 10 miles off shore. 

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Center console with hardtop and 2 outboards.  

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey congratulations. first you have to decide inshore or off, there is not a boat for both. skinny water is the reason. Great catching in both waters. tons of great inshore, skeeter, Key West and more. Look at Cape Horn for offshore. you may want to come on down first. Go on a couple guided trips. then decide. 
    Boat Name : 

• RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    We stay a friends place in Cortez and we rent boats from Cannon's Marina. I would suggest renting different boats to find out what you like.
    https://cannons.com/boat-rentals-sarasota/
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Great idea for the rental!  My boat is in good shape but I need a reason to upgrade. I am hearing for inshore and offshore fishing, I need 2 boats.  
    Great idea for the rental!  My boat is in good shape but I need a reason to upgrade. I am hearing for inshore and offshore fishing, I need 2 boats.  
    It depends what you want to catch
    Right now in Florida you can’t keep very much inshore fish so you have to go off shore to catch fish you can keep and eat
    Right now in Florida you can’t keep very much inshore fish so you have to go off shore to catch fish you can keep and eat
    Is that recent?   Based on location?  We were legally catching snapper just yards off shore in June, got a few keeper mangrove in the canal.  
    10 inch min size to keep mangrove right now. FL fishing rules change a lot. compared to Other states. Always keep up on current rules.
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I was dumb and brought my I/O to Florida. Don't be dumb like me! Although, it is nice waking up on it on the weekends!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we move to FL, will be going with a 28-32 ft twin outboard center console. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Not sure of the water ways in  Bradenton, you probably will get more bang for your buck selling your Rinker at home. Then make the change after coming down here.
    Boat Name : 

edited February 2021
    Boats are a premium here in northern IL, it's in good shape and well taken care of, I'll probably get more than I paid for it- bought during the '08 crisis from a mortgage broker.

I'm hunting for a 26+ twin 250 CC, just add it to my mortgage.  WTH is up w home insurance prices in FLA, dam!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hunting for a 26+ twin 250 CC, just add it to my mortgage.  WTH is up w home insurance prices in FLA, dam!
    Hurricanes and sinkholes. And in about 50 years a lot of properties will be under water as sea levels rise.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    randy56 said:
    10 inch min size to keep mangrove right now. FL fishing rules change a lot. compared to Other states. Always keep up on current rules.
    I pay for a fishing app, you snap a pic and it identifies the fish and gives you size/catch limits.   The mangrove is also different from the Atlantic side to the bay(gulf) side.  I caught way more mangrove this past year than i did lane or yellow, normally it's more lane and yellow.    Once I identify said fish I double check it with the fwc online to make sure it's updated.   As far as i know the snapper are free game shore to 3miles off shore.  
    We'll be in the Bradenton / Sarasota.  About 75% of the time we will be doing sandbars and restaurants as a family and w friends, 25% fishing, etc.  I am thinking...do I keep my 270 and then do rental / guides for fishing for the first few years until I get things figured out.  What's the impact of saltwater on the engine, etc?  There's marinas that rinse / flush and rack your boat for $600 a month, is this sufficient?  Thanks!
    We'll be in the Bradenton / Sarasota.  About 75% of the time we will be doing sandbars and restaurants as a family and w friends, 25% fishing, etc.  I am thinking...do I keep my 270 and then do rental / guides for fishing for the first few years until I get things figured out.  What's the impact of saltwater on the engine, etc?  There's marinas that rinse / flush and rack your boat for $600 a month, is this sufficient?  Thanks!
    If you don't already have a closed cooling system, it might be a good idea to install one.
    https://www.perfprotech.com/mercruiser-gm-50l57l-v8-fresh-water-cooling-systems/category/1291
    edited March 2021
    There is an issue with adding a closed loop system to a raw water system, that issue is rust.  

There is going to be scale in the cast iron block even if run in fresh water only. Putting antifreeze in it will cause the rust to flake off. Those flakes will then clog up bottle neck passages in the block and in the heat exchanger. Think of what a rusty fuel tank does to a carburetor on an old motorcycle, car or lawn mower.  

The salt water will take years...a decade or more to eat through a cast iron block but only 3 to 5 years on the manifolds/risers.  That is with flushing properly and regular use.  Just run on ear muffs after running in the salt.  

Unless you tear the block down to heat tank it I'd change manifolds regularly and run as is until she dies.  Then install closed loop on the replacment motor.

I've been using salt off, after every outing. Flushing engine, boat and trailer. I've talked to people that used marinas like you mentioned. They make a big difference. Especially when you go to sell. Documented flush, will tell the buyer. it's not junk. 

Boat Name : 

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    If the budget allows, there’s just no downside to these new center consoles with 2 outboards. 
    edited March 2021
    If the budget allows, there’s just no downside to these new center consoles with 2 outboards. 
    Taxes on 2 individual motors plus taxes on boat.  In my state anyway.  I still prefer the comfort of the older keel shamrock walk around with a single inboard diesel.  Not fast but better range and easier on the bank account.  
    The problem I have with many center consoles is there is no place to get out of the weather if you wanted to. I know some have cabins but it seems like those are the extremely expensive ones.

There is never a need to get out of the weather in Florida it's nice everyday but if it rains they make custom t-tops and bimini tops
    edited March 2021
    T tops and bimini isn't going to help you when the rain is coming in sideways. Even when fishing with a good forecast evening scattered thunder storms are a constant in the south.  A t top can be enclosed in with removable sides like a soft pilot house, that wood keep an adult or two, maybe adult and 2 kids dry.

A walk around will enable the family to go down below while you brave it out.

Even when it's 90 degrees out and water is 85 degrees I get cold out in the rain.  Im hard top how do I don't care what the weather throws at me but i used to keep an insulated rain jacket and snorkelling goggles on my sailboat.  Kept me warm and being i had no windshield i could still see while keeping my bow into the waves/wind. 
    Perhaps a trip to where your relocating to. would be wise. The weather is mostly warm in southern FL. There are rain days, but not all day. the one's ya say home and get stuff done there. There is a sunny day ahead. Nothing like in the upper part of the US. I still say you should sell your boat at home. Willhound just sold his this fall. And did very well. A CC boat is the most desirable down there. Either and off shore or inshore. 
    The thing you have to be where of buying down there is. did the guy take care of it. Meaning every time it is taken out, was the engine flushed out. Some people down there have so much money, they don't care. They will just buy a new one. 
    Salt water so harsh, new friend I had meet, down there. bought a used 25 hp for a small fishing boat, it only had 100 hours on it. He brought it home. Installed it. Found water was not circulating. So he put salt away in the engine. That broke up all the salt deposits. However it clogged up all the passageways. And he had to take it to the shop to be completely torn down and repaired. Cost was almost as he paid for it. 
     Not trying to scare you, just educate, as if I had not lived there for 3 months I would not have known either. 
    The coldest fishing day we went out was with Handy it was 42in the am, first part of January. But it quickly warmed up to mid 50's. Not that bad. Just need a jacket. He will say different because he is a soft FL guy now. 
    Boat Name : 

If I ever hit the jackpot... just noticed this new floating condo... holy awesome.

https://www.regalboats.com/model/42fxo-yacht/

Ultimate florida cruiser... 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of these outboard boats coming out, there going to run out of available slips. How do you board a boat like that if there’s no fingers and the only way to board is from the stern of the boat?
    2008 330EC