Options

Lithium Batteries

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
I couldn't afford AGM, I can only imagine what these cost. 11 year warranty, I wish the cell phone companies took note. Of course, then they couldn't sell you a new phone every 3 or 4 years. 
https://www.canadianyachting.ca/products/electrical/6102-total-battery-dakota-batteries
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a bit pricey although I think these are Canadian prices so maybe 20-30 percent less US price? About 3 time AGM for same AH however if they last that much longer then it does offset especially if you know you will keep your boat. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Add to that additional needs for runaway containment. Major mods in the B787 after a few incidents. And they don’t use these “cheap” types in a 787.

This would be the last thing I’d like in my engine bay if I could afford them.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    That was my first thought, in the event of a leak, Lithium reacts with water to form hydrogen gas. Wonder of ABYC or any other organization has thoughts?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    If they really do last five times longer than AGMs, the cost would make sense.  But I'll wait until we see a few years of fleet data in general recreational boating.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use Battle Born batteries in the RV/Solar field. Have held up well from all I have read
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 off topic but where does one find light fixtures for RVs that aren’t hideous? I’m trying to find something halfway appealing to replace the fluorescent light in the head. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    on another forum, a poster commented that every potential insurer he had contacted asked whether his boat used Li-based batteries. It didn’t, so he was unsure how it might effect coverage. Posted for others to be aware.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    That was my first thought, in the event of a leak, Lithium reacts with water to form hydrogen gas. Wonder of ABYC or any other organization has thoughts?
    Lead batteries make hydrogen when they are charged.  Let's not start castrating Li batteries on a blog ... death by social media.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the bigger problem is the thermal runaway which I forgot about till the 787 comment. Although we transport 100s of lithium batteries each flight with all the laptops and phones we have on board and many of them are plugged in charging with no runaway yet. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    Willhound said:
    Lead batteries make hydrogen when they are charged.  Let's not start castrating Li batteries on a blog ... death by social media.
    Agree. Was just more sort of wondering as I'm not up on Lithium batteries in this large format.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @Handymans342 off topic but where does one find light fixtures for RVs that aren’t hideous? I’m trying to find something halfway appealing to replace the fluorescent light in the head. 
    Camping world.com
  • Options
    The issue isn’t the hydrogen, its thermal runaway as I mentioned above. Once started it is self generating and propagating with extremely high temperatures. Like @aero3113 said they carry them on flights an there have been some issues and while one catching align on a flight is a bad thing and can be catastrophic in a rare case it is contained or limiting somewhat. You put a few large ones together without separation protection it’ll burn through the bottom of your hull before you know it. @MarkB it’s no fallacy - it’s real, just one non social media hyped p story https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-lithium-ion-batteries-grounded-the-dreamliner/

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    The issue isn’t the hydrogen, its thermal runaway as I mentioned above. Once started it is self generating and propagating with extremely high temperatures. Like @aero3113 said they carry them on flights an there have been some issues and while one catching align on a flight is a bad thing and can be catastrophic in a rare case it is contained or limiting somewhat. You put a few large ones together without separation protection it’ll burn through the bottom of your hull before you know it. @MarkB it’s no fallacy - it’s real, just one non social media hyped p story https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-lithium-ion-batteries-grounded-the-dreamliner/
    I understand there are risks ... like with everything. Li batteries are taking over the world. 70% of the battery market is projected ... they are just better at almost everything. If the risk is known, then a risk-mitigation solution can be found ... 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Panbo has a good article about Ben Stein replacing his house bank with lithium iron phosphate batteries.  Ben feels that LiFePO4 is the safest of today's lithium chemistries. 

For his large motoryacht, the two house batteries cost $5700 ... EACH. The total system cost was $17k, and that's the DIY price!  So although it's not directly relevant to us little-boaters, it's an interesting read.

As @MarkB said, lithium is taking over the battery world.  

https://panbo.com/upgrading-our-house-battery-system-part-2-life-is-better-with-lithium/ 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lithium makes sense for high power needs at a long rate...EV cars, power tools, etc.  In your standard boat just not worth the cost and trouble.  I looked at a 45’ Cantius with a massive battery bank and inverter to run a weekend without running the genny. Makes more sense for that...cost is just a deal breaker. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Powerboat Television had a story this weekend on the Ranger R27 that mentioned that it came with a bank of 4 AGM's but could be upgraded to Lithium and an inverter to run the onboard air and heat without a Genny. Also a tug design that will run on plane up to almost 40mph with a 300 hp Yamaha for all you outboard haters.  
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    do you need to upgrade your  engine's alternator 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally you will need high voltage AC to recharge those big lithium battery banks. Unless you want to run your engine for days. lol.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lots of good and bad points.  A Li bank is smaller and lighter, and it charges faster so you don't need to run the genny as long.  And because it's an integrated system, you get better visibility about battery health and state of charge. 

But the system components (which are required) cost a lot, and most people don't need that sort of capacity.  I mean, suppose you could run the microwave and maybe even HVAC from batteries instead of the generator.  Sure, that's a nice luxury, but is it worth the cost?

Also, Li batteries don't like heat, so I don't think you can put them in the engine room.  

To me, it's still a luxury item or special-purpose system.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Lots of good and bad points.  A Li bank is smaller and lighter, and it charges faster so you don't need to run the genny as long.  And because it's an integrated system, you get better visibility about battery health and state of charge. 

But the system components (which are required) cost a lot, and most people don't need that sort of capacity.  I mean, suppose you could run the microwave and maybe even HVAC from batteries instead of the generator.  Sure, that's a nice luxury, but is it worth the cost?

Also, Li batteries don't like heat, so I don't think you can put them in the engine room.  

To me, it's still a luxury item or special-purpose system.  
    They don’t like cold either
  • Options
    I don’t like thermal runaway and the means to contain it is not simple nor inexpensive.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options

RV guys have done a lot of cool things with lithium and solar. Eat your heart out @LaRea
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa is that the handy mobile? Quite a set up 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited May 2021
    It could be one day Lib and we may need it with all the hacking going around