Leak at transom assembly

YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
Before launch of my 350 I had both B3 drives pulled and pressure tested. Marina reported that the bellows were in great shape and no need to replace. 

After launch, I noticed a not insignificant leak on the starboard side. The water was running down from somewhere mid-transom assembly and dripping off the lines in the area circled. It was hard to tell how much water since the coolant hose to the water heater blew when the boat was first run so there was lots of water in the bilge. I didn’t get a chance to investigate further as we went into yet another lockdown here and no marina access allowed. 

I asked the marina to investigate. I suspected maybe the shift boot was not installed correctly (as I am a certified armchair boat mechanic). They said no way that’s possible but that they will haul and inspect. 

Marina pulled the boat yesterday and they believe there’s a leak in the bellows (tho they cannot find it) and they want to replace the bellows to validate. 

I’m fine with this but I have read that a leak in the bellows would not cause water to leak into the bilge; rather it would just fill the exhaust. Does this make sense? I generally trust the marina but...
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s your drive bellows it will leak into the transom.
    2008 330EC
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I had a similar situation that resolved itself on its own.  Not sure what happened but the best guess is that the transom assembly gasket was dry or slightly damaged and after it got wet and swelled up a bit, the leak stopped.  The transom when tested with a moisture meter just after haulout and before launch was fine so it can't be the transom swelling like a wooden boat to stop leaks.  Any other theories would be welcome.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    If it’s your drive bellows it will leak into the transom.
    Thanks, that makes sense. Any other possible leak sources? Drive bellows, shift boot, maybe where the trim sender and limiter cables go through the transom??
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remote drive reservoir through transom fitting.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭✭
    Leak at steering pin?  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully no it is not the steering pin!! That was the first thing I checked (in a panic)!