Leak at transom assembly

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
Before launch of my 350 I had both B3 drives pulled and pressure tested. Marina reported that the bellows were in great shape and no need to replace. 

After launch, I noticed a not insignificant leak on the starboard side. The water was running down from somewhere mid-transom assembly and dripping off the lines in the area circled. It was hard to tell how much water since the coolant hose to the water heater blew when the boat was first run so there was lots of water in the bilge. I didn’t get a chance to investigate further as we went into yet another lockdown here and no marina access allowed. 

I asked the marina to investigate. I suspected maybe the shift boot was not installed correctly (as I am a certified armchair boat mechanic). They said no way that’s possible but that they will haul and inspect. 

Marina pulled the boat yesterday and they believe there’s a leak in the bellows (tho they cannot find it) and they want to replace the bellows to validate. 

I’m fine with this but I have read that a leak in the bellows would not cause water to leak into the bilge; rather it would just fill the exhaust. Does this make sense? I generally trust the marina but...
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s your drive bellows it will leak into the transom.
    2008 330EC
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    I had a similar situation that resolved itself on its own.  Not sure what happened but the best guess is that the transom assembly gasket was dry or slightly damaged and after it got wet and swelled up a bit, the leak stopped.  The transom when tested with a moisture meter just after haulout and before launch was fine so it can't be the transom swelling like a wooden boat to stop leaks.  Any other theories would be welcome.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    If it’s your drive bellows it will leak into the transom.
    Thanks, that makes sense. Any other possible leak sources? Drive bellows, shift boot, maybe where the trim sender and limiter cables go through the transom??
    Remote drive reservoir through transom fitting.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Leak at steering pin?  
    Thankfully no it is not the steering pin!! That was the first thing I checked (in a panic)!
    Update on this.  Bellows replaced and no more leak.

I asked that the marina leave me the old bellows to inspect.  All are perfectly fine, no cracks or even a hint of wear.  I therefore assume that the bellows were not installed (clamped?) correctly.

The marina pulled the drive this spring to pressure test and to inspect the bellows.  When removing the drive, do you remove the bellows from both ends (transom assembly and outdrive)?  If the bellows are only disconnected at one side, I suppose it is possible that the other side was not properly clamped (previous owner) and they leaked.  But if both sides of the bellows are normally removed to facilitate the pressure test, well...

Appreciate any insights.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I would ask the mechanic to show you what's wrong with the bellows that they took off and if nothing why was it leaking
    Removing a bravo 3 drive does not involve removing the bellows.
    Thanks @Grahamu!  I should have checked Youtube. I guess I can't really blame the marina; they could have reused the old bellows I suppose but its the labor that's killer, not the parts.

Aside; Eddie was awesome, too bad he sold his Rinker.
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar issue, I always had some water in my bilge but wasn't really enough to be concerned about. Well had bellows replaced for maintenance this spring along with everything else involved with a bellows job and no longer have water in my bilge. Bellows didn't even look too bad or had any noticeable wear that would cause a leak 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar issue, I always had some water in my bilge but wasn't really enough to be concerned about. Well had bellows replaced for maintenance this spring along with everything else involved with a bellows job and no longer have water in my bilge. Bellows didn't even look too bad or had any noticeable wear that would cause a leak 
    Did you look at the shifter cable boot too?
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Did you look at the shifter cable boot too?
    I did, it was pretty much the same condition. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a whole mess with mine for sure....and when I put the motor back in, still leaked....I finally found one of the exhaust boots clamp was lose.....water was coming out of that joint and leaking down and appeared to be from the transom...once I found that and corrected, have been good. That shift cable boot can really be a problem to get to stay on...and you can't see or feel around it...and it does not want to stay on there! Sure sounds like a similar problem your having....there are just a lot of holes in our boats when you really start looking!
    My bellows were replaced with new Merc parts and I still have a very small amount of water coming in - does anyone know what this part is (circled)? It is wet. 

I can't identify where that is, do you have a larger photo?
    Grahamu said:
    I can't identify where that is, do you have a larger photo?
    I think it’s the intake hose to the water pump fitting. @YYZRC , if you zoom in is it cracked or am I just seeing it weird.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a crack to me. Any chance someone replaced that elbow and installed a screw that is too long?  That's always a great way to crack cast parts.
    edited July 2021
    You guys might be right! I will check tomorrow and see if it catches my fingernail. 

The white dots to the left of the red line are reflections off the bead of water. It would be totally plausible that it’s seeping through a crack there.