Options

Engine coming out again... 2nd time since being installed 4 years ago (or is it 5, who's counting).

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 or so years ago new 383 went in, complete new transom assembly went in.  Ran it with the old drive that was 10+ years old, trouble didn't start for 3 years after that. The trouble was a prop shaft seal let go and the transom mount seal started leaking. 13 months ago a mechanic took the old drive off when I brought it back to him knocking. He found rust inside the drive and We replaced it with a sea core drive. Not sure about matching things up... That would be something that should have been done when the engine was replaced correct?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the money you spent you could have sent the boat to Al and had it done right. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd rather fly him down here!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its too hot to work on boats in the keys.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I didn't know a mis adjusted alignment could take out the inner workings of the bravo, only the u joint and gimball.  That would suck to need a top housing rebuid so soon. 
    I agree completely.  I had mine pulled a year ago and alignment, after only one year, was way off.  I mean, to where one drive would not come off.  Had to pull the motor and change hub (gimbal bearing and u joint too) because splines were messed up.  Drives were fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The mechanic is starting by pulling off the drive and checking alignment... We'll see. I told him to order a new gimbal and be sure it's the right one..
  • Options
    Well it's July 7th and apparently the boat hasn't been touched yet. The mechanic sent me a text saying he's working on an 'estimate to send over tomorrow, will ask for for some $$ and I hope to have everything put together by the end of next week'... well that's just great because the boat needs to be in the water ready to go by the 19th. Sent him an email saying so. Keep in mind this means he has not taken one look at the drive or the alignment. <taking a deep breath> 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    A misaligned drive can cause a host of very expensive problems. That's why I had the drives pulled every Fall when the boats came out and personally inserted the Mecruiser alignment tool to check alignment (have posted pictures on this forum before). Sort of like a prostate exam for the boat or as a grandchild says a "prostrate" exam which is technically correct too as I wouldn't want that exam standing-up.
  • Options
    I dont understand the hold up unless he's backlogged with repairs.

I understand there is a labor shortage as well as parts supply shortages everywhere right now.

I'm not even set up for marine repair and it still takes me less than 10 min to roll out my cherry picker and remove my drive.   

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be worth checking your engine mount lag screw holes. Mine were in poor shape/stripped and only one engine had been out one time.  Redrilled, epoxy filled, drilled and then screwed down properly. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Keys don't have an off season (anymore).  They do have a rush at mini lobster and lobster season as well as a pull out frenzy before named storms.  I envy the lawn mower shops down there, they make bank all year while I twiddle my thumbs from Thanksgiving until Valentine's day.   Commecial landscaping guys pay 10k for a commercial zero turn but freak over a 300 dollar repair bill for servicing the hydro system, much like an automatic transmisson service.  That mower pays their bills.  The same guys pay 5k for a Craigslist boat or motorcycle and don't think twice to drop 1500 bucks in accessories or service work, for a weekend toy.  I'm in the wrong line of work. 

Black_Diamond
    said:
    It will be worth checking your engine mount lag screw holes. Mine were in poor shape/stripped and only one engine had been out one time.  Redrilled, epoxy filled, drilled and then screwed down properly. 

I have repaired some before with thickened epoxy.  I have considered some galvanized studs in place of the lag bolts.  I feel like the riggers from the factory always drill and install these at an angle with motors in place rather than setting motor in, marking holes and then lifting motor out to get them in straight. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Correction: boat mechanic is just getting to the boat today. This "service" was planned 6 months ago to commence on or about June 20th. 
  • Options
    He's still on time it you are going by keys time.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really sucks here is dealing with people that don't stand behind their work. I don't know that if you took it to a dealer you'd have any better luck. How many hours on the drive? Seems like even out of alignment it would take a while to f something up...mine is an 06 with 300 hours, I have had no noises or issues for 200 of those hours and the original outdrive...I did have to replace a seal at the foot on the out put shaft but had a buddy that for me.....I'm sure it will blow up tomorrow now that I said it...
  • Options
    Mechanic has inspected the out drive. It checks out perfectly, no obvious reason for the knock in N. 

He inspected the HUB and TRANSOM ASSEMBLY - both checked out 100% fine. 

At this point he's going to triple check that he's installing the correct gimbal bearing and we're going to do that. 

Raw water pump is being replaced as it started leaking from the bearing at some point. Boat has been bottom cleaned/sanded, engine serviced, drive off and inspected... planning to fly back to Corona Land (aka Florida) on Saturday and pick her up. WE'll see how it goes. Not happy that there isn't a 100% source for thise noise, but whatever. 
  • Options
    Boat going in this week. Prepped and painted the drive today, the mechanic who installed it said "You dont paint sea core drives" - well, that did not seem to be the truth after talking to Mercury.. 

Water pump needed to be replaced, this was a 4/5 year old pump. Not sure why it would go bad but it did.

Mechanic went through everything and replaced anything that needed to be replaced. We're doing some kind of timing check on the sea trial (is timing adjustment still a thing on these motors?) 

Guess we'll see what happens! 

Prop cleaning tomorrow after work. 

IMG
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the unloaded drive lower at warm idle there is a knock, but loaded (in gear) there isnt... outdrive and gimbal studied and checked out... guessing the coupler is good or the boat wouldn't move... 

I'd be thinking to look the ujoints on the carden joints.. a cracked bearing cap allowing movement,  which will just get worse, would cause a knock.  As soon as it's loaded (twirling the lower and prop) it's forced to one position and eliminates the knock. 

A broken snap ring on the u joints can also cause play.  There should be zero lateral play in the ujoints.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 years on a raw water impeller is certainly nothing...yours sounds like the bearing on the pump went which still can be rebuilt very simply...much better than spending a grand on a new pump.
  • Options
    I'd ask for the old pump back.  
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    4 years on a raw water impeller is certainly nothing...yours sounds like the bearing on the pump went which still can be rebuilt very simply...much better than spending a grand on a new pump.
    the impeller was replaced 13 months ago... yeah the bearing went... no idea if he tried to rebuild or not, I just need this thing to work! 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $75 to have a raw water pump bearing replaced. Good to have a spare.  
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to hearing that all is well and she is nice and quiet.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Hanging on the boat in the AC ..  just ran her hard, 45 mins at 4k with no breaks... Got back to the dock and she's as quiet as can be! Knocking on wood.. Hoping this chapter is closed... We'll see!  Also the bilge is bone dry and the boat was doing 26 at 4k, without making much noise, vibration was less as well. 

Guess we'll see how long this paint lasts! 

While that paint isn't even close to perfect it looks darn good for not being waxed in 15 months, all I did was give it a five minute wash yesterday!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Glad it went well
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!! @J3ff !! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Positive news about your boat . Happy for you!
  • Options
    Positive news about your boat . Happy for you!
    It's been a long time coming!
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Boat looks like a mirror 
    Not bad for a 2004... Right?!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great Jeff! Sounds like your other issues are hopefully solved also.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    rasbury said:
    was 400 bucks for the new pump.. sigh, wish I could charge mercury for that. 

The entire job came in at 3500.. work done was:

• RPM dependant, knock coming from upper outdrive area. 

• Unaffected by gear selection

• Drain gear oil and inspect for metal

• No metal shavings present in gearlube

• Possible loss of gear tooth / bearing damage

• Further inspection needed to determine cause 

• Check and confirm alignment

• Inspect gimbal seal, ok

• Inspect engine coupler, ok

• Ujoints ok, no play, ok

• Check shift ok

• Check taurus ring alignment, ok

• Inspect gears / Bearings ok

• Inspect shift plate ok

• Inspect shift cables and adjustment ok

• Correspond with mercury regarding issue. 3 different times, 3 different people. Consensus is to replace gimbal, confirm alignment and shift adjustment. Upper unit warranty replacement possible if problem persists 

• Remove trim rams, Remove outdrive

• Clean and prep for removal

• Pull gimbal from bell housing

• Wire Brush / clean mounting flange

• Freeze new bearing

• Align and drive into place

• Confirm seated, grease area

• Remove drive lube monitor hose, clean and prep for new

• Install new drive monitor hose

• Check alignment and adjust as needed

• Grease driveshaft 

• Reinstall outdrive

• Confirm shift operation

Remove and replace external Trim lines / Remove and replace trim relays. 

• Soak line ends in deep creep, work loose

• Remove trim ram rear pins to access lines

• Clean threads / prepare new hoses

• Install new hoses

• Remove failing trim relays

• Clean mounting surfaces, prepare wiring

• Install new relays, test

• FIll and bleed trim system 

• Test range

• Remove old garboard plug

• Clean and sand garboard plug flange area

• Pack epoxy into holes, coating and filling as much as possible

• Once cured, drill and install new garboard plug. Through Bolt if possible

• Seal plug inner flange with silicone

• Drain water from system

• Remove serpentine belt

• Loosen and remove clamps on inlet and outlet 

• Remove feed and fed hoses

• Remove pulley

• Remove complete water pump assembly

• On bench, Disassemble water pump

• Prepare rear housing for new impeller housing install, assemble 

• Reassemble pump and reinstall onto motor

• Connect hoses and clamp

• Install pulley, install serpentine belt

• Run and test 

• **Water pump pulley unable to remove from old pump housing. Over 3 hours spent trying to get it off. 

• Bring to Shop to use oxy/acetylene and press. Was able to drive pulley halfway before it began to bend and warp.

• Ultimately the pulley was damaged and unusable even if I was able to remove it.

• Locate new pulley, oem mercury

• Purchase and install new pulley

• Continue with service as normal 

• Drain engine oil

• Remove oil filter

• Clean mounting flange and install new filter

• Fill engine oil

• Previously drained gearlube 

• Remove old seals

• Fill gear lube with HPGL

• Install drain plugs with new seals

• Top off monitor

• Corrosion protection on motor / batteries and transom assembly

• Check fluids, top off as needed

• Remove and replace water separating fuel filter

• Grease zircs

• Remove props, Clean and gease shaft. Reinstall props

• Remove and replace zincs

• Run and test, check oil levels

• Distributor cap cleaning

• Spark plugs 

• Wirebrush / Spraypaint any rusted areas

The mechanic did not charge me for the 1+ hours of time we waited for the yard to figure out their nonsense today and get us in the water. He then went on a sea trial with me, checking things when we first put it in the water, after running it up on plane for 15 mins and then again checking it out when I dropped him off. This is the kind of guy who actually will listen and I believe does really want things to be great, you don't feel like just another number with him. Overall very pleased with how things turned out. Let's hope things go smoothly for at least this winter season!! There's a couple of storms brewing out in the atlantic.. would be comedy gold if it was coming back out on Friday or next week because of a storm!!