Options

Engine coming out again... 2nd time since being installed 4 years ago (or is it 5, who's counting).

13»

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Did I read this correct, the gimbal bearing was the part that was replaced to eliminate the noise ? 
    yes you did! it's the 4th one in 2 years. I will say I did hear a slight noise that sounded like what I've been hearing, but that was only right after dropping off plane... once back to the dock it wasn't there.. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good news
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome Jeff! Finding someone that really knows what they are doing is tuff!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that finish looks great.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Alswagg said:
    Remember way back when?   We have found so many incorrect gimbal bearings installed 

“Are you sure you have the correct gimbal bearing?    Very common for people to install the wrong bearing.  Incorrect bearings will make a slight rattling noise that is very similar to a bad u joint.      The correct bearing is .125 thinner than the incorrect    Note all the new sealed bearings are correct size”

Yup and I dont know what to say.. 3 out of 4 were installed by certified mercury folks. I guess this one got it right!! Thank you for your advice as always Al ! Started her up at the dock just now and quiet as can be.. lets hope the next 11 months in the water are uneventful!!

Now to clean this boat up, the mechanics down here sure aren't easy on them when it comes to clean... 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Alswagg said:
    Remember way back when?   We have found so many incorrect gimbal bearings installed 

“Are you sure you have the correct gimbal bearing?    Very common for people to install the wrong bearing.  Incorrect bearings will make a slight rattling noise that is very similar to a bad u joint.      The correct bearing is .125 thinner than the incorrect    Note all the new sealed bearings are correct size”

Yup and I dont know what to say.. 3 out of 4 were installed by certified mercury folks. I guess this one got it right!! Thank you for your advice as always Al ! Started her up at the dock just now and quiet as can be.. lets hope the next 11 months in the water are uneventful!!

Now to clean this boat up, the mechanics down here sure aren't easy on them when it comes to clean... 
    put boat on land. Storm coming 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Alswagg said:

put boat on land. Storm coming 
    It just got put back in the water!! LoL. It was in the water for last years almost Cat 1, I was sleeping on it during the worst of it. We do the whole lines across the canal thing.. just heard the storm was downgraded to a depression. I've got a hurricane plan that I paid 1000 bucks for, hoping to hold off using it till something real strong comes by! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg can you post the part number for reference?
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    The only Gimbal bearing we stock and install now is the new Sealed unit bearing.  These will retrofit into all the Bravo and Alpha drives.  
    Do you remove the grease fittings then???
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    The only Gimbal bearing we stock and install now is the new Sealed unit bearing.  These will retrofit into all the Bravo and Alpha drives.  
    The new bearing  comes with stainless  set screw to install in the transom in place of the grease zerk 
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    The new bearing  comes with stainless  set screw to install in the transom in place of the grease zerk 
    Do you know how many motors and pumps I have bought with zerks and they have sealed bearings?? Also vise versa. Causes a lot of issues
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Do you know how many motors and pumps I have bought with zerks and they have sealed bearings?? Also vise versa. Causes a lot of issues
    Preaching to the choir.   All of my home owner ayp and nearly all mtd spindles have grease fittings.  All of them run sealed bearings. 
  • Options
    Well I personally bought the sealed bearing before this one and it still made the noise, so I dunno, I couldn't get anyone to give me a part number either :) - I'm still just waiting for the next thing (It's gotta be the fridge...it's original) but I'm just super happy to have a completely dry bilge and a quiet drive. It feels like the boat is "new" to me again. 
  • Options
    ah I saw it myself, right before we slam dunked it into the garbage can. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Had a little PTSD moment yesterday afternoon.

I got to the boat and there was oil or gas in the water behind it. I didn't see any forward of the boat... opened up the hatch and the oil was at the low line. After the sea trial it had dropped halfway to that line after running it pretty hard, which I expected as air worked its way out of the system. I decided to not fill it until I got back to the boat, which was yesterday...so while it going to the low line wasn't something to immediately jump to conclusions over the fact that there was SOMETHING in the water behind it had me fuming instantly. 

Calmed down, filled it with oil to the high line and took it out to the closest island.. threw a mask on and went looking for oil. There was none. Also, on the way out the oil went a tiny bit above the high line as it heated up. No oil slick around the boat at all out at the island. 

Got back to the dock an hour or so later, oil right where it should be, nothing in the water behind the dock. Started it up 2 or so times over the next hour, again, nothing in the water, oil level still the same. 

About 90 mins after returning to the dock I was heading out and sure enough THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE WATER AGAIN!  I did notice it was a little forward of the swim platform but figured maybe it was just currents. 

Went home pi$$ed.

Went back to the boat today, no oil or gas to be seen, oil level exactly the same, cant even tell which picture was taken when.  Started up, no oil, no gas, nothing... 

I guess it was an extreme coincidence that some air worked it's way out of the system over the previous 6 days AND someone/something in the canal ended uop right behind my boat looking like oil. 

At this point I'll keep checking on it, but the boat seems to be saying "hey dont blame me" .  Or maybe I'm just imagining things based on my past. Is broken boat PTSD a thing? One thing that still seems to be great is there's no knocking at the drive and the motor is buttery smooth starting and running...it's never been better, so whatever he did, he fixed something right!!

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's the level in your power trim reservoir?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    How's the level in your power trim reservoir?
    Hmm that's something to check for sure. Just happy there was nothing in the water today!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have PTSD about the boat all the time and always conclude the worst has happen.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 I do the same thing and it usually is the worst, it's a boat!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have PTSD about the boat all the time and always conclude the worst has happen.
    I just got over that feeling this year....for the most part. Anytime I went out I was so nervous something else was gonna break. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988