Horizon 900 Chain Slipping

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
The windless works fine going down but the chain bounces considerably when bringing the anchor up.  So much so that it doesn't always come up.  It seems the spring on the flapper needs to be stiffer.  The previous owner was having problems and he might have replaced the spring.  I ordered a spring from P2 marine and it does the same thing.  If I hold down the flapper with a piece of wood while the admiral brings the anchor up it works as it should.  Has anyone experience anything similar?  Ideas for a fix?  Thanks for your help!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,730 mod
    I'm getting the same thing lately.  I suspect there's too much wear on the gypsy, because it's also having trouble grabbing the rope (which I replaced last year).  A new gypsy costs around $100.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible that you have the wrong size chain?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I have the same windlass and my chain skips as well. I need to take it apart as I think the arm pin and spring are well worn. Saw on P2 the arm kit is $100. My gypsy is worn out but the control arm needs to definitely be done first on mine. 

This is the control arm
    https://www.p2marine.com/simpson-lawrence-control-arm-kit-for-horizon-600-900

Does anyone have the links for the spring and or the gypsy. I don't see either one specifically for the 600/900

Good to see this post as this may turn out to help others. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to be insulting - but assume you have tightened the clutch nut on the side? They do loosen over time.

Also as LaRea said, the gypsy could be worn & just not be able to attack the chain & line.

And YYRZ correct that previous owner replaced anchor line & rode with new. Wrong size replacement would be super easy.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    In my case if you saw the condition of the control arm you would definitely see why that's the culprit or atleast part of it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Mattie, first make sure the large nut on the side is snug. 
    As far as the spring on the upper arm, you can remove it. On my 342 mine would not spring up and down nicely unless I removed the spring annually and put some oil on it. Some leftover 30wt from the generator and it bounced nicely for the entire summer.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    On the Horizon 600's the shaft has a roller pin.  IF the large nut comes loose it is possible for this pin to come out or work its way out.  The stupid pin is like $50.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    I previously had checked the chain size and it is correct.  I attached a picture for reference.  I just checked the nut on the gypsy and it is as tight as could be.  I've had the spring / pin out and lubed it.  The gypsy does look worn a bit worn but I don't know if this is bad or not.  I attached a picture - does this look like the culprit?  

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Took mine apart today and I twisted the spring so it is stronger and I can't see any reason my control arm moves left and right more than seems normal. It did seem to work better and I had someone reeling it in as I watched it and I think the chain has some slight twist so occasionally it skips and the weak control arm will allow it to jump a little and then it gets bound really bad where it enters the locker. 

I am gonna add a swivel to the anchor/chain connection, add washers to the control arm pin to take up some slack and then possibly see if I can turn the gypsy 180 so the slight worn portion that grabs the chain will not be an issue. A few small fixes for hopefully a large correction. 

@rmrstlmo I notice you have washers on the control arm pin, did you do this? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Was looking at mine today.  My gypsy does not seem worn.  But I did notice a fair amount of twist, and was wondering if that could cause it to skip.  
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    I would get a swivel regardless. Let the chain & swivel/anchor out in deep water. Let it relax. That will get rid of the twist once and for all.
    I've got a Mantus S1 swivel. Awesome stuff.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    edited June 2021
    I went ahead and ordered the S1. The anchor must spin around on its way up and I'm sure that isn't easy on the gypsy trying to keep it straight. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Found out the gypsy is not reversible as the high side needs to be on the outside by the nut. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
    Well...  my situation got worst over the weekend.  Had a great day of boating until I went to pull up the hook.  It was stuck on something.  I gave the boat (what I thought was) a little nudge forward and the anchor roller pulled out of the fiberglass.  All that was holding it on the inside were some washers. 

I've been working on a fix....  Besides the obvious fiberglass work that needs to be done I'm going to bolt to a stainless steel plate on the inside.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

edited June 2021
    [EDIT: Now I'm not so sure about this comment ...]

I'm pretty sure that anchor roller is way too small for your boat, and it's definitely not mounted correctly.  The way it's mounted, I'm amazed that it never failed until now.  I'll measure mine today, and post some pix with dimensions.  

For sure, I would not re-mount it the way it's mounted now!  
    Post edited by LaRea on
    I agree.  It was way to far out.  My current plan is to pull it back about 5".  It would be great if you could measure and maybe take a pic or two.  Thanks!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Did it actually bend or was it designed that way?
    It bent.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

edited June 2021
    When you do pull it back make sure you check the anchor will not hit the bow. I could see myself not thinking and doing that. 

I am gonna have to look closer at mine as it also seems very far forward and this is factory installed. I know I have seen other Rinker and the plow point is much closer to the bow.  

Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Thanks Aqua_Aura!  I've done some scaled layouts on paper and I think I will have a little over 3" clearance from the anchor tip to the bow at the fully retracted position.  Before drilling holes I'll hold it in position to verify. 

LaRea - your measurement of anchor tip to bow would be very helpful.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

When I was there today, I couldn't find my tape measure.  As a rough guess, the part that is bolted to the fiberglass is actually only 8"x2.75", so maybe yours is the correct size and my memory was tricking me.   

I'll get you some measurements and better pix.

Yes, some measurements would be great.  I tried to compare position of the anchor roller of mine (top image) to yours (lower image).  It looks like yours is definitely positioned further aft.  (I tried to draw the yellow line at the same transition point.)

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

I noticed both of you don't have the bolt on the shackle safety wired as I didn't either. 

Someone saw that on my boat and then told me how they were anchored and the bolt worked it's way lose and they drifted and ended up on the beach. Just figured I would pass that on.  

1997 Bayliner 3988
    Yeah I need to switch mine to a C clamp instead. I hate those U shackles, lost a stern anchor last year. Replaced with this. 

At least with the C clamp there’s a chance the anchor won’t fall off if the nut loosens. 
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I noticed both of you don't have the bolt on the shackle safety wired as I didn't either. ...
    Thanks for the reminder.  I bought seizing wire when I replaced the rode last year, but never got around to installing it.

@YYZRC I have the same anchor roller you have.  
    @YYYZRC - Thanks for the measurements.  Looks like I can safely pull mine back a good 3".  I'd like to go a little more if I can.

@LaRea - Do you think your measurements would be similar to what @YYZRC is showing?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the same, including the bolt pattern.  Was yours attached with screws, or bolts?  Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember noticing that my fasteners were loose.  
    It was attached with bolts.  A nut and washer on the back side.  I'm planning on using a stainless steal plate on the back side.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Did yours all come with the plow anchor? I have the Danfoss, assuming from factory, and it’s points look to be longer than your plow point, maybe suggesting these are out further than you’d think they should be?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/