Options

Windlass overheating?

2»

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Looks like 40,41 and 10,19 seem to be needle bearings? I could give them a look as well. I was at the boat yesterday but rather than replace my battery and diagnose the problem we swam from the docks and drank 😂
    19 was the culprit on my buddy's 310.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    @reneechris14 I think thats weird that there is not cleat there. Regardless if the cleat is used or not the windless is not designed to hold or pull the boat but I understand everyone has their preference.  If your rode is only being pulled while under a load then maybe your "clutch" is not adjust correctly. I just keep bumping the boat until there is not tension then retract the rode at the same time. Never a problem. Doing it that was ever since I bought the boat in 2007.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Willhound said:
    And using a bridle means limited contact with chain or rode and takes a lot of the "jerk" out of being anchored if the wind comes up or a boat passes.
    This is worthy of a separate thread.  I cannot understand how to attach a bridle without laying on my belly, precariously hanging above the anchor pulpit to reach down and grab the rode.  Also, in the 3-4 times I've tried a bridle, it made no real difference in how the boat laid at anchor.  @Dream_Inn help me!

Last weekend, I tried using a side bridle to hold the boat 30 degrees from the wind.  In theory, it keeps the boat from swinging.  For me, it not work.  
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    Because I am all chain I use this with 2 20' lines which I adjust the length depending on conditions. It's easy to slip on and off.
    Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, we had a massive thread on here a few years back on anchoring, rode, anchors and particularly setting bridles with quick release lines etc. if I remember correctly. use the forum search engine? As Ray would say.....just sayin'. :-)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura it may just be getting old and worn out.  Parts are hard to find and stupid expensive.  I used to wrestle with mine every time i had to pull in the anchor it was almost easier to do it by hand.  Replaced it with the 700 and couldn't be happier.  IMO it is better engineered.  Who ever thought it was a good idea to put a plastic gypsy on the 600 needs to go back to school.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the same jerk that designed the sound shield for the Kohler 5E. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is metal but I do remember seeing a plastic gypsy replacement for one of the models. I still haven't tried it again with the new battery system. We are out but we went to another marina for the weekend so no anchoring. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988