Anchor Wash Down

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's time to tackle this.  I anchor in muck frequently and thanks to Rinker's awesome anchor locker design (open vent to cabin), I need an elegant way to hose off the anchor and chain.

My proposed approach:
  1. Planning to use sea water (since fresh water holding tank isn't big and often near empty after a 4 day anchor out).
  2. Contemplating adding a T fitting at the AC seacock as my water source.  Even easier would be to add a T fitting at the AC unit since it's in the berth.  Thoughts/comments?
  3. I will mount the pump in the anchor locker and add a quick-connect spigot in the anchor well.  Pump recommendations that will provide enough pressure for a good spray?
  4. I will likely tap into the windlass to power the pump.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Choosing-and-Installing-a-Washdown-System
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Sure do!  I learned that Taco Bell doesn't agree with @mattie !

I didn't need it last year as I was anchoring in sand.  This year is muck muck muck!!

What are your thoughts on adding a T in the AC water line just before the AC unit?  That would make the install sooooooo easy!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    If you turn the AC off and disconnect the AC pump's output hose at the pump, does water come out?  If not, I think the T would need to go between the strainer and the AC pump.  
    I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, seems like a good idea! But I would add a shutoff valve at the “T” fitting to the pump.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    My transom mount wash down shares a T with my ac pump but both have their own strainer.  One strainer was to the original ac. 

I don't have issues running both. I also don't run the wash down non stop. Only for fish  guts and spilt beer

Some people share the same thru hull with ac and toilet.  

Post edited by PickleRick on
    Fish, guys and spilt beer @PickleRick ? What kind of boat are you running over there!?? 😂
    2008 330EC
    LaRea said:
    If you turn the AC off and disconnect the AC pump's output hose at the pump, does water come out?  If not, I think the T would need to go between the strainer and the AC pump.  
    I remember a pic @aero3113 posted of his boat underway and water was coming out the AC discharge so I assume it would work?
    edited August 2021

Note: This is with the generator and ac off.

2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Fish, guys and spilt beer @PickleRick ? What kind of boat are you running over there!?? 😂
    Autocorrect strkes again.    Not the kinda boat i wanna be on! 

• alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Hi YYZRC,  did you install your wash down?

If so how did it go, and how did you end up getting water?

I like the idea of simply teeing off the AC supply line.  I see there are questions here about whether this will work, but I’m certain it will as I often winterize my AC unit by back feeding antifreeze through the discharge hole on the side of the boat.  

I figure that if I’m going to be mucking around under the forward birth this spring I might as well install a wash down.  It seems that no matter how well we think we clean off the anchor by dragging it, we typically get back to our slip looking like we went off roading given the amount of mud spray up the bow. 
    2006 342FV - Ontario
    edited December 2023
    @alex8q4 yes I completed the install. I tied into the AC thru hull with no issues, though I am never washing the anchor with the AC running.

Hardest part was ripping the forward panels out to get access to mount the fitting. I was redoing them anyway (to remove the mirror) so the timing made sense.

There are a couple of pics here:
    https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/163030#Comment_163030

Here's the pump I used:
    https://a.co/d/bx1orma

And here's the fitting:
    https://a.co/d/hjtTMMx

I added an outlet in the transom locker as well so that I can wash the boat at anchor in shallow water.
  • alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Very interesting to see you had an access hole in the forward bulkhead.  I’m pretty sure I had a thorough look this summer and did see one.  I’ll have another look, but don’t expect to see one. For access, I’ll be limited to a round access below the mirror.

For now, my plan is  be to connect the pipe to the external connector, and feed it down into the anchor locker, then guide it to the connection tee. 

What power source did you tie into?  Did you connect to your thruster battery?  You had also mentioned tapping into your windlass circuit, where did that lead you?

2006 342FV - Ontario
    edited December 2023
    That plan should work fine. The hardest part for me was getting the water line into the anchor locker. I ended up running it along the ledge of the berth where it meets the hull for about 3 feet and then straight into the anchor locker. 

For power, I ran a dedicated wire from the panel to the pump and used the 12v aux breaker. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on