Options

Changing Steering Cable on 240

I already ask how to order new steering cable. All the numbers are worn off cable at transom. Today I got cable loose from motor. Removed gage cluster and vhf radio to get to steering rack. Rinker did not leave any room to get 7/16 wrench on the four bolts. Had to hold bottom threads with needle nose ViseGrips. To get nuts off. One bolt would not even pull out top it was so close.
This has got to be one of most difficult things I ever tried to do mechanically. I see why many boat mechanics dont want to do them.
My question is why will rack not come off steering column with 4 bolts out? I've pecked it with brass bar, wiggled it. It wont budge. Such a tight area hard to tell what's going on.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine popped right off. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s wrong with the cable?????
  • Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    Hard steering. Not sure why rack wont come off with bolts out. I'm wondering if steering wheel will have be pulled. I've watched every steering cable video on You Tube. Not many on Mercruisers which are more difficult than some.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to move the wheel back and forth as someone else tries to pull it apart?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I assume you took those pics with only three bolts removed and that you have since removed the fourth?  If so, I would get forceful. There’s nothing on the other side except an open face plate with grooves to mingle with the steering column. 

• Options
    That last bolt is loose. It is too long to pull out top without loosening steering column.  It hits on top of boat housing. The rack is loose. That bolted plate will slide back and forth on rack separated when you turn steering wheel. It just wont pull apart. Just difficult job on this model boat working through instrument cluster panel and small VHF opening. Working with mirror flashlight seeing it in reverse isn't easy. I learned doing it by feel is easier. From what I've seen on internet the rack should come apart with 4 bolts out. Yes that one bolt is still in but with nut off and not holding anything down. I know lot of you commenting probably have your steering rack in plain sight and easy access and wonder what the problem is. Just have to be here to see. 
  • Options
    Mine was bolted on, no nuts. Mine was wedged in place somewhat and while I think I had more space, it wasn’t fun either. End result was worth it. 
  • Options
    I finally yanked that last bolt out with no room with needle nose ViceGrips. Had to wiggle and pry rack off with flat screwdriver.
    To get cable pulled out to front had to take all access panels off that side. Rinker zipped tied cable in several places. You have to watch for that. The last turn at steering wheel you have to reach in and guide long steel part of cable around the corner.
    Teleflex number will be near the rack on mine not at stern. It is SSC12475 Teleflex USA 7050. That's confusing because last two digits suppose to be length. I have 13 feet of insulated (black) cable. Teleflex says measure that and add 30 and round up to next foot. That would make mine 15.5 feet not rounded up.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious to see if a new cable will solve the issue
  • Options
    Little information for people looking to replace cable. Teleflex is bought out by SeaStar. My cable number is original to Rinker when boat was built and custom made. Numbers on cable may not give you the length like on replacements. Some replacement cables will have different hole patterns where they bolt up and will not fit your helm. In order to replace cable you might have to find new steering gear or whatever you call it. 
    I will give you and example in photos below.
    The sketch is of my rack.As you can see mine is smaller. Nothing is easy when it comes to a boat. Being rich is best option.
  • Options
    I got another steering cable question. When replacing the cable should steering wheel be in certain position or cable extended out or in does it matter? Will steering wheel be off center if you dont install it certain way?
  • Options
    You could mount the stern end of the cable first with the drive straight and then mount the rack with the steering wheel straight.  I just mounted everything and then centered the wheel afterward.
  • Options