Options

Ongoing Battery Charger / Refrigerator Challenge on FV 270

2»

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    @J3ff now I see what you are saying. 

If the charger is programmed to stop trying after 24 hours, and the battery bank is so big that it can't be charged in 24 hours, you'll never get charged.  If you add more batteries in parallel, you could end up with a bank that is too big for your charger.  But the problem isn't parallel wiring ... it's that the charger is too small for the bank.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @J3ff now I see what you are saying. 

If the charger is programmed to stop trying after 24 hours, and the battery bank is so big that it can't be charged in 24 hours, you'll never get charged.  If you add more batteries in parallel, you could end up with a bank that is too big for your charger.  But the problem isn't parallel wiring ... it's that the charger is too small for the bank.
    Could be - I'm not sure what their "smart" programming means... maybe it cuts it at a certain time or it assumes it's attached to one battery and a certain amount of power throughput is when it cuts.. Hopefully this new one will do the job as it's highly rated and while a little smart, not as smart as this other one.  
  • Options
    aconthelakeaconthelake Member Posts: 15
    We’ll, with the fridge turned off the NOCO charger did it’s job and fully charged the 2 x 6V house batteries in series. So the issue only arises when the NOCO charger, 2 potentially fried( although my boat man says they are good to go) batteries and the 12V fridge are put together and left for a while. 
    Lots of great suggestions and so I’m torn between 1) Going back to a ProMariner that can shove out 20Amps to house once the starter bank is full or 2) getting a 120/12v module for the fridge. Since the boat runs on shore power most of the time, option 2 is good as it takes the charger and battery out of the equation. 
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Not sure of the cost for the inverter but would be my first choice. However J3ff has the same problem but he turns the fridge off so the problem might return. If it's in the budget I would go for both.