Options

Help me settle a dispute...

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Except he sold you an old belt based on the number on the belt not the one ending in Q03
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    Except he sold you an old belt based on the number on the belt not the one ending in Q03
    they are the same length right? 
  • Options
    Don't know I can't find the specs for the one ending in 003
  • Options
    just to repeat the facts, the belt number that printed out on the invoice/order form/receipt ends in Q03, the belt I got ends in 003 .. might have something to do with, might not... who knows.  
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    J3ff said:
    just to repeat the facts, the belt number that printed out on the invoice/order form/receipt ends in Q03, the belt I got ends in 003 .. might have something to do with, might not... who knows.  
    If you look at the pics aero posted, the one on his engine is 003 but the new quicksilver spare he has is Q03. I don’t think that’s the problem here. 
    Agree, also the Q03 and the 003 seem to be 106.45 inches long, where as the belt that works is 105.5 inches long. You'd think the tensioner would be able to take up 1 inch of slack, but it doesn't seem to be able to. More pictures for proof in the AM
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    J3ff said:
    alex8q4 said:
    The idler pulley on the top left looks like it’s adjustable.  There is a nut holding the pulley on and a hex head on the stud.   Loosen the nut, then turning the stud left and right should move the pulley up and down.
    The adjustable one is the one right above the steering pump. If you look closely you can see that in the photos that have the loose belt, the pulley is higher up than the one in the stock photo.. 

Yes, sorry, it’s the top RIGHT not left.  
    I guess my thumbs and brain where not getting along when I typed that message.
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    @J3ff if it was me, I would not use that shore power system without replacing the receptacle and power cord.  I'm glad it didn't start a fire.  
  • Options
    Absolutely. Replaced both. 
  • Options
    Found the original belt that came with it .. 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they order the wrong belt?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @J3ff That # supercedes up to 57-865615Q06 and is 105" length. When you search on Mercury with that # your model doesn't show up. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @J3ff, I think I have found the answer. Because you have a remanufactured engine you search Mercury under remanufactured engines, 350 MPI Bravo with your serial #.
    It lists different belts depending on the cooling. The belt ending in Q03 is for standard cooling, the one ending Q06 is for closed cooling, alpha/bravo, with power steering. Hope this helps, don't know why this info doesn't show up under the 383.
    Post edited by Grahamu on
  • Options
    Got it. I told the guy I didn't want to use the serial number for parts, he was smug about how he knew this was the only way to figure it out. We'll see what they respond with. At this point I'm a Gates for life guy. If they don't resolve peacefully I guess it's a charge back situation. Hate burning bridges though. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Gates is a very large manufacturer of belts and regardless of what the label says it is usually Gates much in the same way of filters are mostly made by WIX. 

My point being I usually go straight to those websites to find my filter number or go to NAPA as they use gates in it's truest form without ruining it with their own versions. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    If in future you remove an original part maybe record the numbers for sourcing replacements. It probably would have saved some aggravation with the belt. I have had a retail marine engine store for 30 years and occasionally work it and believe me it can be very frustrating trying to find the right part based on information given. Not making excuses for this parts guy, he has an attitude that's not acceptable. 
  • Options
    Grahamu said:
    If in future you remove an original part maybe record the numbers for sourcing replacements. It probably would have saved some aggravation with the belt. I have had a retail marine engine store for 30 years and occasionally work it and believe me it can be very frustrating trying to find the right part based on information given. Not making excuses for this parts guy, he has an attitude that's not acceptable. 
    Yeah, if I had remembered I had this belt buried in the boat of course I would have just used the number off of it. Then again, I let the guy talk me into going OEM while I was in the store, that was really my first mistake. Just thought it'd be convenient instead of waiting for Amazon to deliver on Monday and I do like giving the local guy some business too.   
  • Options
    Next stop credit card dispute, I guess.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I may challenge them to re run your serial number to see what comes up if I were you. Sounds like when @Grahamu runs your serial number he gets two belt options based on cooling. So that shop should have got two options and called you to clarify cooling. As them to re run the serial number and show you what they get. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I may challenge them to re run your serial number to see what comes up if I were you. Sounds like when @Grahamu runs your serial number he gets two belt options based on cooling. So that shop should have got two options and called you to clarify cooling. As them to re run the serial number and show you what they get. 
    He had to run it under remanufactured or something. I wrote back with a polite but firm message. Refund for your mistake or we'll let the CC decide. Worded a little bit better than that asking them to stand behind their mistake. The major part of this is that when I walked in there I was dismissed when I said I did not want to use the serial number as it had led me astray before. I was told the serial number was the ONLY way to know what the part number is. 

At this point I'm done w/ the business unless I get an apology and a refund, which is unlikely given the smug attitude of the parts guy behind the counter. 

15% off to order another? NOT going to happen. 30 dollar gates belt from amazon is already here. 
  • Options
    Apparently when they force you to use your serial number to order a belt it is still not the parts department's fault. 

Hmmm

• Options
    Liberty44140 said:
    Running the serial # in Mercury's parts look up doesn't bring up that information, I used the original belt # ending in 006 and it led me to the ReMan 350 MPI Bravo where 5 different belt configurations are shown. That info also doesn't show up for a 383 which is the model @J3ff has. It's annoying but that's Mercury. That's why I suggested recording original part #s. The replacement belt from Mercury is over $200 so the Gates belt is a steal. :)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    It is amazing how much the price of these belts have gone up in the last two years.  I bought 2 OEM belts from Nuwave marine in 2019 for $40 each.  They have them listed for $119 now.  I didnt have the steering pump lined up correctly with the spacers being off and it kept walking the belt off.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    The funny thing was that I just threw the old belt on the motor for the weekend and it was fine.

Tempting to do a charge back - but at the same time - don't need to have the idiots at this place going around bad mouthing me. Might just throw it up on ebay. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    I'm not sure I understand your dispute.  You bought a part in a package that says "not returnable if opened."  You opened it.  It's not returnable.  

I'd list the part on eBay, and not lose another minute of my day grieving about it.  The listing would say "Not returnable"   :D
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    LaRea said:
    I'm not sure I understand your dispute.  You bought a part in a package that says "not returnable if opened."  You opened it.  It's not returnable.  

I'd list the part on eBay, and not lose another minute of my day grieving about it.  The listing would say "Not returnable"   :D
    The dispute is that I did not want to order it based on serial number. The guy said "the only way we can order is if you give us your serial number" and then he told me "this" and pointed to the incorrect belt "will be the right belt for you" after I gave him the S/N...

It's not the right belt.  :p
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    PS it was opened when I got it, if we are splitting hairs 🤣
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff. With what you have been thru and now your getting ticked? I understand your pain ...my shed is full of crap like this lol...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    So I completely understand that MERCURY would appear to be the one to blame here...however you'd think that the parts guy would understand that he insisted we use the serial number and then he gave a useless part. You'd think they'd want to keep a customer over losing one and then having me out there telling people to hit the internet for their parts first. I realize that by the time I posted this thread I was already never going back, the time to make the save of a customer was on the first phone call that I made. Instead of blaming me saying "you must have removed a part" and "you must not have it routed right" (c'mon parts guy..) it should have just been a "Oh are you sure? yes? okay we'll take it back" 

Either way, like in the game of monopoly - I made 300 bucks in about 10 mins today - so I got a bad community chest card last week which handed me a useless 130 dollar part.

And then today the good community chest card came up, and if any of you 1. have amazon prime and 2. don't have an amazon card, you can make 300 right now too. 

(Posting 11/17/21 at 1440, no idea how long this next part will last)

1. Open a new fidelity account and throw 50 bucks in it, they'll give you 100 more for nothing in 22 days, leave it in for 60 days after that and then it's yours. (This was about 30 seconds for me since I already have a F account)  https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer

2.  If you are a prime member and you don't have an amazon credit card, you get an instant 200 dollar amazon gift card for singing up for the amazon card...if you have one and your spouse doesn't I hear it'll work for your spouse.. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Rewards-Visa-Signature-Card/dp/B007URFTYI?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=f0e27e8647dd11ecafafaea895ef3e670INT

So 130 out to the smug parts guy and 300 in for less than 10 mins of time and some clicking.

Mystery solved on the belt though, thank you to all who commented!