Hazard warning: Anderson PowerPole connectors in shore power wiring

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in General Boating Discussions
For older Rinker boats with shore power systems, some forum members have reported failures of Anderson PowerPole cable connectors.  Anderson makes high-quality products, and failures are rare, but there is a potential fire hazard when they fail.  This post is here to raise awareness of the issue, and encourage people to inspect their connectors.

Which boats are affected?
Failures have been reported in Rinker boats from the mid-1990's to late 2000's that have onboard shore power systems.

What is an Anderson PowerPole connector?
Anderson Power (andersonpower.com) makes high-quality cable connectors that Rinker used for shore power wiring (110V AC from shore power or generator).  Most appliances that use shore power, such as water heaters, battery chargers and fridges, have an inline connector within 2-3 feet of the appliance.  Here's a typical inline connector:

Rinker also used Anderson connectors in outlet boxes, junction boxes and shore power disconnect switches, as well as the main breaker panel.  Here's an outlet box with two Anderson connectors (this shows the BACK of the outlet box ... the front has regular 3-prong receptacles):

Not all appliances used PowerPole connectors.  Some use normal household plugs that plug into an outlet, but the outlet box might use PowerPole connectors.  

Why is this problem dangerous? 
Failures are rare, but potentially dangerous because they involve high-voltage wiring.  Of the thousands of Rinker boats with Anderson connectors, only a few of our members have reported failures.  Most of those involved minor inconveniences, but we had one report of a fire:

How would I know if a connector has failed?
If you are unsure, hire a pro to diagnose the problem.  Failures are more likely in wet locations such as the engine room and cockpit.  Warning signs:
  • An appliance stops working, or works intermittently 
  • An outlet stops working, or has low voltage 
  • The red "reverse polarity" light comes on at the main breaker panel 
  • A connector or outlet feels hot during use 
  • A connector won't unplug using normal force
How can I inspect for failure?
Unplug the connector and look at the contacts.  If won't unplug easily, there might be a problem.  If any connectors are partially melted like in this photo, there's definitely a problem.  

What should I do if I find a failed PowerPole connector?
Stop using it immediately.  In some cases, it might be possible to repair the connector using parts from andersonpower.com.  More likely, you'll need to either replace the connector, or eliminate it by splicing the wires.  For example, the water heater might be a good candidate for eliminating the connector.  (If you DIY, use proper marine-grade connectors -- never wire nuts or solder.) 

---------------------

If your boat has an Anderson PowerPole connector that has failed, please share details here.  I had a failure in the shore power disconnect switch, and it caused a "reverse polarity" light.  Water heater connectors failed for @raybo3, @Ian and @Rinker310_LI -- probably others too. 
Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    Great writeup 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done! This needs to go to other places like BoatUS

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one cares about this. I made a big write up about the Fire Boy system with the incorrect ground wiring and no one cared. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one cares about this. I made a big write up about the Fire Boy system with the incorrect ground wiring and no one cared. 
    Wow. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    [Handy, I was going to re-post the link to your post on fire extinguishers, but couldn't find it.]  BTW, all of these threads are publicly searchable, and they stay around for a long time.  Your old thread about fire suppression systems changed a lot of minds, including mine.  That's not the point here.  

The point is:  inspect your power connectors.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I will have to take a closer look on my 410, if I remember properly all the outlets are gfi but I can't be sure. thanks for the info. 
    goalie59 said:
    I will have to take a closer look on my 410, if I remember properly all the outlets are gfi but I can't be sure. thanks for the info. 
    Doesn't have anything to do with GFI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,453 admin
    Those lose connections happen all the time. I have seen breakers burn right out of the panel because of lose wires. IMHO I would much rather have a fuse protecting my home or boat. A breaker is a mechanical device that fail fairly regularly. So with that said its good practice to "exercise" your breakers every time you change your clocks (twice a year) to keep them from freezing or sticking. Also check for lose wires on your plugs also and on your shore power connector..... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I agree it’s a good idea to check these. I have a 2002 342. The power pole connector for my water heater failed last year. It was shorting out and luckily didn’t cause major problems before I found it. I eliminated the connection and spliced the wires. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Had the same problem last year with my hot water tank.I was thinking I needed a new tank checked power at heating element no power,problem was at that connection 2002 342
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    Just cut out another Anderson connector today. The guilty culprit was the gfi by the galley sink. 
    Alpha Technologies uses those style connectors on their CATV power supplies used to power the cable plant. In my 20+ years working on the cable plant, I have seen quite a few of them burn up due to high current draw. You get a little corrosion on it along with a typical current draw, the corrosion causes extra resistance, which heats up and melts. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    @LaRea When you pulled out the Anderson connectors what did you use as a grommet on the back of the electrical Junction boxes?  The opening is pretty big and i don't want to leave the wire just hanging. 
    Just cut out another Anderson connector today. The guilty culprit was the gfi by the galley sink. 
    Did you take any pics by chance?
    No not this time. The connectors were corroded and the plastic was deforming on the common wire. I had a heater plugged in to warm up the cabin while I was there and turned on a small shop vac also.  So just too many amps going through. All outlets are wired into one breaker so I guess the fittings got overloaded before the breaker.
    edited March 2022
    I used the original Anderson connector body as a grommet.  It's not water-tight, but it's a dry location.  I ran the wires through the plastic connector body, connected them with heat-shrink butt connectors, and then secured them with zip ties to the other Anderson connector and wire.  Effective, but not pretty.  Sorry, no pix.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Almost finished winterizing the plumbing systems today when I lost power at the cockpit 110 ACV plug. I checked the other receptacles in the circuit and the first one, galley GFI, was live and the 2 STBD cabin ones were dead. From looking at the 2004 wiring diagram, slightly different, I noticed that Anderson connectors were used so wondering if they were also used in a 2006 342 FV and where it might be located. 
    @Grahamu the Anderson connectors are attached to the back of the electrical boxes. If you pull the box out you will see it. Very likely your culprit is the GFI. Even though it is powered it could easily be stopping power from going downstream.
  • benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Glad this came back to the active threads!! At 0400 this morning my main shore power started cycling on and off on starboard side. Reverse polarity lights were on. Also have had intermittent issues w/ port power. Some to chase now!
    If the Anderson plugs are healthy, you can easily unplug them from the outlet box, so that's a good first test.  If they put up a fight, or if you see discoloration or melting on the pins after you unplug them, there's your problem.  

If you can't reach the back of the outlet box to unplug them, unscrew the front screws that hold the box to the fiberglass, and pull it out towards you.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @davidbrooks & @LaRea I will get a new GFI plug and install it. No access to the back of the box so hoping there is enough cable slack to pull it if that's where the problem is.
    A marine GFCI outlet is an expensive part.  I'd check those Anderson plugs first - it costs nothing except a little time.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭
    They are on the water heater connection too (at least in mine) and also failed a while ago.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I understand why they used them. It was easier for the wiring harness supplier to put those ends on and for the factory to efficiently put the harness together. There are probably other boat manufacturers using the same plugs in their harnesses as well, but we don’t hear about it. When they started using them, they probably never thought about corrosion at the connections. From a manufacturing standpoint, it’s a great idea. Repairing it, well we all know that’s a different story. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    A marine GFCI outlet is an expensive part.  I'd check those Anderson plugs first - it costs nothing except a little time.
    I had never heard of a marine GFCI so I googled it. A few blow boater threads on these but nothing concrete as far as the difference. Is this a real thing? I could have sworn the ones in my boat were just regular Leviton brand?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I also had one of the connectors go bad behind my water heater.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

IMHO a marine rated GFCI isn't going to be required in all circumstances.  In my case the circuit is protected with a GFCI in the cabin so i simply replaced mine with an exterior GFCI from HD.  IF it was in the engine room or near fumes i would be inclined to simply sell the boat.  Just seems like a bad idea to me.  The one thing i did notice that was different is that all electrical outlets are riveted into the boxes.  I did put mine back that way.  I see the value in the Anderson connectors as they can make up wiring harnesses for the 120 side of things and just drop them in place as they are building the boat.  I don't think they are a bad idea but they just seem like they aren't aging all that well. 
    @YYZRC I read those same threads about "marine" outlets, so I'm not sure either.  But my philosophy is:  If my boat has an electrical fire, I don't want the insurance company to find owner-installed Home Depot parts.  Personally, I'd pay extra for a product that says "marine".

On the PowerPole connectors -- I'm guessing we have them because Rinker saved more on labor than they spent on connectors.  It's one of the many things Rinker did to keep our boats affordable.  What we're learning now (thanks to this forum) is that the connectors have a service life of about 15 years.  
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    had to remove mine on the water heater also, thought I was going to have to replace water heater 
    2002 Rinker FV 342