Options

Rinker 270 With Outboards 😳

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Would that not cost way more than a repower? Guess you'd have more power...over achiever.
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't let me view unless signed up for an account....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Can you imagine that engine bay becoming storage?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Aqua_Aura
    That's a 1999-2001 model like I had and I can tell you that nub of a swim platform is essentially hollow inside. Hope they braced it up. Also curious as to how the steering works....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I saw a nice new 270'ish size going down the road heading to the daytona area...out boards. It just foes not look right...it's not the yacht look of a boat to me. I'm sure it's a sweet boat.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate it, but it is hacked together.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just a proof of concept and version 2.0 is in progress?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it’s made out of 3/4” plywood. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'd be interested to see how it runs on plane.  I mean, they took 1000 pounds and moved it back 6 or 8 feet.  That's gotta play havoc on the balance.  
  • Options
    They also added 200hp!
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Not a fan,  but I get it. If that model had a single engine he now has a back up for safety and extra power.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I'll go out on a limb here:  I think it's ignorant and dangerous.  
    <EDIT: Later I realized this comment was poorly written, and I rewrote it as follows:  If the mod was done in ignorance of the effects on stability, it's potentially dangerous.  >

For a 270 hull, the stability calculations assume the engine's weight is below the waterline.  That's how it's designed.  If you move that 1000 pounds of mass two feet ABOVE the waterline, the boat will roll like a pig and be more prone to capsizing.  And because it's so far back, the boat will be prone to swamping in following seas.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    What certification process is required of a boat manufacturer to get a vessel approved for sale in the US?

Edit: I went down this rabbit hole.  Maybe you can, too!  https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/index2.html
  • Options
    I'm not sure.  Inspected vessels need a stability certificate, but I don't know about rec boats.  ABYC standards are voluntary.  
  • Options
    Looks like any jackwagon with fiberglass and a mold can build and sell rec boats in the US.  And if you own a rec boat, nothing prevents you from making bad decisions about it.  

A few things are regulated, such as documentation and nav lights.  Stability and overloading are not regulated. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I'll go out on a limb here:  I think it's ignorant and dangerous.  

For a 270 hull, the stability calculations assume the engine's weight is below the waterline.  That's how it's designed.  If you move that 1000 pounds of mass two feet ABOVE the waterline, the boat will roll like a pig and be more prone to capsizing.  And because it's so far back, the boat will be prone to swamping in following seas.  
    I agree, I’m thinking that’s the maiden voyage. I want to know if it made it back to the ramp!?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited March 2022
    Ok, maybe I  shouldn't comment this time of night, but I  think both ignorant AND dangerous?  Come on Chris!  We don't know the entire circumstance of what's going on. As someone with a BSEE, MSEE, MSME, MSSE....well, I think it's something that hey, maybe they're trying it out.  First, with motors moved back, bow would stay down.  Sure the CG would change.  Inertia and steering pivot point would change. If I were to put it in a CAD model, I  don't believe there would be any chance of rolling, let alone flipping.  Following seas?  I don't know, I  think you may be surprised.  It looks like something I'd love to do if I  had the time.  Now, this is not saying I like outdrives on the back of my cruiser!  Far from it and I love my platform way too much.  It would be a fun project though to compare it between  a model and real life. OK, back to watching my Paralympics hockey for gold medal. Go USA!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....then again you could use that empty engine bay for a reeeeally big gas tank either for when you found a deal on gas or to cruise the Caribbean.
  • Options
    Haha -- @Dream_Inn you are right.  I should have said:  <If> the mod was done in ignorance of the effects on stability, it's <potentially> dangerous.  

My boat weighs 10 tons, and I can affect the running angle by relocating a 50-pound cooler.  A 270 weighs only 4 tons, and they relocated 1000 pounds.  That's 13% of the boat's weight.  

Most Rinker cruisers will swamp the swim platform if you're on plane and you cut the throttle.  Well, imagine doing that after moving 1000 pounds from the engine room back onto the swim platform.  You'll probably swamp the whole cockpit.  

Same with roll stability.  If you move 13% of the boat's weight 3-4 feet higher, that's a big deal.  Hull shapes are designed based on the weight and location of the machinery. 
  • Options
    From what I read on the link I posted above, most hulls are just copies of another manufacturer's hull.

Anyway, the empty engine bay would be a great place for a Seakeeper!
  • Options
    I've never seen a builder offer the option of inboards or outboards on the same hull. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Four Winns V355 Coupe was available with either sterndrives or outboards.  Regal 36/38 and 42 (pod drive) as well.

https://www.regalboats.com/fleet-search/

https://www.boatingmag.com/four-winns-vista-355-boat-test/
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Is it the same hull?  Or are there differences to account for the different load?
  • Options
    The boats look the same to me from the waterline up but I don't know for sure.  The pics of the 42 XO show the engine room repurposed as a giant storage space.

I don't think boat building is anything like automotive - vehicles are so heavily regulated in all aspects.  Boats, it seems like all you need is a HIN code, some warning labels and coast guard approved lighting.
  • Options
    For rec boats, you are right.   

Another consideration is insurance.  The policy was probably issued assuming it's a production boat.  Removing the boat's engine and installing outdrives would almost certainly void the insurance.  

But -- it gave us something interesting to talk about on an abbreviated "spring ahead" Sunday morning!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd want better engines, but it'd be great to have outboards on a 270!
  • Options
    I think version 2.0 should have wider spacing on the outboards. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I think version 2.0 should have wider spacing on the outboards. 
    Agree 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 if you don't post more details about this boat, it's going to drive us all crazy.