aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea
    I wish I had more info!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    YYZRC said:
    The boats look the same to me from the waterline up but I don't know for sure.  The pics of the 42 XO show the engine room repurposed as a giant storage space.

I don't think boat building is anything like automotive - vehicles are so heavily regulated in all aspects.  Boats, it seems like all you need is a HIN code, some warning labels and coast guard approved lighting.
    I'm sorry, do you have another picture with the bowling alley?
    That's crazy, I don't see in your thread what boat this was? Or, not smart enough for what the xo is?
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    … As someone with a BSEE, MSEE, MSME, MSSE....
    I knew there was something wrong with you!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I'm sorry, do you have another picture with the bowling alley?
    That's crazy, I don't see in your thread what boat this was? Or, not smart enough for what the xo is?
    https://www.regalboats.com/model/36xo-outboard/
    https://www.regalboats.com/model/38-xo-outboard/
    https://www.regalboats.com/model/42-xo-yacht/

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Wow,  have not seen a regal in my neck of the woods like that...regal has been working on it! When you get to the vemo account, notice there is the same boat with inboard motors...just looks better but the space was well used. Good luck getting a fuel tank out...
  • Options
    What’s up with Rinker owners and outboards?!!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbNVPEGDj9O/?utm_medium=copy_link

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    edited March 2022
    We had a forum member from Greece who boats on the Med, where two engines are required by law.  He mounted a small outboard to the swim platform as a "get home" engine.  That I can understand 100%.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    We had a forum member from Greece who boats on the Med, where two engines are required by law.  He mounted a small outboard to the swim platform as a "get home" engine.  That I can understand 100%.  
    I remember him, he had a nice setup. It was on a 242.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    This guys hailing port is Miami though, not Greece. @oscar1 , keep an eye out for him!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries about rusty steering pins with that setup. I say bravo. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    This guys hailing port is Miami though, not Greece. @oscar1 , keep an eye out for him!
    I will it
  • Options
    I call fooee on this one...I think the motor is just flopping back and forth...
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Southern Boating mag has an article this month about repowering stern drives w/ outboards. Guess it's a thing now.
    https://dashboard.mazsystems.com/reader/77806?#Rc@16xVCyu%=64

Not much of a mag. Kind of Southern Living for boaters. Adm likes it.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    That's the first boating mag I have flipped through in years, thanks for the link. Enjoyed the article on the repower.  An outboard would give me a huge increase in storage area with my 212. As the article says though, if you thinking of selling in a couple of years don't do it.  Not sure what the lifespan is on the mag350/alpha1, but I am now thinking about what to do if there is a major failure with either component. If I was to trade in, I would look at at a 23' centre console . Nice to dream on a cold grey Sunday morning in March.
  • Options
    There's no escaping the fact that a boat becomes less stable when you move weight higher on the boat.  It reduces the roll recovery angle.  If you move 1000 pounds up 5 feet, it reduces the boat's ability to handle rough water.  

I just read a HullTruth thread about an outboard conversion.  A couple people said "hey what about stability" and the rest said the conversion was a great idea.  When the guy finished his conversion, he said the boat runs great and goes fast.  But of course, he never said how it handles in beam seas.  

Interesting side note:  A guy called @pistole (remember him?) said he was starting an outboard conversion on his Rinker 330.  That was May 2019, right around the time he disappeared from our forum.  

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how-s-kerno-memorial-forum/636690-inboard-outboard-conversion-project-wellcraft-st-tropez-11.html
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I spoke to a very good friend of mine who built many boats in his day mostly racing boats. At one time he was a certified Rinker dealer and I bought my boat from him. Fascinating guy, very much like Al. I showed him the picture of the 270 with twin OB's. His comments were very interesting. First thing I asked was speed. He said the boat would most likely gain speed and he went into detail (about bow angle and so on). Again very interesting.  Next I asked about stability (based on what LaRea said) and his answer was, wouldn't make any noticeable difference. Most likely no difference at all. He also said he has seen this many times but not quite like the way that 270 was done. His biggest concern was the OB bracket. How it was built and how it was mounted. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Yes , the install on the one featured in the Southern Boating magazine looked pro.
  • Options
    Sounds like he knows his stuff.  Personally, I would not go offshore in a boat modified like that unless I was convinced they had considered stability.  Call me paranoid!   :)
  • Options
    LaRea the other thing he said is the OB's being so close together is very common on racing boats. They actually do that on purpose.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Did he say why?  Looking for to get the props in deeper water to avoid cavitation, I'd guess.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMC hung a pair of large outboards way out and up on the hull of mid size cruisers starting way back around 1980. The Sea Drive.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @LaRea not really he just said its very common and he see's it all the time.