Options

Low Profile Bilge Pump

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever see this bilge pump? I’m thinking about installing it at the lowest point in the bilge at the drain plug. The original will be a backup if this one ever fails. I can use a “Y” adapter and plumb it into the existing hose. Thoughts?

https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=&Product_ID=10002&FriendlyID=Supersub-Smart-Low-Profile-Automatic-Bilge-Pumps

”Y” adapter

https://www.go2marine.com/Rule-Pump-Adapters?gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANwD2zzLVU2Mo7kpqkj8fvCGDidWZt203x3YEqrGNGw4CjXQ5q0_HMwaAoBzEALw_wcB
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Been looking at reviews on it and they aren’t the best……
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a diaphragm pump with a hose that goes right into the garbord plug area to get that last bit of water out. Works perfect. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I just use a small 2 1/2 gal shop vac.  The problem is that last bit of water also has other junk in it that would likely clog up the pump.  I actually just replaced my bilge pump.  One item i was going back and forth on was a fully automatic pump vs one with an attached float switch. I decided to go with the float switch.  The automatic ones turn on every two minutes to check for water and it gets a little annoying and it uses up battery.  The float does allow more water to build up but it will still work off of a switch manually at the helm.  I was also able to move mine back a little and get it to pick up more.  i also bumped up the size.  I went from 950 gpm to 1500gpm.  In this case bigger is definitely better.  Water shoots out the side now about 4ft.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I have a diaphragm pump with a hose that goes right into the garbord plug area to get that last bit of water out. Works perfect. 
    I remember you installing that. I would like to have something that’s automatic. I like the idea of having 2 pumps incase one fails.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah the diaphragm pump doesn’t move much water. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have used this one for a year or so, has been great having a super dry bilge.. https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Dry-Bilge-System/dp/B07V4G41K4

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    What blows me away is just how much water goes into the bilge from rain.  I am on a lift.  Can leave a boat that is perfectly dry and come back to one with 20 gal of water in it.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    You ever think about adding a 12V timer to it? Would make it automatic. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I bought one last year and didn’t install because my bilge was rarely wet! I solved virtually all of the leaks in the various fittings plus canvas. Worst offender was the fresh water hook up. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I also installed a diaphram pump and plumbed it to the sink drain.  I have it wired to the bilge pump so they both run at the same time.  Just to keep the bilge as dry as possible.  I love it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I think I’m finally going to get around to installing a second pump in the bilge. What size is the discharge hose on our Rinkers? Is it 3/4? I’m going to use a “Y” adapter to tie into the existing hose.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 19
  • Options
    edited April 19
    @aero3113 wouldn’t the y cause some water to backflow to the other pump? I guess you are planning a high loop in the hose?