Options

Low Profile Bilge Pump

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever see this bilge pump? I’m thinking about installing it at the lowest point in the bilge at the drain plug. The original will be a backup if this one ever fails. I can use a “Y” adapter and plumb it into the existing hose. Thoughts?

https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=&Product_ID=10002&FriendlyID=Supersub-Smart-Low-Profile-Automatic-Bilge-Pumps

”Y” adapter

https://www.go2marine.com/Rule-Pump-Adapters?gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANwD2zzLVU2Mo7kpqkj8fvCGDidWZt203x3YEqrGNGw4CjXQ5q0_HMwaAoBzEALw_wcB
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Been looking at reviews on it and they aren’t the best……
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a diaphragm pump with a hose that goes right into the garbord plug area to get that last bit of water out. Works perfect. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    I just use a small 2 1/2 gal shop vac.  The problem is that last bit of water also has other junk in it that would likely clog up the pump.  I actually just replaced my bilge pump.  One item i was going back and forth on was a fully automatic pump vs one with an attached float switch. I decided to go with the float switch.  The automatic ones turn on every two minutes to check for water and it gets a little annoying and it uses up battery.  The float does allow more water to build up but it will still work off of a switch manually at the helm.  I was also able to move mine back a little and get it to pick up more.  i also bumped up the size.  I went from 950 gpm to 1500gpm.  In this case bigger is definitely better.  Water shoots out the side now about 4ft.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I have a diaphragm pump with a hose that goes right into the garbord plug area to get that last bit of water out. Works perfect. 
    I remember you installing that. I would like to have something that’s automatic. I like the idea of having 2 pumps incase one fails.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah the diaphragm pump doesn’t move much water. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have used this one for a year or so, has been great having a super dry bilge.. https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Dry-Bilge-System/dp/B07V4G41K4

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    What blows me away is just how much water goes into the bilge from rain.  I am on a lift.  Can leave a boat that is perfectly dry and come back to one with 20 gal of water in it.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    You ever think about adding a 12V timer to it? Would make it automatic. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I bought one last year and didn’t install because my bilge was rarely wet! I solved virtually all of the leaks in the various fittings plus canvas. Worst offender was the fresh water hook up. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I also installed a diaphram pump and plumbed it to the sink drain.  I have it wired to the bilge pump so they both run at the same time.  Just to keep the bilge as dry as possible.  I love it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I think I’m finally going to get around to installing a second pump in the bilge. What size is the discharge hose on our Rinkers? Is it 3/4? I’m going to use a “Y” adapter to tie into the existing hose.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 19
  • Options
    edited April 19
    @aero3113 wouldn’t the y cause some water to backflow to the other pump? I guess you are planning a high loop in the hose?
  • Options
    @YYZRC I could put a high loop but the amount of water that would back flow would back flow even if I only had the one pump so doesn’t really matter. Both pumps are in the same bay the new one will be installed at the transom.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It’s probably smarter to just drill the hole and have two separate systems. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    @aero3113 I too saw the mixed reviews/ratings on that pump but took a chance since I like how it fits down low.  I wanted a 2nd pump in the bilge anyway so it wasn't completely critical that it function perfectly.  Although it's only been one full season, it's performed flawlessly so far and was great for getting the water out from the low point due to my leaking hot water heater. 
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270