Options

Rudder angle and VVM

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
Last weekend my Vessel View Mobile modem became invisible on my tablet's Bluetooth. After frustrating 1/2 hour I finally turned off, and then back on, both engine batteries and it became visible. I then had to reprogram and block some alerts. One of which was drive angle. I have a VDO rudder angle sensor which I could mount tied into the steering arm. Question is can it be connected to VVM and if yes what cables would be needed. I know I could put in a rudder angle gauge and replace the clock that doesn't work but would prefer it connected to VVM.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    I found a pic that shows the connector with the tag on it reading “STEER…”.  Top right I circled the wires where they connect to the sensor. 

Maybe you can match the pin out and use your sensor. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Answers

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I have a rudder angle sensor as part of VV. It was plug and play with the existing engine harness. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    @YYZRC thanks for the info but I am dealing with Vessel View Mobile which, I think, is different. I have a cables running from both engines to a J box and the Vessel View Module plugs into it and broadcasts a Bluetooth signal to my tablet. My VDO sensor is analogue so not sure how it would connect to the J box.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, the steering angle sensor that I have doesn't connect to the Smartcraft harness.  It connects into the engine wiring harness.  If you look at the engine harness near the starboard transom assembly you should see an unused connector.  When I'm at my boat this weekend I will take a pic and post it.
  • Options
    OK thanks I'll check back then I will be at the boat also
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Here’s the Merc steering sensor assembly. It comes with a longer steering pin. 

• Options
    Thanks again,  I will look for it. Did you hard wire it in or does the plug have a matching connector?
  • Options
    It had the matching connector and was just plug and play. 
  • Options
    Thanks, I will connect the sensor and manually operate it to check the display.
  • Options
    On a separate note, which clock do you have?  The 2" round analog?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu I see you got the new XIV covers…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @Ian, yesI did and in that photo the horn cover is upside down since corrected.
  • Options
    Searched both engines and could not find a plug or wires marked "steer". My Merc engine serial # is 0W347671. The service manual I have does not show a plug in the wiring diagrams. I also decided not to use the VDO sensor as it would be difficult to mount. I'll research the 3 Mercury senders mentioned by @YYZRC.
  • Options
    I looked at mine over the weekend and it was in both the port and starboard harness at the transom assemblies. I will take another pic. Maybe I am wrong and it was part of another harness that I added for VV. 
  • Options
    @YYZRC I did find an open plug but it was marked paddle wheel/sea temp. I have emailed Mercury for advice. Thanks again
  • Options
    I have had a reply from Mercury saying VVM will not display drive angle at this time, maybe later. Strange because I had to silence/block steering alarm on both engines. They did provide info on connecting to VV 502, 703, 902. I will now get a rudder angle gauge and connect that to a sensor.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Here’s a pic of the plug and the harness with part number. Based on the dirt and the date on the harness label I am certain it is original to the boat. 

• Options
    @YYZRC, I definitely do not have that plug, here is what Mercury sent based on my serial #.

Thank you for your email regarding MerCruiser serial number 0w347671.  We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your questions.

I do not show that you can select Steering Angle on the Mobile App Module. VesselViews that you can install into the vessels helm will have this feature but VesselView Mobile does not show this.

If you are installing a VesselView you could add a steering sensor to be displayed on the dash mounted screen. We are making changes in the Mobile App Module so I do not know if you had this feature. I do not see this feature so take notice.  

To add a teering sensor to be displayed on a VesselView 502, 703 or 902 following will work with your engine.

The kit show below will give you the harnesses you need to connect a steering sensor. There will be a drop on the engine harness that will be a 10-pin connector for Trnsom harness. This drop is what is used to connect a provided harness. We ussually recommend connecting the steering sensor to the starboard engine.

The kit part # is 863188A5. Not cheap, I will try and find a way of mounting the VDO sensor as that is a major part of the cost. I saw a YouTube video using the same sensor and mounting it to the port transom assy and connecting to a 2" gauge.