Options

Dinghy motor hp

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
What size motor for a 8' 3 person dinghy?

Would a 3.5 or 2.5 work for putting around the harbor?
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some cool electric outboard options for putting around. I would try that first. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC -:pretty expensive compared to a gas.  No?

Any recommendations on electric at a good price point?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I thought money was no object!!

There are a couple of Torqeedos at my marina but I just looked them up and $$$
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I loved my Merc 3.3hp.  It is extremely efficient on fuel and can actually get my dinghy, with just me in it, up on plane if I sit forward.  I have a 2-stroke one that weighs only 28lbs.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn - based on ur comment I'd probably be okay with a 2.5?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Think I found a 3.5hp engine for $1050 free shipping
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Yes, 2.5hp would probably be fine as well, although maybe that little more up to the 3.5 would allow single person to plane like mine.  I did use to have a 2.5hp Nissan, but really like my 3.3 Merc a lot more.

• Options
    @Dream_Inn - I'm pulling the trigger on 3.5
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    FWIW, my dink is almost the same as you show.  I think mine is 8' 6".  I'll also add that I was not happy with an 8hp I tried on it.  It was also a 2 stroke that weighed 56lbs, but without a hard bottom, just was not worth it.  I love the motor and actually letting a friend use it on his hard bottom right now.  He's not sure if he wants to buy it or go with a 9.9hp.  For those saying go with electric, he had an electric and switched because, even with 2 batteries, he found it was a pain to try to keep them charged.  He has dogs and uses it often and dislikes running his generator just to charge them up.  Now, on the other end, another person loved his electric motor but he always had his generator going.  So no big deal keeping it charged.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 9.9 on your dingy? What are you doing, running your dingy for green peace to get between whales and a whaling boat?  

I ran an electric start 1986 Yamaha 4 stroke for years. Never gave me a bit of problems but that 100 lbs sucked to lift 
  • Options
    What I just ordered says it's 41#...not too bad
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will be just fine. My dad had that exact dinghy with a 4 stroke 4hp merc and it was more than enough power for 4 adults to put put around the harbor. Agree 2.5 would even be fine, I had a 2.5 on a 9' as a kid and it moved 5 people around the harbor with ease. Dad's biggest issue with that WM dinghy was that it was a bit tight for 4 adults.....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - it will mostly be my wife, me and daughter and small dog.  Perfect for us.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    We have an 8HP 4 stroke Tohatsu (made by Merc) on the 9’ hard bottom, got to 17mph SOG with my son and I in it and on plane - about 400 pounds between us. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @Ian I think Merc is a rebrand of Tohatsu.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    @Ian I think Merc is a rebrand of Tohatsu.
    I thought it was the other way around, either way it’s nice engine.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Actually many outboard brands are Tohatsu rebrands.

https://crateinc.com/history-tohatsu-outboards/
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2hp Honda. I'm not winning any races with it, but it starts easily, sips the fuel and hauls me and a friend around the harbor just fine. Andy.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Got my dink setup and the Merc 3.5 hp.  I don't have any experience driving a tiller outboard and I have to say it's more difficult to coordinate than I thought.  LOL.  

I had issues with the little Merc...I was really frustrated.  It ran great initially and then all of a sudden started to run like crud.  It would die and then dump fuel out of the carb indicating a stuck float or something like that.  WTF...brand new outboard.

I took the engine home and ran it on a garbage can full of water and disassembled the carb.  Turns out the float assembly has a rubber plug that covers one of the jets that popped out causing the carb to flood.  Replaced the plug and back in business.

Crazy.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    That is crazy for a brand new outboard.  QA has sure disappeared!

• Options
    I wouldn’t have spent that much time on a brand new motor but glad you got her running! 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to over steer, there may be a way to tighten the friction, so it is a little stiffer to steer. Try that. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Follow up on this.  I've determined that storing the motor in a vertical position is key.  Laying it down does something to the carb float.  Luckily on my 270 it hangs nicely on one of the cockpit rails.  I haven't had any issues.

The motor instructions absolutely say you can store it laying down...there's even a sticker on the motor.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I always ran mine out of gas before storing but it was easier to do with an external tank. 
  • Options
    Yes I've been doing that too.  Shutting off the gas valve and running all the gas out of the carb.  Thing will run for 15 minutes before it dies.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Mine says lays only on the left side, there’s a small square foot it rests on built into the cover. However I have an outboard stand I use over winter when it’s home that hangs it upright.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”