Anyone add a second midcleat on a 270?

luvinlifeluvinlife Portsmouth RIMember Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
For those of you that own a 270, you already know that the midcleat is almost impossible to reach from the helm. I’m thinking about adding one a little further aft that I can reach from the helm. Wondering has anybody done this, and how difficult was it?

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24
    I added mid cleats on my 2013 Rinker EC 310. I did NOT use them for a mooring line as I could not get a backing plate to the area. I did use it for a fender that did get quite a work out though! I did put a lot of hand pressure on it too and it seemed very robust but not like the yanking it could have received if used for a mooring line It may have been strong enough for a spring line as Rinker hulls are pretty thick in that area. I pre-drilled the holes by running the drill in reverse first to avoid chipping the gel coat then in forward. I used SS screws with 3M 5000. 
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLMember Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great idea mr T- not enough cleats with various marina docks..th hang the fenders and lines...
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you just want it for a fender, why not consider this:
    https://tacomarine.com/dockside-accessories-store-f16-0151-1
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25
    @YYZRC.....in my case I wanted the fender to be in a very specific location. I could not get a backing plate with washer and nuts into that area so I used good sized ss screws and 5200. Rinker hulls being a robust as they are the screws I used really penetrated and held the cleat very firmly in place. As I said I'm not sure I would use it for a mooring line in an exposed slip area. From the website you provided a link to it looks like the tacomarine fender attachment required a washer and nut to affix it which ruled-out using it where I did due to a lack of access.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25
    Yes it does require a nut on the back. I have them and have been meaning to install at the stern near the cleat (so that I don’t have to share the cleat with line and fender) but haven’t gotten around to it. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay