Anyone add a second midcleat on a 270?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
For those of you that own a 270, you already know that the midcleat is almost impossible to reach from the helm. I’m thinking about adding one a little further aft that I can reach from the helm. Wondering has anybody done this, and how difficult was it?

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I added mid cleats on my 2013 Rinker EC 310. I did NOT use them for a mooring line as I could not get a backing plate to the area. I did use it for a fender that did get quite a work out though! I did put a lot of hand pressure on it too and it seemed very robust but not like the yanking it could have received if used for a mooring line It may have been strong enough for a spring line as Rinker hulls are pretty thick in that area. I pre-drilled the holes by running the drill in reverse first to avoid chipping the gel coat then in forward. I used SS screws with 3M 5000. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great idea mr T- not enough cleats with various marina docks..th hang the fenders and lines...
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you just want it for a fender, why not consider this:
    https://tacomarine.com/dockside-accessories-store-f16-0151-1
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @YYZRC.....in my case I wanted the fender to be in a very specific location. I could not get a backing plate with washer and nuts into that area so I used good sized ss screws and 5200. Rinker hulls being a robust as they are the screws I used really penetrated and held the cleat very firmly in place. As I said I'm not sure I would use it for a mooring line in an exposed slip area. From the website you provided a link to it looks like the tacomarine fender attachment required a washer and nut to affix it which ruled-out using it where I did due to a lack of access.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Yes it does require a nut on the back. I have them and have been meaning to install at the stern near the cleat (so that I don’t have to share the cleat with line and fender) but haven’t gotten around to it. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    LIfe-question for you about the 270...we have two dry storage ( 3 if you count behind the seat back next to the help), do yours have holes in them to drain water? I have been chasing a leak since I bought the boat and finally, thanks to Ian, found out where the water was coming from! I don't know if Rinker drilled them or the PO which I'm curious about...
  • stuckmotostuckmoto Member Posts: 13
    rasbury said:
    LIfe-question for you about the 270...we have two dry storage ( 3 if you count behind the seat back next to the help), do yours have holes in them to drain water? I have been chasing a leak since I bought the boat and finally, thanks to Ian, found out where the water was coming from! I don't know if Rinker drilled them or the PO which I'm curious about...
    I don't have holes drilled in mine(2003). Curious, where was your's leaking from? I'm chasing one now too(fixed one,found another)
    2003 270FV 350mag/B3
    @stuckmoto
    It was leaking from the storage at the curve by the helm and then it ran into the ceiling of the midship berth/storage area...I think the PO must have then...and there was just no where for the water to go. Leaks are tuff! I thought I had it fixed a few times...thought t was the speaker by the map pocket...thought it was leaking around the floor area where the trash can drops in...sealed that all up....I had everything pulled out for the hurricane and noticed that that compartment did not fill up with water and went to looking!