Here we go...hurricane season for the US starts..

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Have a cousin in North Port, near the Myakka River. He's been on a chainsaw for 4 straight days just to cut his way into the house so he can cover the holes in the roof and assess damage. Had to go in by boat the first couple of days, now just chest waders. Luckily it doesn't sound like a lot of flood damage, the house was on the high part of the lot.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His house was saved, good for him being on high ground. Did he evacuate? Looks like the water has receded 1 ft when this picture was taken. Nice place to visit............
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pine island looks like it was bombed out...lots of low income folks in that area that won't be able to rebuild...
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Lithium does not like water....
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy to see how much damage one storm can do.. 
    And other than Lee County, most of the damage is water. Prior hurricanes always had the threat of many inches of rain per hour but they moved so fast it did not accumulate. This one did not. We got 15 " of rain. This was driving to work last Friday after the storm. Have never seen water on this road, even when we had major flooding in the past.
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Just got my two year renewal registration sticker for my PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) which got me thinking about how many EPIRBs possibly automatically deployed from storm wrecked boats during Hurricane Ian - and how does NOAA/SARSAT handle that type of situation -- trying to determine real versus accidental activations on a mass scale.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 , good thought. They can tell date and time it went off. They would be able to tell if it was during the storm but that doesn’t help if someone was on one of the vessels at the time. 
    2008 330EC
    and I thought we were done here in FL....rare but it does happen...and is! We are flooded out now, the river I boat in was expected to be at above flood state through the end of this month and here comes another rain event....lots of folks will not recover from this...and if they do, good luck getting insurance.
    Good luck Ras, where your rubbers. 
    Boat Name : 

Am I going to vegas?
  • mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    This is the 2nd storm to pass through this season. Whenever I hear of one I go to the boat and take down the camper canvass and store all the seating. I am always concerned that the top will get trashed during high winds. I was wandering at what wind speed should I get concerned or am I just over reacting.
    @mbnarney , mine made it through 80 mph. West wind on the port side. Luckily no damage. The aft curtain ended up unzipping and blowing off. One of my Dock neighbors secured it in the cockpit. Check out the video.

https://youtu.be/aoaICv1iNq4
    2008 330EC
    Yikes it's tougher stuff than I thought.  Mine is attached to a bimini as I don't have the arch. I guess as long as the frame holds up I should be ok in as least tropical storm force.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Why take a chance remove it and store below.
    I didn’t have my cockpit cover at the time and there was torrential rain as well. Took a chance because I didn’t want the cockpit and cabin to flood. Luckily it worked in my favor. Now the cockpit cover goes on!
    2008 330EC
    Going down to 23 Sunday nite, darn Canadians sending cold air down here. 75 on Wednesday. Not ready for this. 
    Boat Name : 

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Getting that tonight here.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Couldn't even hear the wind down here in the keys.. Can't believe we dodged another one.. it's because I paid for that expensive hurricane plan at a marina.  Hope all our middle florida friends did okay!
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    How does all of these Hurricane's affect your insurance?  I realize you already pay VERY high insurance, but does each individual storm cause it to go higher?  It seems it would never ever stop increasing! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    So far the boat insurance is stable. The house has tripled in 6 years.
    That's about right @mbnarney ...until two come through and wipe out the boats....some fixer uppers out there now...
    rasbury said:
    And other than Lee County, most of the damage is water. Prior hurricanes always had the threat of many inches of rain per hour but they moved so fast it did not accumulate. This one did not. We got 15 " of rain. This was driving to work last Friday after the storm. Have never seen water on this road, even when we had major flooding in the past.
    Why would anyone dislike this comment?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    rasbury said:
    Why would anyone dislike this comment?
    Maybe they dislike the negative impact that flood is having on the community ... as in being sympathetic??? Dunno otherwise.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    After avoiding the wildfires at the end of May, 2 weeks ago we had a rainfall that dumped 270mm(almost 9" ) of rain over 8 hours. My finished basement took in water for the first time ever. Today they are packing up my furniture, renting pods for storage, tearing up the baseboards and flooring and some drywall. The last time Nova Scotia had this much rainfall was from a hurricane in 1971, and this was just a rainstorm. Hurricane season?....I can't wait to see what that brings this year. I have only been to in the ol' 212 3 times so far this year.
    Have an acquaintance that works for an insurance restoration company. He and his crew have been out there for the past 10 days working around the clock, all from Ontario. His biggest complaint is that they couldn't get enough rooms wherever it is they're at, so he's been sleeping in the company van. He figures they'll be another month before coming home...
    @Willhound I have a lady from BC, a lady from Newfoundland and her husband and they have been here working 7 days a week for the most part.  Our coordinator is from Ontario. All hands on deck!  
    edited August 2023
    @halifax212 Ok, this is a far stretch but the coordinator wouldn't be a French guy named Rick would it?
    No,  but would have been funny if it was.