Options

Trim operation

2»

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....would say I have it boiled down to the switch in the handle- which seems odd. It also looks hard to find the parts to service or replace the handle...I see them online with a quick search you see "some" but I don't seem to be able to find a part number...
  • Options
    Wow, getting the trim switch out was fun..the pig tail is about 3' long so it goes through the big wad of wiring harness back to around under the sink...so grasping at zip ties through the inspection plate...then pulled the tub where the cooler would go to get to the rest of it. Will say when I got to the connector it had a wire twisted around it to help keep it from getting pulled apart.  Will be std for me now on. The connector looks of good quality as the pins are nice and shiny silver. Must not be merc as when I finally started pulling the harness through I hear "clink" as the connector is to big to fit through the merc housing so a little customization was needed. No part number on it...good place to go? Sites I'm seeing want a part number!

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Do you have a picture of the throttle handle to try to identify it?

Can probably find it somewhere in here:
    Mercruiser - Rigging Parts & Accessories - Remote Controls and Components OEM Parts | Boats.net
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Might be best to replace the binnacle. I did it on both of my Rinkers. Not a tough job and much nicer ergonomics when done. Seastar Xtreme. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thanks for the info- I was able to find a new switch and on the way- I thought as bout changing out but that goes beyond just throttle to do-
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury.  I was having a similar intermittent issue.  One thing you can look at now that you have determined the solenoid's are ok. Is the connector under the throttle housing.  There are a couple of screws to take off the cover and then a couple more to loosen up the throttle from the fiberglass.  There should be enough slack to pull it up about a foot.  The wires from the throttle handle run down to a connector that was a little flaky for me.  You can cut it out and just permanently splice the wires together or what i did was just put a couple of zip ties on the connector to help keep it tight.  You might try also cleaning the connectors a little.  This wire hangs down and i think that it just takes a bit of a pounding and works its way loose sometimes. 

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Hey @davidbrooks, thanks for the comments...I did figure out the switch in the handle was testing bad..I did not try to fix it as I did not want to be dealing with it again- 100 bucks and back in business...and as you also mentioned, my connector also had a wire twisted around it to help keep it from being pulled apart.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    If you ever need to clean contacts, I highly advise a really good one that I used on my horn that I used to have to do twice a year, it’s now been two years since I sprayed it with this.  Great stuff!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BBV4G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yea, horn is on the list....I did get my new trim switch in....just plugged it into the harness...nothing- now no up, down...or noise. So I'm getting a tad annoyed...check the selonoid....finally figured I took the hot wire off the pump. Works fine...so hopefully I can get the pucks for position and trim limit to work and tick that off the list. Back to the bilge pump..

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Well, not 100% success but on the bench it jumps no problem and the seloinoids click on the switch so I'm cleaning up connections...everything is coated with a black material...is that something to stop corrosion? If not, is there something I should put on the connections? Also found pink in the the tank...assume I have some water...I pulled the tank off and at one of the screws there is a pretty good crack. I put diletric gease on the connectiins and it seems to be running much better but the tank will slow the rest of the work on the trim. Will get back to the other stuff while I wait. What about the cylinders, is there a way to flush those out?
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    I thought I updated this...I did get the switch and now at least with a hit to the up I get a click but is not running the motor. Two new selonoids arriving am- up and trailer up work fine. I think I said after the suggestions to replace them I thought it was the handle but after that was fixed, may have other issues down the line. All the connections look good, not smart enough to know how  to bench rest stuff like that...