Options

Is the 2007 350 Rinker with 350 Mags underpowered

13»

Answers

• Options
    MyloMylo Member Posts: 44
    I am not sure on the pins, didn't have a chance to check them , is this a mercruiser issue or just on these boats, I have a Rinker 310 and haven't had any issues, do they use the same kind of pins on the 310 it has mercruiser 5.0 motors. Boat is coming out of water tommorrow, can pins be checked when on land? Boat was not neglected , inside and outside great condition,owner has health issues so he couldn't use it, had cleaned weekly but did not use this year at all, just sat in water, only took out last year a couple times. Not sure on genny if fuel inj, or carb I can check on that. Having surveyed on Monday. I like the boat but hesitant with the underpower issue and potential stringer/transom issues, surveyor should be able to tell me if any moisture. Do you feel it is resaleable if i just don't like it?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you found a gem. See what the survivor says and tell him the areas you want him to pay attention to. Yes, you can tell if the pins have been leaking on land (if they have been leaking for a while).
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    The transom assemblies are the same assuming you have Bravos on your 310. The pins just rust and leak. They won’t sink the boat - more of an annoyance really - but it is expensive to fix them as @Dutch320 indicated. One way to tell us to look for muddy residue in the recess where the steering arm comes through the transom assembly. 

Both @aero3113 and I have done well at finding Rinker gems for well below market value. They are great boats with some quirks just like anything else - I’m sure you know as you have one now. If you buy it right you will have room to sell it right, too. 

Are you having a mechanical inspection performed? Make sure they read the hours from the ECM; don’t trust the gauges. 

Report back after the survey!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The pins are not Rinker issues, it’s 1000% Mercruiser hundreds of manufacturers effected.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Do you feel this is a gem, worth buying since it has under 100 hrs, original owner boat,  with the issues mentioned, and value in low 80's as it is, before i have things fixed and  based upon a good survey?
  • Options
    What issues? You don’t know if you have any yet.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    your right, not sure of issues until surveyed. Just know Genny not working, has some cracks on dash, sagging headliner in a few spots, and have to live with underpower, although i will put on 4 x4 props. I appreciate everyone's feedback, you have alot of knowledge on Rinkers. Thank You. 
  • Options
    Cosmetic cracks are common. The headliners all sag. I wouldn’t sweat those issues. The genny is a bit concerning. 10 hours is extremely low and they are finicky even when run often. Might be worth having a mechanic look at it. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you go to start the genny does it turn over at all? Or just chug but never turn over? 12 hours on an 07 is way too low. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    When you go to start the genny does it turn over at all? Or just chug but never turn over? 12 hours on an 07 is way too low. 
    I completely agree.  Under 100 hours on boat is extremely low and to me, I prefer higher hours.  An underused boat is sometimes worse than a neglected but used boat.  Curious what the surveyor says.  Just make sure you are happy with the boat.  There are plenty of other good boats out there.  I used to own a '02 310 and that was by far one of the best boats I've ever owned.  I don't think I'd jump from that only up a few feet, but that separate shower in a 350 is nice along with an island berth.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Mylo said:
    yes, he said it ran earlier this year but i went to start it and it sounds like solenoid bad or starter? won't engage it only has 12 hrs on it
    @Liberty44140
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Will let you know vwhat surveyor says, YYZRC you said you cruise at 4200 rpm, how long do you do that? As you mentioned you would think this boat with 350 motors and Hill props would cruise at 26mph at about 3800 rpm, Is it O.K. to cruise at 3800 RPM for a few hours? I run 25mph now in my 310 at 3400 rpm and it seems fine, i am hoping i can cruise at that same speed in this boat and stay on plane and run between 3600 - 3700 RPM, I wanted to take some trips in this boat? What do you think?
  • Options
    My trips are about 1 hour on plane each direction almost every weekend. If I’m in a hurry (having fun or trying to outrun bad weather) I will run 4500-4600 and not give it a second thought. 

These are tried and true GM engines. I maintain my engines to a high standard and don’t worry about them otherwise. I am much more concerned about a drive failing. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    My 342 will cruise at 30mph at 3800.  As a general rule I don't believe it is encouraged to cruise for a long time without changing speeds.  I don't really ever go more than an hr at a shot.  I don't think of it as a rule more of a suggestion.  I have done more but generally try not to.  One item to consider is that it isn't just about the motor.  You need to consider the outdrives.  Some folks add coolers to the outdrives to keep water spraying over them.  Going too hard for too long can show up in the oil and gears there vs the engine.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Will the boat will stay on plane o.k. at  25-26 mph?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @aero3113, I see. Was wondering if it was an electrical issue where you press start, it turns over, but as soon as you release the start button it dies. If the generator wont start at all I would do a $5k - $8k escrow and be sure the PO has it fully running for you. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @Mylo yes.  25-26 mph is my typical cruising speed.  No trim tabs needed.  

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    O.K. Will do Thank You guys for all your comments,  Will let you know what surveyor says.
  • Options
    Update @Mylo ?!