Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says “up to 10%” in what you posted. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    It was a proposal, that as far as I know, has not been passed yet but has been put out on the internet by certain critics of the current government as a fait accompli. But make no mistake. The weasels in power definitely want to pass it.
    Correct. It is in proposal stage. But, suppliers have already flipped the switch.
    Last of the hold outs I knew of for non-ethanol were Shell V-Power & Can Tire premium. I specifically asked at each place & the suppliers had already switched over.

The Shell fella was a gas station owner & he said he hates the E10 stuff. It plugs his big intake filters for the pumps. He has to change the filters monthly.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot confirm, but found this link that suggests Ontario is trying to opt out? Can't find confirmation one way or the other anywhere.
    https://noto.ca/win-ministry-not-moving-forward-with-15-20-increase-ethanol-content-in-fuels-in-2022/#:~:text=Ethanol blending will remain restricted,fuels (91) in Ontario.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw that article too.
    Pretty sure that talks not increasing & going beyond the 10% for 2022.

Didnt mean to beat this topic to death.

But, I hate the fact that the choice to purchase non-ethanol has been removed.

We are forced to use a product that makes motors run hotter than designed, stores horribly, gums up lines/carbs/tanks. Worse gas mileage & negligible green energy gains with the inputs req'd to produce ethanol.

rant over.....
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    My personal experience does not align with the negative hype surrounding E-10.  In the 12+ years since E-10 was introduced in Virginia marinas, that's all my boats have known.  I've noticed no ill effects.  

Not that you guys have a choice, but in a year or two, I bet you'll have forgotten this discussion. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    LaRea said:
    My personal experience does not align with the negative hype surrounding E-10.  In the 12+ years since E-10 was introduced in Virginia marinas, that's all my boats have known.  I've noticed no ill effects.  

Not that you guys have a choice, but in a year or two, I bet you'll have forgotten this discussion. 
    Not sure I’d completely agree.  I went thru two sets of cool fuel pumps (total of 4) at around $1k each.  Supposedly they are made better know.  It will also clean those tanks, which maybe is ok, but the older the boat, the more”stuff” that will break loose in time.  Definitely less economical as well.  I now have a local place where I get ethanol free for my boat. It does burn more efficient, but I knowl @LaRea is a numbers guy so he won’t be happy with what I said.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    @Dream_Inn -- All I'm saying is that I personally have no negative experience with E-10.  And it's a moot point because E-0 isn't sold in any marina within 80 miles of me. 

When E-10 was introduced here, the media coverage (like in Canada now) insisted it would destroy boating as we know it.  So far, after a decade, that hasn't happened.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    @randy56

My recreational 'spark plug index' is quite high.
    Lots of lawn equip, snowblowers, snowmobiles, etc.

Ethanol destroys that stuff, gums up carbs, overheats, fuel lines/gaskets turn to goo.
    My buddies snowblower fuel lines literally turned to jelly.

Well, I guess the government fixed total reliance on the oil industry, but completely forgot how much more stuff is going to end up in the garbage dumps.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    @YYZRC If you are still seeing "no ethanol" stickers...they need to be re-labelled.

Clean Fuel Standard Regulations for Nov 1st 2022

Effective November 1, 2022, all grades of gasoline will contain up to 10% ethanol*.  This change is not our decision, but a response from our fuel suppliers and the rest of the industry to comply with the Government of Canada’s Clean Fuel Standard regulations. 

For most people this is a non issue.
    For us boaters/recreational equip - it is a big issue. Also the fact that the gov't is mandating incremental increases in ethanol content moving fwd. 

All fuels including the fancy premium fuels have a minimum 10% ethanol. Everywhere. No exceptions.
    I have an ethanol detector on my car (track car) ... I fill with 94 ... it's always got 10% E in it. Has been for the past 2.5 years since I started measuring it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"