2023 A year of change

124»

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations have a trouble free and save trip 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. Did my first solo cruise, 3 hours, yesterday. Had to move the car and boat back to our home port. So different to the Rinker, very relaxing at 8.5 kts burned 10.5 gallons of fuel. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a math major. Did I do my math correctly - you went almost 30 miles at 10 miles per hour and only used 10.5 gallons of fuel?! That's like 3 miles per gallon? Wow!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu silly question but in your 342 how long to go from Lefroy to Port Severn? Could you do it in a day in good weather (and on a weekday). 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @TonyG13 -- yes!  Efficiency comes from big wheels moving slowly.  When I have the patience to go 7 mph, I get 4 mpg (plus 1 gph for the generator).  But as soon as I go fast enough to make any sort of wake, like 10 mph, it drops by half.  
  • Options
    @YYZRC, yes no problem.  I would leave at 7am to be at lock 42 for opening time. The 342 could go under the railway bridge before the lock. The new boat will not clear so you can wait upto an hour for it to open.
    @TonyG13, at 1800 rpm, 8.5 knots, single engine Yanmar diesel 370hp, I burn 3.5 GPH. The Rinker at 3500RPM, 25 MPH, would burn for the same trip 30 gallons of gas.
  • Options
    Geez! When I get over 1.50 MPG I'm extremely happy. Maybe I need to get a diesel!  :)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    TonyG13 said:
    Geez! When I get over 1.50 MPG I'm extremely happy. Maybe I need to get a diesel!  :)

Maybe I can make you happy.  I am good when I do half that! :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The last few weeks have been stressful to say the least getting ready for the Great Loop. We had 4 weeks to outfit the boat and getting to know where all the systems are, changing names and numbers in various electronics, driving 1-1/4 hours each way with all our equipment, clothing food etc. One more drive tomorrow, a going away party and wind permitting leaving Sunday on our first leg of the Loop.
    I doubt I will post much, heading into areas with poor or no cell signal, but if you want to follow we are on Nebo Global App, free, under the name "Live de Life". Most loopers are on it but have transponders, annual fee, which tracks all the boat movements with a daily, weekly, monthly summary and sent out by email. Take care everyone and we hope to meet up with some of you on our travels.
  • Options
    @Grahamu did you look into Starlink? I just ordered it, $199 for the standard (not in motion) dish. There’s a simple hack to disable the positioning motors for boat use.
  • Options
    @YYZRC, no I haven't but will start to look at it on the move. What is the monthly fee for service? We are both retired so not sure if we need it. We both changed our cell phone plans, Telus and Bell, to US/Canada plan with 150 GB data for $10/mth more
  • Options
    It is $150/mo for service. I like that you can pause the service at any time, no contract. 
  • Options
    @Grahamu -  Wishing you Fair Winds and Following Seas! Hope to meet you when you hit my neck of the woods! I just sent you a friend request via NeboLink so I can follow your adventures.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWESOME trip your embarking on- prayers and good wishes for a pleasant trip!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Excellent!  The boat will look nice with that Looper flag up on the bow ... 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Good luck
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    God bless and safe travels. You’ve been a great asset to this group since you joined.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safe trip @Grahamu !⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Grahamu can we get an update on your progress? Maybe start a new thread??
  • Options
    @YYZRC, I will start a new thread but I am waiting for the end of the month so I can post some stats for the month of August. Made it to Killarney yesterday and moving on today to an anchorage and then Little Current where I hope to have a good signal and post.
  • Options
    I am now starting a new thread under Live de Life on the Great Loop. Thanks everyone for contributing and I am asking @raybo3 to close this thread.
This discussion has been closed.