Options

Engine Removal

tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm looking remove my engines for a rebuild and gone thru near Buffalo NY area. What was your procedure to remove them? Hoist, excavator boom truck ??? I have 39' 12'6" beam boat. Rinker 360 have to figure best way to remove engines 496s bravo 3s. The engine cover will remove and have pretty much full access. I can unhook all wiring remove drives just looking for creative ways to remove engines.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great write-up by @LaRea

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/11948/transom-assemblies-and-engine-room-makeover/p3

Forklift, boom truck, overhead crane indoors... or turn the boat upside-down?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an A frame and chain hoist to pick up the motors. Made out of I beams and stays set up in my parents yard, was originally designed to pull gas turbines off of flat bed trucks at a GE service shop.    

Before pulling the motor I pull the out drive with an engine cherry picker, alpha is a one man job.  The bravo really needs two without the lift. 

Make sure you have an alignment bar to check alignment before reinstalling the drives 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    With the boat in the water?  You'll need a mobile crane service.  Not some cheesy little cherry picker -- you need one that will lift 1500 pounds at a distance of 20 feet or more.  My mechanic uses this tree service for pulling engines.

No need to remove the engine room hatch.  Just tilt it back and rest it on a stack of timbers, then tie it securely to make sure a random wake can't move it.  

To make removal/reinstallation faster and safer, consider getting a load leveler like this one.  Just turn the crank to change the angle.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-4000lbs-Engine-Cherry-Leveler/dp/B01L8V9LP4

• Options
    I used a load leveler as @LaRea recommends above. Worked great and very inexpensive. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The load leveler works even better if you take the handle off, torque the two jam nuts together and use an impact driver to make the adjustment.
  • Options
    I used a 1500-pound leveler.  It did the job, but if I was buying again, I'd get a bigger one for those hefty 496 blocks.  
  • Options
    Oh, you're in Buffalo -- so of course the boat is out of the water.  How close can the crane get to the boat?  You'll want an experienced operator, as the job requires a fine touch with the controls.  

Do not establish eye contact with the steering pins in your transom assemblies.  :D   If you do, you might learn that they are leaking and corroded.  That's a terminal condition that you should fix while the engines are out, and it's not cheap.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I pulled my motor out of my 270....I did not have to remove the hatch...disconnected everything...took down to my local marina. They used the fork lift for the boats , put a chain on it and out she came. I had a uhaul trailer spotted there with an engine stand of sorts with wheels...took it home and rolled it off the trailer into my garage. My issue was a leaking transom asy but you get the point...175 bucks each way...with the batteries out the hatch still worked on shore power which I used an adaptor to plug into a 120 v plug in...went well.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    steering pins is a must replace 
  • Options
    It will be pretty straight forward to lift the engines out as you don’t have a hardtop. Have a couple people at the ready when lifting to ensure you don’t bump the opening to the engine bay. I didn’t need to remove my engine hatch, either.