Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I did blower hoses this year and fans two years ago.  Handy I'd be allowed to buy a trawler only if it looks like a Rinker and cruses at 30 knots.
    Plenty to choose from with those conditions 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Scraping and priming outdrives in October on a 60-degree day is wrong, unnatural, and wrong.  But I did it.

BTW, I just now learned that it's easier to paint the drives if you remove the rams first.  I have always painted around them, raising and lowering as needed.  No more.  

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Scraping and priming outdrives in October on a 60-degree day is wrong, unnatural, and wrong.  But I did it.

BTW, I just now learned that it's easier to paint the drives if you remove the rams first.  I have always painted around them, raising and lowering as needed.  No more.  

LaRea said:

look good
  • Options
    Tomorrow I'll spray them with black Trilux paint, and we'll get the boat winterized.  Then we're pulling the drives and engines this weekend.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I thought you were making them look like Volvos!  Kind of look nice grey!  Just think how nice it will be in the spring to just go!  I usually like to take the last bit of the fall to wax the boat, clean everything up, then in spring, remove cover and put lift down!  That's it!  You too can be in the water the first weekend of March! :smiley:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea looks good. I never thought of removing the rams either. I might do that in the spring. I like the trilux paint for my drive. Much less corrosion the last few years using it. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great time to replace your ram bushings!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    The transom assemblies come with new rams, so these rams are likely going on eBay unless somebody here needs them.  
  • Options
    Engines are still in ... the yard's hoist is broken.  However: 

In the engine room, I noticed a little rust spot on the fire extinguisher bottle, and made the mistake of poking it with a screwdriver.  The paint flaked right off, and then I noticed a bunch more flaking paint.   So I had to take it home and paint it.  

If I hadn't poked that one little rust spot, I could have continued in ignorant bliss for many years.  But NOOOOOOOOOO!  (BTW a new bottle costs $1000, so hello Rustoleum.)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is also bubbling.  What prep are you doing pre-paint?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use POR paint. I hear good things!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I decided to just use Rustoleum primer and gloss red for the bottle.  I have a POR kit coming this week.  Never used it before, so I'm going to try it on a couple things.

This project is going to be a long string of "while I'm at it" mini-projects.  As one small example, the fuel fill fittings on both sides need to be re-bedded because they are leaking rain water into the engine room.  

Mostly, I want to re-wire the entire space to proper yacht standards.  This photo of spaghetti wiring/tubing/hoses will serve as my motivation.   

• Options
    That looks very messy, is this factory? I'm sure rust-oleum will work just fine as that bottle isn't exposed to much environmental problems. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have some spots bubbling on my bottle also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It's factory wiring plus 13 years of owner add-ons.  I might have pulled down a couple wires to exaggerate the visual.  Rinker built a great formula to successfully compete on price, but neat wiring was not part of the equation.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I guess those extinguishers need to be re-tagged every 5 years. Maybe just send it to be filled & tested 1st especially since you have it removed. Sandblasted & painted? Mines due for a new tag as well.

When I was a university student I worked a couple summers at Suncor Refinery up this way. One of my jobs was to collect/replace all the outside extinguishers in the plant. Send them out for testing/sandblast recharge & repaint if necessary.

Edit: Assuming that extinguisher would be part of a fireboy system?
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattie said:
    ... Assuming that extinguisher would be part of a fireboy system?
    Correct, the automatic system in the engine room.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    Let us know if you find a place that will do that.  I was looking last year.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you may have remembered mine rusted out and dumped the charge but I still had a green light on the dash because Rinker wired the circuit wrong. 
  • Options
    I don't know the original weight, but judging from how the liquid sloshes around inside, it feels darn near full of liquid.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What tank monitoring system are you using? I am interested in adding one to my fresh and black water tanks.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Might I suggest Garnet Seelevel 😁. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    It's a Touchsensor SensaTank II.  No moving parts ... it uses three sensors stuck to the outside of the tank.  In the photo above, you can see them on the water tank.  Never had any real complaints about it.  Might be nice to have readings other than empty, 1/3, 2/3 and full, but if I want an accurate answer, I can just open the engine room and look.  
  • Options
    Engines are out.  Next step:  install lighting in the engine room so I can see what I'm doing for the rest of the project.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Too bad they had to block you under that tree🙄.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah, it's nice being close to power, water and toilets, but the leaves are harshing my mellow.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set up! Man you are wasting no time!!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the guy that comes Saturday for me has a nice crane like your guy. I'm right by a tree too so I put a trap over the boat yesterday. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Yeah, that's quite a rig.  My mechanic has a business relationship with that tree service, and they pull engines for him a lot.  (The yard's travel lift has a crane, but it's broken right now.)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ripped the drian plug out of the oil pan that sucked but all other went well.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct