Options

Water Heater Replacement 2003 270

JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
Never can have a problem free year I guess... I finally got around to flushing out my fresh water tank yesterday and I found that I didn't have any water pressure at the taps.  Thinking it was my water pump, I looked into my engine compartment and heard water running.  Looking to the port side, I saw a bunch of pink water pouring from the bottom of my water heater. 

Oh well, it was acting up last year.  I can think of worse problems to have. 

Anyone know of any good deals on a replacement before I start digging?
"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270

Comments

• Options
    I ended up buying the Kumma 11811 from Hodges Marine in Oldsmar, FL

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/kuu11811-kuuma-6-gallon-water-heater-120v-front-heat-ex.html

It was the best price I found at $326.40
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    My Kuuma 11811 is leaking at the engine loop fitting. Wrote in a week ago and still no response from Camco. Probably a unique problem but when you get it I suggest you check to make sure the fittings are tight. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    As a drop-in replacement without changing any plumbing, I think Kuuma is the best option for most older Rinkers.  
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    The other benefit of Kuuma is that their instruction manual explicitly says you can just drain the tank to winterize. I now bypass and drain my tank each fall so the hot water lines are winterized, but the antifreeze stays out of the tank. A lot of people have issues with antifreeze being very hard to flush out in the spring and also causing a smell if left in the tank. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I have always used bypass with my water heater and never put any pink in my water tank either.  Makes it easier to flush in the spring 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just installed the same model in my boat, different manufacturer.  First boat water heater install I've done and it was simple.  

My only gripe,  which you gasser guys can't do but us diesel guys can get away, with is the wiring.  My battery chargers use outdoor rated plugs and outlets.  I really wish I had done the same for the water heater.  This way when it's empty for the winter I don't accidentally hit the breaker and burn it up as I could unplug it while I'm under the hatch.  As of now I have it hard wired inside the junction box by way of factory set up.  Come winter I may replace it with a 110 outlet cover.  

• Options
    Thanks guys, I plan to put a bypass kit on this one.  I never got around to putting one on the original tank and it was always a pain to winterize and dewinterize.  Going to install some time this week.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JonnyM said:
    Thanks guys, I plan to put a bypass kit on this one.  I never got around to putting one on the original tank and it was always a pain to winterize and dewinterize.  Going to install some time this week.
    I used a white piece of pex on the bypass. It turns pinkish with the pink antifreeze in it. I used flair it fittings for the bypass. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Update:  I got the new heater in.  I pulled the old one and found 3 of the 4 bolts pulled out of the heating element.  I guess I forgot to fully winterize.  I am now wondering if I could of fixed it.  Oh well, now I have piece of mind.  The new one works great.

The new heater was about a 1/2 inch wider than the old one.  I had to remove one of my water tank brackets to slide the new one in. 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the fittings welded on my heater and they still leak as there’s a flaw in the weld (visible at the top of the fitting). Moving on and upsizing to the 11 gallon. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Nice upgrade! @YYZRC