Options

Rinker Fiesta Vee 360

So lots of rain yesterday and left boat uncovered, I was at work all day Bimini was up no cover.
Rain water all in my front port seat. It looks all sealed. anyone know was the access cover is for?
Water leaked thru it and found its way to the rear salon rug. I will check it out when I get a chance and see if I can seal it better. Also I need to store my gear in some type of sealed bins. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Total guess but is it to access/remove the fuel sender?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open it up and see what's in there.   I found an old bon Jovi tape lost in the hull of one of my boats.  You might get lucky and find a steely Dan album. 

I've had better luck installing drains or putting a switched pump with sponge pickups in small areas that catch rain water than I have making the lids water proof.  

It's amazing how dry you can keep a bilge with a 30 dollar Amazon 12v pump,  50 ft of cheap vinyl hose and a pack of dollar tree sponges.   You'll need zip ties to keep the sponges on the tip on the vinyl hose.   The sponges only last a couple seasons before they start to break down.  A regular bilge pump will leave nearly half an inch of water.   The sponge absorbs nearly everything.  Beats the heck out of getting out the shop vac every time I drain my 60 and 80 qt Cabela's coolers.   
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭

What pump are you suggesting it would have to be self priming and able to pull up like 6' of head?

Open it up and see what's in there.   I found an old bon Jovi tape lost in the hull of one of my boats.  You might get lucky and find a steely Dan album. 

I've had better luck installing drains or putting a switched pump with sponge pickups in small areas that catch rain water than I have making the lids water proof.  

It's amazing how dry you can keep a bilge with a 30 dollar Amazon 12v pump,  50 ft of cheap vinyl hose and a pack of dollar tree sponges.   You'll need zip ties to keep the sponges on the tip on the vinyl hose.   The sponges only last a couple seasons before they start to break down.  A regular bilge pump will leave nearly half an inch of water.   The sponge absorbs nearly everything.  Beats the heck out of getting out the shop vac every time I drain my 60 and 80 qt Cabela's coolers.   

• Options
    I use a cheap $20 diaphragm pump on a timer in my bilge.  Should work for you, too.

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/175822#Comment_175822
  • Options
    edited July 2023

If I slip stored my boat the timer pump would be best but I really only use mine after I drain my coolers (one 80 and one 60qt), wash the boat or after the rare hard rain while we are in the water.  I'm under a tarp in the drive way the rest of the time.    

I have this pump draining into my shower bilge box where I don't mind having a half inch of water all the time.   
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Don't do what my po did- he drilled holes in the dry storage so it would drain. With no where to go but down it ruined the ceiling wood in the mid ship sleeping area and I'm pretty sure also ran thru to the generator and rusted out the frame of that. I chased that leak since I've owned the boat. Dumb ****.
     That's going to be a project to figure out..
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    My 370 didn't have that access cover.  I could reach the fuel tank and sender by (1) not being a big-and-tall person, and (2) crawling my entire body into that space, and (3) poking my head up over the outboard edge of the tub.  

Seal that access cover.  Everything under that tub is stuff that hates getting wet.  
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Thanks for everyone's comments I will pull it take some pics and seal it up.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    My 370 didn't have that access cover.  I could reach the fuel tank and sender by (1) not being a big-and-tall person, and (2) crawling my entire body into that space, and (3) poking my head up over the outboard edge of the tub.  

Seal that access cover.  Everything under that tub is stuff that hates getting wet.  
    In this pic, it actually looks like the rib adjacent to the access cover is molded to allow for the access cover.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Just don't seal it with anything permanent just in case you ever need to access it.  Something like liquid pipe sealer should be sufficient.  The mounting screws/ring should probably be removed and cleaned then reinstalled with 4200 so you can sleep better at night 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    You could also consider installing a flush mount drain fitting at the lowest point, with a  drain hose leading to the bilge.  Like this:

https://defender.com/en_us/forespar-cf254-marelon-flush-head-deck-drain-906038

• Options
    ^^^ This!

You could plumb it into your shower sump if you want to get really fancy!