Options

Jump starter pack recommendations

johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
Can anyone recommend a jump starter pack to buy. Specifically need it for opening and lowing the hatch over winter.
2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're just opening/closing a hatch the little cheap ones work well.   We get maybe a year out of the cheap ones on eBay/Amazon to jump start lawn mowers.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    You can’t close the hatch with the jumper terminals at the panel! Only open. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC - you cannot close? 
    Okay...what are my options to close when I unhook the batteries?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    You have to hook up to the shore power inlet. Battery charger powers the circuit. I use an extension cord and 15 to 30 amp converter cable. 

I leave my batteries in the boat and connected all winter with no issues. I just turn all the switches off. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Oh boy, I have a feeling this topic may open up a Pandora’s box that will be hard to close lol 

So I just unhook them (I don’t take them out). Some marina’s like mine require it. Some online people say you should bring them home and keep them warm. (I don’t). I’ve never had any issues leaving them on the boat in the winter unhooked.

@YYZRC do you keep a charge on them in the winter?
  • Options
    No I don’t trickle charge them. I just turn all the batteries off at the switch and charge them up in the spring a day or two before launch. 

I’ve never had an issue with the batteries losing much charge over the winter. Good deep cycle batteries will be fine. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Probably easiest to buy a portable power station - not sure how many amps the hatch motor draws when opening but you will need one with some good wattage. 

Just leave your 15a to 30a converter cable plugged in with a short extension cord on it so you can hook up your power station. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    On our 270 I can raise or lower the hatch with my jumper box by reversing the connection. I just replaced mine- and put up a post- 
    https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/14059/battery-box#latest

Look this over before you purchase as mine would not work on the hatch with the jumpers provided ,- luckily I had my clamps/cable from my old one that worked.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could also always both raise and lower my 270 hatch with a jump start pack, as stated by @rasbury. Maybe wired different? Also allowed me to remove my batteries in winter and still get in and out of the engine bay.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)