Options

Bottom Paint Recommendations - Great Lakes

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
As much as it kills me, I have to bottom paint the boat this fall. The early start to the season and the warming waters have led to insane algae growth, hindering performance.

@kordo what did you end up doing? @SimcoeRinker400 and @Liberty44140 what are you running?

I refuse to sand or media blast my hull so I need a paint that works with only a light scuffing prior to application.
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you have on now? That will determine what you can put over it.

Lots of compatibility charts are out there to help decide which would be best for your boat - and the ease of applying.

Probably the most popular down by us is Micron CSC. I usually get 3 (6-month) seasons after a two light coat application. I just do a light scuff with a 3M pad and apply. Works for me.
  • Options
    I have no bottom paint currently. Blank canvas. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    If you've never had bottom paint then it's not as simple as just a quick scuff and apply.

The first time needs to be carefully prepped and applied otherwise you can open up a whole can of worms - and any subsequent applications will be a waste of money. Just like painting your house the results are all in the preparation.

Here is a sample application instruction for Micron CSC first time painting of bare fiberglass:

###
    It is very important that bare fiberglass be properly prepared to prevent delamination of the antifouling paint. Begin by scrubbing the surface thoroughly with a stiff brush using soap and water to remove loose dirt and contamination. Flush with fresh water to remove the soap residue and allow to dry. Remove mold release wax using Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 following the product label instructions. Fill any surface imperfections with Interlux Watertite following the label instructions. After the surface has been properly cleaned, sand entire surface well with 80 grade (grit) paper until flat matte finish is obtained. Remove sanding residue. Apply at least two coats of Micron CSC allowing appropriate drying times.
    ###

Once you have a proper base applied that's when it's easy every year or so to recoat and stay protected for the life of the boat.

If you don't feel up to this big of a project, I would recommend you get a professional to do a proper initial prep and application - and then you can do future touch-ups yourself.

That's what I've done on both our boats. Had the pros do the hard stuff for the first time, now I just recoat as needed.

• Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC
    My boat was a blank canvas it had to be sanded then we put Interlux products That is my preferred bottom coat system for Lake Simcoe works great easy to clean in the fall quick power wash. So I put InterProtect 2000E then the Bottom coat.  You could also do VC17 it's all preference. I think after Spring 2021 its shinier now than the older Bottom Coat I used. 

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    I use white pettit Vivid antifouling bottom paint. It is being great.

• Options
    Thanks @SimcoeRinker400 ! I am also contemplating the 2000E. I would really like a grey bottom paint and leaning toward Micron CSC in shark white. 

• Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC
    2000e just seals the hull up and is a good primer.  The no-sand method sounds good but I have been around boats since being little and I was also taught the sanding method and have never had an issue with the bottom coat coming off.  That link was a good read though I would do that on a smaller boat.  If it peels on our bigger boats it could be a PITA to fix.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the big alternative to hull painting here.  We get algae nearly every summer.  Because of steady rainfall our lake is not at record high temps,  we've had some years it's so hot that the algae makes the tap water undrinkable.    

I've not seen if these are allowed at the marinas but these are popping up all over private docks.

There's another style all the wake boarders with inboards use.  Can't paint a wakeboard boat hull because that keeps the fish from hearing your crappy country bro rap played at full blast despite no one else wanting to hear it at any audible level. 
  • Options
    I will definitely try no sand. Worst case I have to have it blasted at the end of next season. 

Interlux publishes the method to apply without sanding. They recommend a coat of 2000E or their no sand primer. 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    I’ve been very happy with petit hydro coat. It seems to last 5 seasons and stuff falls off when i plane. Being water based it’s easy to work with, admiral helped me put the last coat on two seasons ago and was all suited up with tyvek and respirator and admitted it was fine and she didn’t need the respirator. Easy to clean up. 
    Post edited by Liberty44140 on
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Agree on the 2000e, I’ve done a couple of bottoms that had nothing on them and did 2-3 coats of 2000e before paint. Yes as long as you re coat within their prescribed amount of hours so that it doesn’t fully cure, no sanding between coats. Nice you can buy white and gray so that it’s very easy to see where you need to re coat…. Like purple ceiling paint! 

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - Did you go with the Pettit Hydrocoat regular version or the ECO version? I have been looking at the ECO version since it's also water based it will go over my Micron CSC with little prep.
  • Options
    I’ve always used regular. $200 a gallon, I didn’t see the need to pay for the upgrades, but I’m sure they are nice. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    A decade ago here in the fresh water upper Potomac, we were getting 2-4 years from a good coat of bottom paint (CSC being the best).  With today's paints, we're lucky to get 4 months.  I gave up on CSC and started using cheaper stuff to get the same performance.  
  • Options
    Is there an alternative to ablative that inhibits algae? I’m not concerned with barnacles or zebra mussels. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boat came from the dealer with MicronCSC. The previous owner started using hydrocoat. It seemed to build up a lot through multiple coats. I sanded it off and reapplied the MicronCSC and have been happy with its performance. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    YYZRC, I bought my 2011 360 in 2017.  It didn't have any bottom paint on it and I have been getting by with bottom wax applied each year in the spring, cost about $400 for wax and labor.  One year I had very bad zebra mussels and another I had a diver clean the bottom mid season.  The other years it was just the usual growth/slime.  In the latter part of the season, I have trouble getting on plane or cannot at all.  So far, it hasn't been a problem since I just putter around at 7 or 8 mph for a month or two.  I'll be watching what you do and then make a decision as to what to do in the future.  Thanks.    
  • Options
    Which motors do you have @kordo ?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Interlux Interprotect as a barrier, then put micron csc on top of that.  It worked a charm. As others said, the micron csc lasted a long time, we only need to touch up here and there at the start of each season, but it was as easy as wiping the area clean, drying, and applying with a brush.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    YYZRC I have 6.2L Mercruisers.
  • Options
    @kordo I am going to go with Aquagard Shark White bottom paint. Mainly because I really want a light colored paint and the Interlux Micron CSC Shark White that I was going to go with is discontinued.
  • Options
    You can avoid algae and zebra mussels if you have twin 6.2 motors and a fuel perks credit card.   Never stop moving. 
  • Options
    I've tried. No dice. Need the 8.1s.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The 8.1 motors are the reason middle eastern oil families drive 2 million dollar cars and have pet falcons.  
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Thats funny
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    memorymakermemorymaker Member Posts: 31
    YYZRC said:
    As much as it kills me, I have to bottom paint the boat this fall. The early start to the season and the warming waters have led to insane algae growth, hindering performance.

@kordo what did you end up doing? @SimcoeRinker400 and @Liberty44140 what are you running?

I refuse to sand or media blast my hull so I need a paint that works with only a light scuffing prior to application.

There is a post somewhere here about Randy Rinker saying bottom paint is not necessary

• Options
    It has been said that epoxy coating is not necessary to avoid osmosis. Bottom paint is situational.
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I used shark white on my last boat.  It looked pretty decent but it would look dirty along the water line later in the season where the black I have on this boat hides the dirt / grime.  That said, if I hand to start from scratch I’m sure I’d pick the shark white again.
    2006 342FV - Ontario