Options

If not a spun hub, then what?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Not sure I see the point of pulling the engine. It's a very time intensive job. It sounds as though you haven't yet investigated the simple/common maintenance items.

I would replace the cap/rotor/plugs/wires as a first step. Couple of hours of relatively easy work not terribly costly in boat terms at about 500 quid.

I wouldn't worry about the skeg, it is not an urgent repair by any stretch. At only 8mph you aren't going fast enough to derive any benefit from it!
    I can definitely do all that myself 😁
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet when you pop the cap off you will find it is very badly corroded. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    captkevin said:
    What size/weight is your boat? 5.0 mpi is not alot of power for a cruiser. With a heavy load not surprising it would struggle to get on plane. What pitch are the props? Might be time for Hill 4x4 upgrade.
    It's an FV 250. Length is 27.23ft and beam is 8.5ft. Weight is 2.8 tonnes.
    I'd like to get the Hill 4x4. Not sure I can get it over here but I'll do some googling.
    Where is "here"?

2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Yep UK. I live on a very small island just off the south coast of England called Isle of Wight. Loads of boaters here.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Lots of diesel motors.   If they tell you it's time for a rebuild upgrade to a 5.7 or a 383.   the 5.0 should have never been installed in a boat...or vehicle for that matter.   

Make about a much sense as the V8 Bosch or gems engine in a rover instead of a diesel