Options

If not a spun hub, then what?

So, as you know, I'm still learning about all this boat stuff. I haven't picked your brains for a while but I definitely need some advice now.
I have high revs but low speed. Researching this ,I figured it's a spun hub. OK, cheap enough and easy to replace. 
But now I've read that the Bravo 3 has no hub, so what is damaged? I can see this being expensive 😳

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully it's your shift cable isn't fully engaged but it could be time for a tear down as the clutch cone is worn/slipping 
  • Options
    SEI now has bravo 3 upper and lowers, not sure of their quality.  The alpha they offer has good reviews....for an alpha.   The pricing is good vs Merc. Might be worth looking at if you determine it's an internal issue and not a shift cable issue 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be your engine coupler.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ouch if it's a coupler.  I am pretty sure I can see the rubber bushing on mine by sticking a cell cellphone back there but on a V8 that's going to be hard.  And if the splines themselves are gone you'll have to pull the drive to inspect. 

• Options
    If you can reach, put a paint stripe on the housing and rubber part of the coupling. Run the engine and put it in gear then back to neutral then shut off. Check if the paint mark is still aligned.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What pitch are the props?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yea, I guess we should’ve asked what revs and speed you’re getting…?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Knowing exactly what you are getting for low speed / high revs would be helpful
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    They wanna know if your hull below the water line looks like a chia pet or has more barnacle than the flying Dutchman 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coupler is not to terrifying ..out drive off and motor pulled forward but probably not out..
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    The revs go up to 3.5 and the max speed is 8mph 
  • Options
    I'm having the engine pulled out in the new year. Hopefully that will make it easier to fix.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    What pitch are the props?
  • Options
    They wanna know if your hull below the water line looks like a chia pet or has more barnacle than the flying Dutchman 
    The hull has been cleaned up. It made no difference. 
  • Options
    SEI now has bravo 3 upper and lowers, not sure of their quality.  The alpha they offer has good reviews....for an alpha.   The pricing is good vs Merc. Might be worth looking at if you determine it's an internal issue and not a shift cable issue 
    I'm on the Isle of Wight UK. I hope I can get a good price here.
  • Options
    How old are the plugs/wires/cap/rotor?
  • Options
    3500 isn't high revs, I'm not sure what V8 you have but 4500 to 5500 would be in your WOT range. 

3500 means you're not getting enough rpms or power.

As @YYZRC mentioned you could just need a good tune up. 

Before pulling the engine get it to normal running temperature and pull all the plugs to do a compression test.   

Keep the plugs labeled as to which cylinder each one came out off for a visual inspection,  plug color tells a lot about an engines running condition.

• Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The hull has been cleaned up. It made no difference. 
    What do the props look like?  It doesn't take much for cavitation to kick in and you'll go nowhere fast.
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    He’s only hitting 3500 rpm. If the props were cavitating he would be at redline. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    How old are the plugs/wires/cap/rotor?
    No idea. I bought the boat in January 23. Used it 3 times and then lost performance. I got a mechanic to look at it and he found a shed load of things wrong, including a sticking starter motor, leaking transom shield (looks like steering pivot seals), exhaust risers leaking externally, rusty pulleys, bilge pump breaker keeps popping, lots of rust.
    With all that in mind, he wants to pull the engine out to see if there's anything else that he can't see, 
    All in all its turned out to be a money pit but I'd rather get it all fixed up than get rid of it.
    A part of the skeg is broken off too but that was done after I bought it. I don't recall hitting any rocks or anything but it's a weld job.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

Before the skeg break.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Not sure I see the point of pulling the engine. It's a very time intensive job. It sounds as though you haven't yet investigated the simple/common maintenance items.

I would replace the cap/rotor/plugs/wires as a first step. Couple of hours of relatively easy work not terribly costly in boat terms at about 500 quid.

I wouldn't worry about the skeg, it is not an urgent repair by any stretch. At only 8mph you aren't going fast enough to derive any benefit from it!
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    What size/weight is your boat? 5.0 mpi is not alot of power for a cruiser. With a heavy load not surprising it would struggle to get on plane. What pitch are the props? Might be time for Hill 4x4 upgrade.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options

Based on this pic, I would drill a 1/2" or larger hole in the inside transom as low down as you can and just through the inside layer of fiberglass/gelcoat into the plywood. Those rust stains on the starboard side are interesting.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    YYZRC said:

Based on this pic, I would drill a 1/2" or larger hole in the inside transom as low down as you can and just through the inside layer of fiberglass/gelcoat into the plywood. Those rust stains on the starboard side are interesting.
    Hah -- I thought you were going to say drill it all the way through!  But yes it does look like the transom is probably full of water.  

(BTW the blower needs another section of 4" duct that extends down into the bilge.  You want the blower pulling air from the lowest point, which is where gas fumes would end up.)  
  • Options
    YYZRC said:

No idea what those vertical rust stains are. Very random.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    YYZRC said:

Hah -- I thought you were going to say drill it all the way through!  But yes it does look like the transom is probably full of water.  

(BTW the blower needs another section of 4" duct that extends down into the bilge.  You want the blower pulling air from the lowest point, which is where gas fumes would end up.)  
    I've bought the duct so I'll get that put on 🙂
  • Options
    captkevin said:
    What size/weight is your boat? 5.0 mpi is not alot of power for a cruiser. With a heavy load not surprising it would struggle to get on plane. What pitch are the props? Might be time for Hill 4x4 upgrade.
    It's an FV 250. Length is 27.23ft and beam is 8.5ft. Weight is 2.8 tonnes.
    I'd like to get the Hill 4x4. Not sure I can get it over here but I'll do some googling.