Atwood hot water heater

John41John41 Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
I have a 2004 342. My Atwood hot water heater is no longer making hot water. I believe it could be the heating element. The part number is 91580. I’ve tried to order the part but it’s not available. I did find one but it’s 1500 watts, my hot water heater says 1400 max. Does anyone have any knowledge on this or advice? Thanks 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    It's the original water heater from 2004?  You might be better off replacing it with a Kuuma which is a drop-in replacement.  
  • John41John41 Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    It is the original. Do you have a link to that hot water heater? I just spent 1500 dollars on a new galley refrigerator so I was hoping to fix it with a 25 dollar part. lol. 
    https://www.camcomarine.com/collections/water-heaters

It's a 6-gallon heater, but you need to figure out whether your heat exchanger is on the front or the side.  Mine on the 370 was front mount, model 11811.  Only $320 on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145688997340?chn=ps 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the kuumo.   Works great. 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upsized to 11 gallon for a small premium. No regrets! Something to consider if you use your shower regularly. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    I'm probably the only Bayliner owner who showers. 
    @PickleRick how can you prove it?
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to go out on a limb but I would say that @Aqua_Aura showers. 
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
    YYZRC said:
    I upsized to 11 gallon for a small premium. No regrets! Something to consider if you use your shower regularly. 

Did you run out of hot water with the 6 gallon?  Just curious, as we use our shower with a family of 4 and never run out of water.  This goes back even to our 310 that we had back to 2006.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 Oh we shower,we shower big time 🤣. Still haven't tried our bath tub yet. 

We actually used both showers last time since we had guest onboard. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Dream_Inn said:

Did you run out of hot water with the 6 gallon?  Just curious, as we use our shower with a family of 4 and never run out of water.  This goes back even to our 310 that we had back to 2006.
    Yes, in part because I’m not suffering through a shower where I turn the water off/on to conserve water and in part because I installed a proper shower head vs the bathroom faucet that came with my boat. 

Shower head is a Camco 43713 which probably runs 3GPM. I replaced my sump box with a Whale Gulper 220. 

@YYZRC "suffering" in a shower turning off the water to conserve hot water. 

Just sounds funny when we talk about suffering while be able to shower on our boats. 🤣. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura we are spoiled for sure. I could never have a boat without a shower stall now. I’m sure you have a longer list of “must haves” now, too!
    First world problems, for sure.

I had to replace my shower heads because they were both Euro-style torture devices that would drill pinholes in your skin if you stood too close, and would splash water everywhere.  
    My current life struggle is that it's not shiny so I need to polish it or buy a new one. In some cases I buy a new and then polish the old one instead 🤣. I bought a new flag holder but it didn't line up with the old holes so I decided to polish the old one like new and just reused it. 

I need to order the two vhf antenna mounts. They are currently plastic but I want the stainless ones. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
    @YYZRC I installed a new shower head this year that has all the fancy stuff I don't use.  But it only goes 1.8gpm.  Lately it has also just been the admiral and I, so we can use more without turning off as well.  It's only those 3 or 4 nights on the hook in a row that I need to watch a little.  But even when I'm on marina shore water I don't seem to run out of hot water.  All that said, my next boat will have a the larger water heater cause it will probably have two heads and we live on it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited June 25
    @YYZRC I can't, not without getting banned
  • Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Raritan 20 gallon hot water heater keeps up with 5 of us showering
    Rinker sold but still have other boats        Eastern LI, NY
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭
    Where we are the dock water is so warm I don’t use much heater water…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/