Water system pump

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our last outing the water pump quit cycling- this past weekend I had a limited time to look at it- me and electrical...so I got to the connector at the pump and probed the hot side while jabbing the ground and not seeing power- I stretched the ground to the generator ground too-i don't see and breakers popped- start at the switch? 

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Switch is a good place to start.  If the switch lights up when you turn it on then it will likely have 3 wires.  A ground, a hot and the one to the pump. 

Our switch crapped out mid weekend last season.   Perfect time to go bad when the mother in law was down with us

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @PickleRick - we have a weekend planned for the next but looks like a possible hurricane in the gulf yet this week....
    I made little jumper wire with two spade terminals to go between the POS and pump wire to get us through the weekend.   
    Well @PickleRick and friends- I pulled the boat home as my storage lot has a big ol tree and thought hurricane or near force winds on the way....I pulled the panel with the water pump and, oh my- not what I expected. I thought as Rick suggested a 3 wire set up, easy to test/jump and ta da- fixed. Look at all these wires for an off/on switch! I guess I could pull another switch connection and swap to test, but, really? It's an off on switch! Also thru in a pic of the new gauges/panel..there are like 6 wires for this pump switch? 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the first time I saw the back of my Rinker switches I was surprised as well. Some of the wiring is for the switch being lit which would be at least two wires. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited September 27
    I didn't realize your pressure switch was at the helm.  That makes it more fun as the switch is wired into your panel lights as well as going to your pump.    More wires means more fun right? 

Makes it a little more complicated.   

I'm lucky to have mine mounted in the galley behind the sink next to my cabin master light switches. 

Only two of those wires are for your pump.  The others are make it light up when you turn on your helmet lights.  

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue and black are for the switch lighting. The other two wires will be for power to the pump. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    I recalled last night I have an extra accessory rocker on the panel- it is a two way- just off/on- if it is the switch I should be able to swap them correct? All the wiring is very neat and tidy- forgot about the lighting- since there is not a diagram for the wiring, are there std colors for certain function of the switches? Sounds like from @YYZRC blue is hot and black is ground for lighting- there are two blue wires, is that then hot for the switch? Storm was a coming so I had to button up.
    Storm... what storm?  
    edited September 28
    So,  I unplugged my extra rocker no problem.  When I tried to unplug the water pressure rocker- it fell apart I'm my hand. Don't know for sure if it was bad but dang sure have to replace it. The harnesses are all gathered and zip tied neatly and the are to far apart to test- so I was going to move it- I had replaced all the switch covers some time back but I'll be danged if I can figure out how they come off- and what holds the switch in the panel?are they snap on and pry off from the side? I'd guess if I can get the cover off without breaking it I'll see some tabs to remove the switch? The panel is very fragile - I replaced the gauge dash panel when it was stolen but unable to find the rocker switches panel...
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Yes, I do remember having that tool,- not remembering what I did with it. A couple of jewler type screw drivers might work...thanks!
    The little screw drivers worked fine. The two switches have identical female spades so it plugged in no issue. The breaker however trips. It may have been doing that before...so, I will unplug the pump and hit it with 12v- but sounding like the pump. When I probed the wires at the pump I could jot get a reading- dumb question, would the pump have to be running to get a reading or should I be able to see 12 v if the pump motor is toast? Wish I could find a more quiet one..
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is power to the leads at the pump you'll get a reading regardless of whether or not the pump is toast.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
    I think the breaker kept tripping as I was trying to check with the power on. When I put 12v to it, it did not like that so shopping time. I replaced this when we first purchased, West Marine. Really have not used it that much so a little disapointed. When I got the rocker switch panel back together, the switch for the hatch now acts like a momentary switch for down- so, I'm using the post by the battery switch to get the hatch up- which maybe now a good security feature so tge batteries aren't stolen- might leave it that way!