Options

Winterize water system and manual pump toilet.

Hi gang, I apologize if its been asked here before but I couldn't find it. I understand how to get  the anitfreeze into the water lines I am just not sure how to get it into the hotwater tank. I am also wondering how to winterize manual pump toilet and holding tank.  I have a 2005 Rinker 250 EC (fiesta Vee)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anti freeze will pump into the hot water tank. You can just drain it too, but you need to make sure the lines from the engines get anti freeze in them.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    do mean the lines that run from the hotwater heater to the engine??
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

habit, is it the lines that go from the engine thru the water heater that you are asking about?  If so, you can get pink stuff thru them if you run your engine on muffs using the valve/5-gallon approach.  You can also disconnect them at the engine and drain, but not sure if all of it would properly drain out.

If you are talking about into the fresh water part of the heater, well there are several different things that people do.  The first is to drain it so you don't have 6 gallons of water that mix with the pink.  Then, some people just use an installed (after market) bypass and turn the switch that allows the rest of the system to pressurize without the tank, allowing the hot water lines to be winterized.  Leaving the heater empty. Others fill the water heater with pink (then you can get some back in the spring).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    thanks dream inn, It is the fresh water heater i wondering about. The bypass you are talking about does it have a valve to turn on it to bypass the water heater?
  • Options
    If I completely drain all water with the hot water taps open does this not drain the how water tank also? if I then fill the fresh water tank with about 6 gallons of anti freeze and run it till it comes through the hot and cold taps on all faucets does this not fill the hot water tank with anitfreeze and then no need to open hot water tank drain?
  • Options

First, yes the bypass has a valve that turns, thus bypassing it.  It is something that is added in-line with a valve and small hose skipping the heater.  To drain the water heater, there is typically a small knob to turn (that has a short hose attached).  Turn this knob and open the pressure relief valve (usually located on upper right corner - opposite of knob) to allow water to flow.  Do this after you completely empty all of your fresh water tank.  Then you can either add the pink directly to your fresh water tank, or in line right before the pump and close the valves on the hot water(with it drained) and turn on the faucets.  This will take probably 8 gallons or so.  I don't do mine this way, but this is probably the easiest, safest, but a bit more money.  I use a bypass valve, & also use an air compressor to blow the water out, then I run pink thru all but the water heater.

not to confuse you any more, but yes you need to drain the water tank first.  Otherwise you will get diluted pink stuff which can freeze.

• Options
    Ok, so if I understand right then I will drain water heater tank then close the drain valve and pressure relief valve on hot water tank and then fill entire system (including hot water tank, more expensive way) with anti-freeze.
    Thanks Dream Inn!
  • Options

Habit, yes that sounds about right.  First empty the entire fresh water tank (just opening hot and cold valves).

• Options
    Ok sounds good, thanks a lot!
  • Options
    Hey Dream inn, I just found this on youtube, its on winterizing a Rinker 320 water system. Does this look about right?
  • Options
    Rinkerbuoy62Rinkerbuoy62 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    That's a pretty solid tutorial in my opinion. God I love heated indoor storage... I do most of the winterizing process anyway, but I sleep all winter long with no worries.