Options

Power inlet bad?

Hi,

No shore power. Every time I connect the cord to the shore power inlet the main breaker trips. Any way for me to make sure it's the inlet that's bad before buying a new one? Thanks!
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you borrow someone else's chord?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    What I would do is make sure all your other breakers are off. This will isolate everything down to the main breaker. Then turn on one breaker at a time and see what is causing the main to trip. Also what boat do you own. Is there a hot water heater on it???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Everything is off. The main trips when I connect shore cord to it. Already tried another cord and main still trips.

2013 290ec
  • Options
    Ok need more ask more questions. When you say main do you mean the main on the boat or the shore power main? If it is the boat main and all the breakers are off then it could be a bad main breaker. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Main breaker on boat trips. It trips when the cord touches the inlet. Does even give me time to twist the cord to lock.
  • Options
    And all breakers are off on the boat? My guess its a bad breaker. Now when you say inlet I assume you mean the "male" connector on the outside of the boat. If that was bad it would arc as soon as you put the cord on it and the shore main would blow. My guess is that you have a bad breaker on the boat.
  • Options
    Raybo, thanks. That stinks. The dock breaker doesn't blow. Now I have to figure out how to change that main breaker...
  • Options
    Do you have a genny on your boat?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
     I am concerned that the breaker trips as soon as your (metal contact parts I assume) shore power cord touches your Its Shore Choice inlet of your Rinker. That sounds like a ground fault or reverse polarity problem to me and if so is quite dangerous. If unsure you should enlist help. Be careful! MT
  • Options
    I do have a generator and it works fine.

I also tries another pedestal and the breaker tripped too.
  • Options
    Btw, generator on and all breakers working. Would the gen blow the main breaker or is the main breaker only for shore power?
  • Options
    I could under stand the low voltage problem if some things were turned on and running. Low voltage would cause amps to go up. In this case everything is off and trips right away. 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a new problem or just since trying a new marina. Never turn on the pedestal breaker until the cord is connected on both ends. If all breakers are off and you get a fault while connecting the cord then it's a live ground wire at the pedestal. DANGER.

Id highly recommend you check with a marine mech. Theres very little room for error in this issue. Good luck. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Thanks Tiki. I tried it. Connect both sides of cord then turned on breaker on pedestal. Boat breaker then blows, not pedestal breaker.
  • Options
    Open your electric panel and dissconnect the "load" wires and plug the shore power cord in and see if the breaker trips. 
  • Options
    Raybo, that's a bit beyond me. I wouldn't know which is the load wire.
  • Options
    Clint Eastwood famously said " a mans got to know his limits". Better to live to boat another day. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Spoke to Marina and told them had a dangerous situation with a live ground wire on the pedestal. They said, "Yeah, we'll try to get someone there by Monday". :-/

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A live ground is really dangerous. Very bad.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I don't think it's a live ground. I plugged into neighbors pedestal and my breaker still blew.

I think it's got to be a bad inlet or bad main boat breaker.
  • Options
    So is this problem new? The load wires are just the output wires from the circuit breaker. Basically you are allowing power to the breaker then but not to your distribution panel. If it does not pop, you have a short in the panel somewhere. If you are not good with electrical work, be safe and call in an electrician. Good learning oportunity.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    If you own a 2013 boat, then this is a warranty issue. I would not start tampering. Call your dealer and get them to either send someone out to fix it or endorse a mechanic close to you.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Called dealer. They will make an appointment to send someone down to see what's wrong. Thanks
  • Options
    If it was a bad "inlet" the shore power breaker would trip. I am glad the dealer is going to take care of this for you. My bet it something in the panel is causing this or its a bad main. Good luck and keep us posted....
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's flipped the breakers off to every single channel, therefore eliminating current down those legs, and it still trips its just about got to be the breaker, no? If he can maintain closed breaker while he systematically closes each channel/leg, he'll have found the leg with the unintentional ground, no?

What voltage and amperage is the shore power? Is there anything onboard that has selectable voltage? Does the power invert/convert at a central location or each individual device (if its selectable at all, or if it converts/inverts at all)?
  • Options
    Can this be due to a bad battery charger or something wrong there?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Probably not a charger.  There is (or should be) a galvanic isolator in-line before the circuit breaker.  Then the 'shore power switch' (port / starboard inlet power).  Could be as simple as a cut wire shorting out from installation too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    OK Update.

Switch inlet plug and that's not it. I connected port shore power and everything works perfectly. Electrician believes it's a bad breaker and Rinker is sending me one on warranty. It's the shore power GFI breaker that is located after starboard on the inside gunwale. 

Thanks so much for everyone's input.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sure hope that fixes your issue and being under warrantee it makes perfect sense to step back and let Rinker cover it, especially for safetys sake. Use that warrantee, that's what its there for. =D>