Options

Rinker Response to issues

Looking for any feedback experience anyone has had dealing with Rinker's customer service

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Looking for any feedback experience anyone has had dealing with Rinker's customer service

I belong to Rinker Boat Owners forum and a lot of people have had great sucess with Rinker customer service I can't remember a negative

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    dallas22dallas22 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned 2 new rinker boats. Nothing but great experience. Would buy another when ready to move up from our 342.
  • Options
    nancyteachnancyteach Member Posts: 2
    My husband I and have had nothing but great experiences. We have even received messages from Randy Rinker even though our fixes were for very minor details! We love both of our Rinkers and the service we have received.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jeff: The Kohler 5e has issues, the old forum had lots of the problems discussed:

1. Replace spark plugs (no matter what they look like - it eats them)

2. Check the pig tail connection for the electric fuel pump - mine was poorly assembled/connected.  I did a hard splice and solved 99% of my issues

3. Bleed the coolant system, they can get bubbles and cause it to shut down from over heating

4. There was a service bulletin about replacing the exhaust over temp sensor (mind you I have a 2003)

I think regardless of the boat maker, you have 'issues' to deal with.  My slip mate with a $3MM 60' had issues for 2 years with his, some not minor.  I know from tinkering around mine I learned a ton and fixed/upgraded a lot of things to my preference too.

As Far as Rinker customer service, they were good to me, far, far better than the crummy dealer.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    BD, Thanks for the genset update. We've owned our Rinker for only a year and I have to say that it's been a great boat. The issues with a generator shouldn't taint the entire mfg. They buy components on the open market hoping the sales hype is legit. They can only be expected to go so far when it becomes a supplier warranty issue. IE: Volvo drive problems and Mercruiser too. I own a 2004 Kohler 5E-QS2 genset and it's been great so far but you can bet I'll be going over your list above. Is there a service manual posted somewhere that you can throw in a link to find?

I had some questions early on and Rinker responded right away so I'd say my experience has been good. The fact that they don't pull/censor a post where someone is slamming them on their own forum is commendable. I suppose if it turned into a wild eyed rant then even I'd agree with them taking it to the sideline for resolution.

Just sayin', Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I emailed a question to Rinker before buying my boat and Randy replied to and answered my question with in minutes. i call that great CS.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Options
    nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised when an email i sent to the main corporate address got routed to Randy - who then quickly emailed me directly and asked me to call him, where he then talked me through what might be going on.  And they were all Merc issues really - top notch customer support in my book.   And this was on a 98.  Not an 08.
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Thanks guys...and I'll read every item posted here and do everything I can to get you a quick answer. Randy Rinker and his team are always ready and willing to help. 
  • Options
    sunrnr33sunrnr33 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    My experience with Randy Rinker was anything but positive when I contacted customer service last fall about a bimini frame issue. I have a 00' 272 Captiva Millennium edition and when I went to replace all the enclosures and bimini last fall with factory canvas I found that in model year 2000 Rinker used 2 different bimini frames, one from Taylor and one from Ameritex which was a company that transitioned from Taylor Made. Canvas for the Taylor frame would have to be custom made as it's no longer available and all factory canvas is Ameritex, so the only option within reasonable expense was to buy a new frame from the factory and the canvas. Why would a manufacturer use two different frames just for one year and not use the better 4 bow frame from Ameritex for the "Millennium" package as it's the top model of that boat! All I was looking for was an answer as to why they would do that as it screwed the owner with Taylor canvas and also maybe some help with the purchase of the new frame. Randy could have cared less that they used two different frames or the problems it left an owner with. When asked why they would do that the answer given was "that's just the way it happened". The greatest resource of help came from Arnold's boats and TJ who went above and beyond, all new canvas and frame!!! I love my Rinker, I have no use for Randy Rinker!

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Running design changes are always made in the manufacturing world.  The boating industry is no different.  Since manufacturers are dealing with hundreds of suppliers, who knows what the issues were at the time.  Manufacturers that rely on suppliers for components are often held hostage (speaking from experience) and changes are frequently made which don't always work out for the customer.  BTW, a quick Google search shows that Ameritex is now merged with the fabric arm of Taylor.

Be thankful that your issue was solved by a guy like TJ.

Mark 

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594 mod

@sunrnr33, I'm hoping Rinker will learn from the issue & it is terrible it had to come at your cost!  Hopefully we can use this forum to see both the good and bad and help Rinker to continue to improve quaility and customer satisfaction.

I will say in general, I've never seen Ameritex canvas hold up very well. (maybe part of Taylor will be better)  That is something that can be improved upon a bit.  I've seen many Rinkers by the age of 2 years old change out their canvas (we probably have 100 rinkers in our marina).  I'm not very impressed with what is on my boat currently & a good reason I passed up on a deal from TJ, cause it is the same stuff.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    johnnydeeJohnjohnnydeeJohn Member Posts: 3
    I contacted Rinker 2 years ago about my '96 232 instrument panel.  It was falling apart, the ABS under the vinyl was full of cracks and gauges were falling out. From what I've seen and heard on other forums this was a problem with these years. Granted it's a '96 but all I got was "we don't have those anymore". I then found, through another forum a company called Indiana Marine that supposedly made the panels.  They told me that they no longer make them and they don't even have the mold any longer.  So I felt I was between a rock and a hard place. Everything else about the boat was  fine, I just couldn't keep the gauges in place.  I found someone on another forum that had the same boat and the same problem.  He fixed his and was instrumental in helping me fix mine. I can't thank him enough.
  • Options
    I'm well aware of what goes on in the "manufacturing world" and that really doesn't apply here. There aren't boats being produced in the thousands and the real reason it happened is because Taylor was getting out of canvas and turning it over to Ameritex which was owned by them! Boat manufacturer's buy most of their components in lots and you may not have a component in your boat that was made the actual model year of the boat ie; the Mercruiser that is in this boat was built in '98. Dream Inn, thanks, you got the point. As far as the quality of Ameritex, the canvas I got is made with more quality than the Taylor made OE was. Like anything......it's all in how it's taken care of!!!           However none of this changes the way it was responded too.....
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited April 2013
    I guess everyone has different experiences.   I remember calling Rinker customer service for a replacement seat cushion skin.   After I made the inquiry,  I totally forgot about it until one day  a UPS truck showed up with a package from Rinker.   Low and behold,  a replacement  skin.... gratis! 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had good experience with Rinker. Like any new boat there was a teething period (kind of still in it), but nothing so far has been an issue under warranty claims.  Everything seems to happen pretty quick.

My next tests is the formation of small gelcoat cracks around my bow cleat, that happened after a rough day. Waves caused tension on the cleat which caused spider cracks to show up about a 6 inch radius around the cleat. I got it fixed up by the dealer over the winter. They said gelcoat was too thick at that spot.  Hopefully Rinker will consider this claim.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Sunrnr33...hope you'll give us a chance to make up for your previous experience. We want everyone to be happy with their boat AND their customer service. 
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Hmmm...did a post get pulled out of this thread?
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Hmmm...did a post get pulled out of this thread?

I see no post missing

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Thanks Capt. Steve, I don't think there's much chance for change, the issue was how the individual responded and that's all done! The support from the owners and forum are great and we love our boat. There isn't anything else a boat that's 13 yrs. old is going to receive customer service wise. Bottom line, there is no other boat that had two different frames the same year, they knew it and offered no help!   Retired Coastie.........Semper Paratus!
  • Options
    Understood...glad you're here and THANK YOU for your service!
  • Options
    john744john744 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

I bought a used 2002 FV 310 last year (2012).  I had a question regarding construction of the boat.  Blasted off an email to Rinker, hoping for only an email response.  My phone rang one day and it was Randy Rinker calling me!   Rinker doesn't owe me anything (10 year old boat) but Randy took the time to call me and address my concerns.

That's customer service!   My next boat will be a Rinker too!

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    The OEM canvas on my '03 fit poor and didn't hold well, even with a lot of TLC.  I replaced it with Stamoid material and window material (and tinted) and got some upgrades done as well.  Way easier to take care of!  Just my .02

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    The parts dept is very responsive to questions.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Was there a list of issues with the generator to look out for that somehow vanished from this thread or is it in a different thread all together.  It is referenced so wasn't sure if somehow this info was moved.  None the less it might be good info to have for us with finicky Kohlers.
  • Options
    I think it was my list. Darned if I remember what post it was under. I can relist it again or message you with it.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig, The older Kohler 5E kawasaki has some personality. Do a google search and youll find dozens of posts to answer most any question. I think boomer also had a post on them in the library/archive/KB.

Mine is 8yo with only 45hrs and runs well...so far. Common issues are more related to lack of maintenence like control box corrosion from engine hatch drippage, exhaust temp sensor, oil pump gear breakage and impellor issues. BD, anything that can be added over in the archive would be great. Thanks, mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big thank you to Randy Rinker. A local marina tech dropped a tool damaging the new wood floor of our 2013 EC 310. My wife was really upset and e.mailed Randy for suggestions. He was right back with a solution (keep the area damp for a half hour then use a heat source to reswell the dent) it worker REALLY well. My wife is very happy with response time and solution, and we all know that a happy wife is a.....Thanks Randy!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594 mod
    I may have to try that with a small ding I have. =D>

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream Inn. If you're going to try this I will add some information. My company used to build custom homes with real hardwood floors. No matter what we did trades would always drop tools on our floors. I knew long ago to get water right on the spot to start the swelling process. Then we applied heat after a few hours of lwtting the water penetrate the wod fibers. However - those floors were solid wood right through. My wife asked Randy for his opinion because we felt the Corboo (bamboo) wood flooring might be a composite or laminated. IF that were the case one would have to be very careful applying the heat and we were. We applied it and waited then reapplied. I did not want to overheat the wood and de-laminate it. It's one of those cases where if you over heat it you can't go back.There were also a few very tiny dings made by the dealer's techs and I solved these with a "tradesman's" wax fill stick. You work this into tiny dings and polish it., which also works well. For the bigger dings Randy's suggestion is the way to go. Best of luck and go easy with that heat gun! P.S. Minwax also makes a great stainable wood filler. Skew code 67166-52851 or minwax.com  If anyone wants to use this product try it first on a board to see how it drys etc. Then I would use masking tape aall round the ding, fill the ding with the Minwax, sand it carefully to avoid sanding outside the repair area and then stain it. I have had great success with this product on clients' custom floors long after we've sold a house to them.
  • Options
    Good stuff, you guys...thanks!