Loud hailer speaker - who makes one that isn't cheap plastic?

LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 3,495Member ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking for a hailer speaker that is of higher quality than the typical cheap plastic ones.  Any suggestions?

I'm talking about an external PA loudspeaker mounted on a radar arch or hardtop.  Standard Horizon and Shakespeare both make affordable horn speakers that work fine, but they are made from "impact resistant plastic" with cheap-looking plastic mounts.  After 1-2 seasons, the plastic turns yellow and looks crappy.  I have yet to find one made from a durable material.  

The products from Simrad, Mister Fish and Raymarine are slightly better, but they are all plastic.  

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,613Member ✭✭✭✭✭

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 3,495Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks BD.  I did see that one, and it seems to be a grade above the Standard Horizon, but still not what I'm looking for.  Ideally, I'd like one in steel painted white with a cast stainless steel mount.  Or maybe a stainless/chrome finish horn.  

It looks like I'll have to just buy cheap, and treat it like a 2-year disposable item.
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 4,205Moderator mod
    Why not paint the one that BD showed you and keep a coat of wax on it???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
    That's a possibility, but I am guessing it would still look like crap after a year or two. Plus, I just think it's odd that nobody makes a high-quality marine hailer speaker. I'll keep looking.

For what it's worth, here's what I have seen so far.
    Cheap: Standard Horizon, Shakespeare, Newmar, MG Electronics
    Slightly higher qualilty: Raymarine, Simrad, Mr. Fish 
    Getting one in metal/stainless might be a challenge.  Forming it would be tough, needing a deep draw die or stamping and welding it.  be heavy I bet too.  You could just paint it yourself too. 

• BoatAwayBoatAway DCPosts: 179Member ✭✭✭
    the other thing you might try is to treat the new one with 303 and see if it last longer. spray the heck out of everything, maybe yearly...
    Thanks folks. If the people here don't know of a really nice hailer speaker, that probably means it doesn't exist!
  • trich11trich11 Posts: 108Member ✭✭✭
    Take a look at a Moose MPI-38. I have used these for years for alarm systems and have never had fail.
    I spent another 2-3 hours researching this topic.  The comment from trich11 led me to some fresh paths, including siren speakers, pager speakers and alarm horns.  In the end ... drum roll ...

... I bought the usual crappy plastic marine hailer speaker.  What the heck, I'll replace it in 2-3 years when the plastic turns yellow, chalky and brittle. 
    Use the 303 or Woody Wax on it and it will last longer.

There are some types very resistant to UV, but usually expensive and not used for injection or centrifugal molding, it has to be machined like metal.  Your general 'plastic' does not tolerate UV unless coated, I'm sure you've seen some turn to dust or become brittle.

I did find a few sturdy-looking aluminum horns, but most are painted battleship gray, and none of them met my spec.  (I needed white, 4 Ohms, 30 Watts, max 8" wide, with a mount that tolerates shock and vibration).  If I ever find one, I'll buy it and get rid of my plastic toy horn. 

WD-40 --- why didn't I think of that.  Corrosion would be too afraid to attack WD-40!  When WD-40 does pushups, it isn't pushing itself up ... it's pushing the Earth down.  WD-40 has a grizzly-bear rug, but the bear isn't dead ... it's too afraid to move.  
    LaRea said:
    ... I bought the usual crappy plastic marine hailer speaker.  What the heck, I'll replace it in 2-3 years when the plastic turns yellow, chalky and brittle. 
    As predicted -- my plastic hailer speaker is yellow, chalky and brittle.  Am I asking too much?  Is it really that difficult to make a speaker that will last?  I mean, how about a fiberglass horn finished with gelcoat?  

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 5,316Member, Moderator mod
    I'd try a paint on it at this point, what have you got to lose?  I'd say you just didn't keep enough UV protectant on it! :)  Hard to believe there is not any metal ones out there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,354Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is interesting about this is that it is very possible to make white plastic for marine applications that last. Not as long as metal, but more than a few years. Look at white boat port's, they last, not sure why marine hailer and speaker manufacturers wont move to something that will last.
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Delran, NJPosts: 367Member ✭✭✭
    These will last way longer than any chinzy plastic ones you find.  You may have to paint to suit your needs.
    https://www.galls.com/galls-100w-speaker?PMWTNO=000000000002260&PMSRCH=
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 1,384Member ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I should hijack this thread or start a new one.  I'm in the market for a new VHF and was thinking of one with a hailer function.  Does anyone use the hailer horn sounds in place of the regular helm horn button?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    I don't use mine for that.  But I do use it as a microphone now and then.

@Dirtythirty, interesting find.  But if I'm going to paint a speaker, I guess I'd just paint the one I have.  Matter of fact, I suppose I should just paint it and shut up.  
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 4,205Moderator mod
    Not sure why everyone thinks a metal one will last longer in a salt water environment. The reason they only last a few years is because the manufactures want you to keep buying them. Yes they can be painted, seen it many times. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
  • bry1429bry1429 Southern Lake Michigan Posts: 284Member ✭✭✭
    Durable enough IMO
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 1,952Member ✭✭✭✭
    bry1429 said:
    Durable enough IMO
    "We're on a mission from God!"
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Posts: 531Member ✭✭✭
    "There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses."
  • TonyG13TonyG13 ChicagoPosts: 216Member ✭✭✭
    "Hit it!"
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 1,384Member ✭✭✭
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now."
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3