Options

sea valve access...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I close mine when not in use. for the AC that means always open (except for cleaning the strainer a few times a year). For the head that means closed when I'm away from the boat. etc..
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

I occasionally cycle mine like BD but otherwise leave them open. No need to close them unless it's an emergency or I'm in a no discharge zone that requires it. In that case I think they require an additional fastener like a lock or nylon tie-wrap.

MXZ. That box is the shower sump and has its own bilge pump and float switch. They are the bane of many boaters and are an intermittent problem at best. Sounds like its time to open it up and  get personal with its host of gremlins. Some may pump grey water to the holding tank while others discharge out a through hull fitting like mine. Have fun and good luck. Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    aero, you don't need to close them when under way. (actually, I've had times when I had to go under way to prime my A/C one) Now, it does make good sense to open/close the seacock so it does not bind. It shold not cause any leak issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

MXZ - there should be an active switch on the bilge pump itself.  Do you have a multimeter, can you check for power at that bilge pump? It could be the bilge pump has kicked the bucket.

Also, can you clarify, are you saying you have no bilge pump inside the box, and the box just overflows into your emergency bilge area?  Could this have been changed by the previous owner? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aero, I keep them open all the time. People may need to use the head while we are out.  I also don't want to mess around with the valves too much. The only time I close them is to stroke them every month, to ensure they don't seize.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

mx- this is an old post but I believe what your referring to as see thru is the sump pump for the shower only.....and it will discharge out one of the side outlets...

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

so far I just leave mine open unless I'm in salt water....per Tiki, salt water in the black water tank will not do....so, would use fresh water from the shower for water for the can.....