Options

sea valve access...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
New proud owner of a 2005 270....I'm trying to get a handle on things before I put it in the water and have a few minor things to fix to be sea worthy......on my survey, it was found that the sea valve for the gen was stuck open.  First, can these be serviced and 2nd, how the heck do you get to it? It was pointed out during the survey that it was underneath the boat, right beside the depth sounder pickup but I don't see any access to it.  I would like to understand where all the sea vales are located and how to get to them.  I have all the manuals as it was a one owner boat which will help with replacement parts and stuff but it tells you basically nothing about the operation of this boat.  I know most is common sense.  For example, and keep in mind I'm just looking at this big beast sitting out front wondering what I got myself into, on either side of the boat there is a fitting that says "water"? I know it only has one holding tank for clean water and then a tank for the other.....is not one of these "water" fittings for pump out? I'm going to have a lot of questions I'm sure....also, looking on the power panel, and I have a gen., what the heck is the reverse polarity mean? It has shore power as well as the gen. On the plus side, I did figure out how to turn on the radio....also, I hit I was playing on the dash and hit the bilge switch....quite a bit of water pumped out.  Aren't the bilge pumps on a float switch and should it not have automatically pumped it out? Must have been all the rain on the way down but was surprised.....do both pumps work off the same switch?  Really love the boat and can't wait to be ready to hit the water and as soon as I get her all cleaned up I will post the pics! Also looking at a lot of other fittings coming out the sides, some above and some below the water line and don't have a clue yet what they are but soon will!

Comments

• Options
    what about that sea valve for the gen....where is the access to it in the floor?????
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

rasbury,

I have a 2005 342 but can help a bit. As a matter of fact, I just had the generator Seacock replaced because it would not close all the way. It is in your engine compartment next to your generator. One of the hoses off your generator will terminate in the floor of the boat. A foot or two before it reaches the floor, you will see a value/handle. When the handle is in line with the hose, it is open and lake water can be pulled in to cool your generator. When the handle is at 90 degrees to your hose, it is closed. Not sure how you replace it since I paid the marina to do mine but it only costs about $150 labor and all. Your other Seacocks will be for the toilet which uses lake water and one for the A/C unit if you have A/C. Some of the other fittings on your hull are the drains for the sinks and shower and the output for your bilge pumps. Yes, the bilge pumps are automatic and work off a float. You probably had enough water in your bilge for the pump to pull it out but just not enough to activate the float. Or the float might be stuck. I'd check it. Both pumps work off the same switch. As far as reverse polarity, when you connect your shore power cord, sometimes the poles get reversed and you just need to turn off the power at the dock and reattach the cord to the boat until you get the green light......someone else knows more about this then me I'm sure.

Your waste tank opening is where they attach the pumpout hose. Just take off the cap and the fitting on the hose will screw on. The other side is for fresh water. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

rasbury,

Just to clarify, there is a water tank on one side and a waste tank on the other. You do not have two caps that say water..........

Thanks,

Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse polarity light when on means you have a wiring problem, usually on the dock.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I have the same year, same boat except mine doesn't have genset. Freshwater on the port side, holding tank on the starboard. I too was shocked how much water needed to be in the bilge for the float to activate, I have never had my bilge automatically turn on. After a lot if rain or a lost of cleaning and hose spray I will manually turn them on and get a couple,seconds of water flowing. As said before. The reverse polarity is indicative of a shore power wiring issue. Let me know if your have any other questions.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's trailered just raise the bow and leave the drain plug clamped/tied to the steering wheel (so you don't forget to put it in before you head to the ramp) and let that bilge stay as dry as possible. Your other 2 valves are under the aft bunk just behind the stairs. Spray penetrating oil into the valves from underneath for a few days and try to slowly work them loose. They have to operate flawlessly or they may fail when/if there's a serious problem. I'd make sure that each of them is double hose clamped too.

Get down in the bilge and learn, clean, service every hose/connection and fitting by heart. It's the life blood of your new water sled. Good luck. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    thanks all...When I had the survey done, he pointed under the hull about half way up when we did the haul out and showed me what appeared to be a water inlet and said that was for the gen and then there was another "plate" and he said that was for the depth finder....makes more sense that is is back by the gen.  He also stated that the water pickup for the boat motor was through the foot like by run a bout but that there was also another pick up at the back of the boat somewhere which I have not researched.....what the heck would the water pick up half way down the hull be for? Would make sense that would be for the a/c...I just want to make sure I know where every one of those are so if something starts to squirt water I know what to turn off before the water line is over my head!  I'll get a count of "holes" in the hull and maybe take some pictures and perhaps someone can help me identify what they are for.  I know from the survey the gen is stuck, I want to check them all and understand this before I put the boat in the water......the manuals are pretty useless when it comes to all this stuff...thanks!
  • Options
    but, I still have no idea how to access what ever is half way down the hull and how to get to it as it looks like you wold have to go through the floor to get it...I'm thinking it is for the a/c but it has a metal grate on the outside of the hull and takes on water....
  • Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    I just bought the same boat a month ago.  Same year too.  The a/c seacock is under the stairs behind an access plate. The two seacocks in the engine compartment (engine cooling pickup and generator cooling pickup) are easy to find and access once you crawl in.  There is another engine cooling pickup that comes through the outdrive  Like others have said, you need  these in good working order.  There are also a bunch of discharges on the sides of the boat - sink drains, a/c drain, bilge discharges, etc. 
  • Options
    You should have thru hull water pick ups for: toilet, genset, & A/C. The depth sounder goes thru the hull but just looks like a 'sealed' hole.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I thought I was getting it but now I'm confused again! I looked up under my boat last night and see that the one I described above was further back than I recalled and would assume that for the gen....I don't see any other thru hull fittings around the transom area or bottom of the boat.....I need to do some more looking I guess!
  • Options
    There should not be a thru hull near the transom (except the bilge drain plug).  All three should be more or less between the engine front and the stairs into the cabin for a general reference.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    He just needs to spend time(a week) in/under the boat. As was already said, there's one seacock about 5' fwd from the transom on the strboard side for the genset. Then the other two are amidship on the port side for the a/c and toilet intake water. Because the last two are so close I've taken a sharpie pen and written right on the outside of the hull which is the a/c and which is the toilet intake so I can flush the a/c with my plunger head hose adapter after every outing.

I never use saltwater to supply the head. Just too many microbes that'd thrive/morph in my holding tank with our tropical heat....... think, creature from the black lagoon. Or the little critter that jumped outta that guys bowels in Alien.

That said, and aside from the fact that no Admiral likes a sailor with a frozen seacock... I found all of my seacocks either frozen or nearly done and freed them with gentle lube and tlc. So, keep yer seacock lubed in case of an emegency....... or something like that..

And....why are there two threads on the same topic?
     Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Hey Mike- two topics cause it's challenged me at the wheel.....as I was working on my brakes today (what a mess I have) I did notice the two further up on the other side, when we did the survey haul out I did not see the two on the other side towards the transom, thought they were further up. It's taken two days of cussin to get two wheels off and the hubs/bearings cleaned up. Also, the master cylinder only had about an inch of rust/sludge in the bottom of it...guess I'll know the braking system pretty well...so what do you do in the salt water, jugs of water to run the can? I never considered the salt water would be an issue but now that I think about it....also, on our way down to that restaurant, I think they recently opened. 
  • Options
    Also, I have 4 total on the bottom, 2 in the front and two in the back...the "grates" are different....on each pair, one looks like a drain on a shower (round with lots of small holes) and the other one is more "open" for lack of better description.....did you make the flush for the a/c or something that was purchased? Sounds like a great idea to me....and where is the water going to shoot out? Somewhere besides the cabin I'd hope....
  • Options
    and on the seacocks, are they "serviceable"? You mentioned lubing them...was not sure if you were just taking advantage of using seacock and lube in the same sentence or they could be serviced!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I suspect, as was mentioned, that one of your 4 is merely the transducer for your depth finder and not a water intake.

Brakes were no good for the whole trip? Someone's looking out for you! Good luck and you'll know how it all works when you're done. No short cuts allowed. With a 600mi trip behind you with no incidents you've most definitely used up your grace.

Westmarine has a toilet plunger looking hose adapter with an adjustable rod/prop that youd prop up against the intake from underneath, turn on the water hose and THEN the item needing a flush like the motor and a/c (separately). DON"T run the motor beyond 1500 rpm or it'll suck the hose flat even with  great water pressure. let 'em run for 5-10 mins. Enginge water outlet is at the outdrive. The a/c outlet is on the starboard side above the waterline amidship.

Those intake hoses need to be double clamped and in great shape. You really don't want to experience a hose/valve/clamp failure/crack. Often over looked, these are a serious failure point that can sink a boat in mins.

I'd try spraying penetrating oil up into the valves from underneath and let it soak a few days then start to gently work them a little at a time. If they refuse to budge then that'd be another thread or some Google research on how to replace a thru-hull fitting.

Hope the Boat Tree is still a good spot. We may end up that way again soon. Cya, mike
  • Options
    we went out to the resturant (why don't we have spell check?) as we thought it was open but it is not....will check it out again when they are open....I will lube them up and hopefully break that one loose. I need to start a scrap book for all the good ideas you all are sharing so I can go back through them! I was trying to get the boat ready for a hopeful test run/get it in the water this weekend but then I read another post where someone lost their boat on the first time out for a seacock that leaked so slooowing down and making sure I am good to go!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toilet plunger device is called "fake a lake". It is primarily used when flushing an inboard, like a ski boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I'm looking this 270 over trying to get the lay of the land....I looked around inside compartments and still do not see a sea valve for the two center/left side of the hull....this would be for the a/c and the other for the can I believe...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Pictures help?? Port side amidship  ABOVE the waterline is only a sink drain from the galley on my 270. No valve on those....look under the sink and you can see how it's routed.

If we're still talking about BELOW the waterline and you haven't pulled up the mattress bedding in the aft bunk behind the steps then a whole new world of challenges/headaches awaits you below that 18x12" lid. The shower sump is nobody's friend and they share a room with the two gate valves (A/C and Toilet) and another bilge pump. MAKE SURE that everything in here works flawlessly and is clamped correctly. It may be outta sight but if a valve/hose fails and the bilge pump running goes unnoticed for too long in here it's probably game over for the sea sled.
    Have fun.
    Mike

• Options
    Tiki: did you add the seacock labels yourself?  I like that idea if not for me but anyone else to identify too in an emergency.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    They sell them at West Marine and just add a dab of 3m 5200. If I'm using a snorkel to see them it'd be rather important to quickly see which-is-which :D
  • Options
    awesome! You know I was thinking last night after I buttoned up the cover that I had not looked under there and kept thinking these valves were further up than that.....a whole other world under there is looks like...
  • Options
    You'll learn there are things hidden away in every nook and cranny  :D  The more you explore the better you'll know YOUR boat.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MXZ0588MXZ0588 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Tiki,

Looking at your picture I am having issues with the galley sink that drains to that box. I fill the sink and water starts running out of the box and the bilge outside the box is not kicking on even with the manual switch on the dash. My box is not see through like yours. Is there a float switch located in this box? And I am assuming that water is not supposed to run out the top as mine is and bilging with another pump inside the box?.

2001 Fiesta Vee 242. 350 MPI. B3.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys leave you sea cocks open all the time or close them when under way? I would always close mine and I think that caused a slight leak at the base. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Good question Aero - I leave mine open - was never told different. Comments guys? MT

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is a placard in my lav saying to keep it closed while under way. I've been closing it ever since I bought the boat 3 years ago.

2008 330EC
  • Options

Mine are always open, I open/close them a few times a season for cleaning strainers. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI